Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:33 AM
highplainsrider
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why a Dyna?

Ok so here's the deal. I have a 2014 Street Glide just like every other person around here. I want something different. I love the club bikes and no one up here is really running them. I want a nimble for a cruiser, stripped down bike. So I guess that puts me in Dyna territory. My question is what do you guys like so much about the Dyna's? I'm either looking at this or a competitor bike. I can't decide if I buy new or buy an older bike and build. I would love to do twin discs, inverted forks (don't know if possible), and eventually better shocks for handling. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Clean. Simple. Classic. Lighter. Nimble. Cheaper.
Can add anything to go anywhere, then take it off.
Like foot pegs, don't like windshields. Like the sounds better than music.
Love the vibration at idle.
Buy older if you thoroughly check it out, and it's that much cheaper than new.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally, the Dyna was the only Big Twin in my budget, and the blank canvas of the Street Bob also fit me well.

I've had mine a year now, and I went from the stock apes, bobber solo seat to an after market set of apes, and solo seat, and a few small upgrades. I was never a real fan of the fairings you usually see on the Dynas, but then I rode a bike with a HD 1/4 fairing installed.... SOLD! Decided at that very moment that narrower bars, with a little less pullback, and sport minded suspension was where I needed to be.

SO here I am... 12" West Coast T bars, HD 1/4 fairing, a new set of mag wheels, and I am just about decided on my suspension upgrades. Thinking I;ll go with Works shocks in the rear, and Works cartridges in the from. Ohlins does make an inverted front ended kit, but the cost is out of my range right now.

https://www.dynamicdyna.com/shop/ohlins-forks/

They also have a Kraus setup as well.

I did the mandatory stage 1 setup, then made comfort modifications, then was going to go to suspension. Ended up needing a rear tire, and I found a good deal on mags, so that mod moved to the from of the line. Now my finger is itchin to hit the Buy Now button and at least the rear shocks.

So many options out there, but you can find a lot of good information in the Thug Style / Club Style thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...yna-pic-s.html

Lots of guys in there have done several different suspension upgrades, dual disk conversions, and some nice engine mods.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Caseyrey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me a Dyna just makes sense. I love how much fun they are and how easy it is to add some bags, a rack and now I'm ready for touring or strip it down and hit the hills going ***** out.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:00 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

Most *real* motorcycle of all big twins. Road king would be next in line for me as *real*. Dyna's are most customizable of all big twins. You and plenty of guys like club style-I used too. Lots of guys like to leave them alone. Then there are people like me that like the charm of a retro look. Some folks turn them into tourer style or bobber style.
I thought I wanted a road Glide for about a minute. Too much crap IMO. Don't feel the need for infotainment system and I ride solo, wife has her own bike. I use the word *real* cuz thats my opinion.
I want another dyna for a bobber hot rod style- I'd Like to put an FL front on it or start with a used switchback and get rid of the mags, bags, giant seat and fenders. Slim front fender like my wifes bike and bobbed rear fender like newer street bob. 16" laced wheels with balloon style tires-keep footboards though-JMO- but you can head any direction with the dyna canvas.

>>>>edit-I just read Antonio's post below and agree-you should ride one and see if it's the bike for you-I just gave my own personal reasons, maybe you like softail, v-rod or whatever. Ride then decide!

Last edited by fskitch; 05-05-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: RIDE ONE FIRST
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts

It's good to ask opinions and hear from owners. You will get lots and lots of reasons by own a Dyna from this group. However, the BEST way to see if a Dyna is in your future is ride them. Within the Dyna family you have several distinct choices with different ride "personalities"

The Fat Bob's front end and forward controls have a different ride when compared to Low Riders, Super Glides or Street Bobs with mid controls. Or add forwards to these two if you wish.

If you like floor boards, removeable windshield and hard bags ( A Dyna Road King) then you may love a Switchback.

The things they all have in common is they are lighter, quicker and more nimble then the touring bikes. BUT, you will give up that hands off the bars straight line stability on the highway and you will feel the wind in your face.

If any of these Dynas do grab you the best bet is to find a used one as close to stock as possible. Treat it as a blank canvas and make it yours. Investigate all the options available to you and ask the good people on this forum about their experiences. It IS lots of fun!

Cheers!

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 05-05-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM
East_Coast_Dyna_Mike
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The dyna was in my price range and similar to the comment above about *real* motorcycle, it grabbed me in that regard. I like the raw feeling of riding a motorcycle with some wind in my face and the agility of a lightweight bike.

If you're into the club style look, don't be fooled by looking at stock dyna models, I'm a firm believer any of the dynas can have a great club look. I've seen some nice switchbacks and fat bobs on here. Not just street bobs, low riders, wide glides and the like.

You really can make it whatever you want. I like riding mine stripped down, but when I want to I can pop my bags and quarter fairing on and go for a long highway cruise.

Try a few out, see which of them you like.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,402 Likes on 21,386 Posts

Why a dyna?
Cuz everybody needs a place to eat at once in a while.

The following users liked this post:
Antonio Balls (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Why a dyna?
Cuz everybody needs a place to eat at once in a while.
Yo, yoo makin' fun of da way us New Yawkas tawk?

Ohhh, Fughedaboudit!!

Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why a Dyna? Because it isn't a Softail, Bagger, Sportser, or VRod...(or Street 750)

In all seriousness, for me...it's the most practical of the Harleys and suits me best.

Softails are fine for straight line cruising but they're more show than go...the whole concept was disguising a sprung motorcycle as a hard tail. Form over function.

Bagger...I honestly can't afford one, and there's just more going on with them than I want. I don't need all the fairings, hard bags, floorboards, stereo, etc. And the look isn't me...I like the Dyna's minimalist lines.

Sportster...not enough bike, not comfy for more than around town.

VRod...liquid cooled, awkward riding position, not versatile enough for me.

Dyna...the lightest frame with a big twin motor and a frame/suspension that actually lends itself to cruising, twisties, etc...it's the closest thing I can get to a late model FXR. Perfect for barhopping, downtown, commuting, or long distance. I've put down 600 miles in a day on my FXDB and didn't miss a beat, so I can certainly "tour" with it. I know guys will say they can do the same with a Softail or Bagger, but I don't think they blur those lines as easily, and the Dyna is what works for me.

Quick Reply: Why a Dyna?