Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dk Customs external breather issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 PM
ajk511
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dk Customs external breather issues.

Took my bike in this weekend to get it looked over before my warranty expires and the tech said he noticed excessive crank case vacuum when he pulled my dip stick. He checked with a gauge and said it didn't return to normal readings until he disconnected the breather hoses from the breather bolts. He thinks the T connector for the external breather set up is too small. Anyone else have this issue before? I'm wondering if it's just due to my routing. I went up and over the heads, along the frame under the tank and then down the frame to so the filter sits under the regulator. Any thoughts guys?

Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I call bullshit on the mechanic

Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, I don't care for the over the heads route, it defies gravity and there are some laws you can't ignore without enough pressure and that ain't enough pressure. I say re-route under to a common filter and you'll be golden.

Make sure your tubes and fixtures from the breathers are large enough inner-diameter but again, under goes with gravity and that's one thing we are all beholden to

The following users liked this post:
shekmark (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I always thought the same thing about going up and over on the breathers. I was looking at the system pictured below, but felt like there wouldn't be enough pressure to push the condensation and oily crud out of the heads. I just kept thinking that this stuff would accumulate inside, and cause issue.

As far as the issues the tech reported, that just doesn't add up. The pinner holes in the banjo bolts would cause more restriction than a standard brass T.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I don't care what anyone says, I don't care for the over the heads route, it defies gravity and there are some laws you can't ignore without enough pressure and that ain't enough pressure. I say re-route under to a common filter and you'll be golden.

Make sure your tubes and fixtures from the breathers are large enough inner-diameter but again, under goes with gravity and that's one thing we are all beholden to

I agree with SBM.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ajk511
Took my bike in this weekend to get it looked over before my warranty expires and the tech said he noticed excessive crank case vacuum when he pulled my dip stick. He checked with a gauge and said it didn't return to normal readings until he disconnected the breather hoses from the breather bolts.
Maybe he meant excessive crankcase pressure? External breathers don't really pull any vacuum.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:09 PM
ajk511
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man

Done deal. I'll re route them tomorrow.