Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter clutch or compensator

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

It's commonly caused by a weak battery. Check that first.

One way of checking is to jump it to another battery, and see if the problem goes away.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Just my opinion... but to me, since it only happens on hot-starts, you have too rich a mixture set for starting... and yes, there is a 'table' for that. Unfortunately you need a tuner to access that... I dialed mine in based on temp so that I get a good start... it still sneezes once in a while on a hot restart...

Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same thing going on for a long time. Mine is 2007 FXD with 8000 miles. Many people will say battery, but I literally put a new battery in 2 weeks ago...still happens. Drives me nuts. Let us know if you figure it out.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 743 Posts

My 07 Dyna did that constantly. Usually just wait a minute and it'll start up. 4 years ago, I converted it to a CV 40 with a stand alone single fire ignition. Since then, I have put over 40,000 easy starting miles on it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,679 Likes on 6,684 Posts

Starter clutch is bad & the battery seems a little weak. Get it fixed before you destroy the ring gear.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

I say compensator. '07 street bob made same exact noise-compensator was bad. Went to SE-all good.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I knew I wasn't the only one that had this issue, its nice that someone actually posted a video of it. I have 50k+ on the bike, changed intake, exhaust, and added tuner at around 35k, no other engine mods. I have had this issue only when the bike is hot, like if I pull into a gas station and fill up then go to start. If the bike sits for around 30 minutes, it starts right up. I have noticed that if I remember to let the bike run for about a minute after I stop, the odds of it happening drop. Battery change, changed tune, changed out plugs and wires, change gas company all of which didn't change the problem. Often wondered if it was a compression problem or extra fuel in the engine from shutdown or prime causing a flooding. I will follow this thread and see what comes of it.

Has anyone experienced this issue with a completely stock setup? Wonder if the slightest AC/exhaust/tune mods cause this because the compensator isn't truly designed for the 96+in motors.

I did watch a few videos on the SE compensator, definitely worth the upgrade if I want to do more power upgrades to the motor.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM
iamrfixit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 wide glide got pretty regular kicking back and grinding on hot starts, and most of the time it seemed to crank over very hard cold or hot. I would sometimes have to let off the button and try again because it just wouldn't crank over. My battery was almost 8 years old so that was the first thing I tried. No difference at all. I kinda blamed myself for leaving the original battery in so long, thought maybe I ruined the starter.

After some reading and talking to a friend about the problem he had with his, I decided to replace the compensator. Installed a SE comp and a baker attitude manual tensioner. Had a small leak on the inner primary seal too so I did the inner primary bearing, S&S no walk race and seal while I was there. Cranks over way better and has had no grinding and kickback on hot starts so far. My old comp still looked fine, but the new one is far smoother. Think the comp spring starts getting weak and causes problems, the SE has huge springs compared to the stock one. Everything just seems a lot smoother with the new comp. 20k on it and it feels like new again.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:10 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Happened to me again today...started up just fine, rode for a few miles to the hardware store. Was in the store about 5 min and when I went to fire it up, got a big cough out of it. Fired up on the second try.

Only happens when the motor is hot; my battery is good. I really hope the OP finds a fix for it and shares....may be the compensator like a lot others are talking about?

Also, as a side note......rode to the hardware store without a helmet on (usually never do this, but today it is just plain HOT!!!) Holy crap my engine makes all kinds of noise!!! I guess the helmet muffles most of it because all I am use to hearing is my exhaust.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:49 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Starter clutch is bad & the battery seems a little weak. Get it fixed before you destroy the ring gear.
I think this might be the way to go. My 07 FXD did that same thing for a while and then one day it just locked up. Had to replace the clutch basket, gear lost a tooth or two. Had the clutch basket and starter replaced and have not had the problem since. I tried the battery first and thought because it ran fine after it started it was good. Someone else said it already, pull the primary and look it over.

Quick Reply: Starter clutch or compensator