Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Fala816
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vibration problem

I have an 05 superglide custom that I bought last year. It has always had what I thought was too much vibration. With the help of a cramp buster I adapted to the inevitable numbness in my throttle hand. A little over a month ago I had my stock tc88 upgraded to the stage ii se 95 kit. Now not only is the vibration in the handlebars worse, but I now have vibration in the foot pegs. Two weeks ago it vibrated the seat screw out of the fender. I took it back to the dealer and they claimed that two of their techs test road it and didn't feel any excessive vibration. Tonight after riding 25-30 miles I pulled into my driveway and the top crash bar mounting bolt cracked in half. I am at my wits end at this point and I'm looking for any suggestions that might help.
When I initially picked the bike up after the engine upgrade they told me that since the race tuner had a download for the Harley 95 kit that it didn't need to be dynoed. But I overheard them tell someone over the phone that the dyno machine was down. I called them on it when I dropped it off for the vibration problem and they insisted it didn't need a tune. Not sure if a dyno would smooth it out any, but it's more about the fact that I felt lied to and with it running this rough I feel like they'll do anything to skirt any responsibility in the matter.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked at the front motor mount?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Fala816
5th Gear

I replaced the front motor mount over the winter. I also tried shimming the mount when I replace it, as suggested in some other threads on this forum. It didn't seem to make that much of a difference, so I removed the shims.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:21 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fala816
I replaced the front motor mount over the winter. I also tried shimming the mount when I replace it, as suggested in some other threads on this forum. It didn't seem to make that much of a difference, so I removed the shims.
Did you do engine alignment as well? Also do your vibrations correlate with or occur at certain RPMs?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Is the Mount clearing the frame x-member,as described on Service Bulletin M-1324,i found it & attached it,this cured the vib on my last Dyna.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
M1324.pdf (249.6 KB, 864 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Fala816
5th Gear

I did not do the full alignment procedure. When I changed the mount I let the bike run 5-10 prior to torquing bolts. But I have bags on the bike and only have a bike jack, no lift, so I really can't get at that rear mount too easily. When I took the bike to the dealer I asked them to do the vehicle alignment because I couldn't. But they didn't because they felt it wasn't vibrating excessively and therefore was unnecessary.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Fala816
5th Gear

And I did lol at the mount when I picked it back up and I believe it had plenty of clearance. I will have to look closer at it when I get off work. And also read that notice you attached. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Fala816
5th Gear

And I did look at the mount when I picked it back up and I believe it had plenty of clearance. I will have to look closer at it when I get off work. And also read that notice you attached. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Check the service bulletin referenced above. The inadequate clearance they mention in the front motor mount is a common problem, and can show up even on new mounts.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

If your MoCo tune for the 95 kit was anything like their Stage 1 download (which is crap) your bike will vibrate like crazy.

I didn't realize how much mine vibrated with the Stg1 tune, until I bought a separate tuner package and got rid of the MoCo's tune.... night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Dyna vibration problem