Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Football cover over HD Ventilator

Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts
Default Football cover over HD Ventilator

I've got a Ventilator A/C on my FXDLS, which while it looks nice, is completely exposed. I already have crap building up on the leading edge of the element, after only 1000 miles. Plus, if it rains and I don't have the sock on it, I risk water infiltration into the motor.

I have the original stock filter that came with the Ventilator at home (changed it to a K&N) and a football cover. The football will just fit over the element, enough to cover it in the event of rain, snow, hail, locusts, etc. However it's pretty close. The 4 corners of the element touch the football.

Kinda like this:

The red is the K&N. The filter media is around the perimeter. It's pretty close to the football in the corners. My concern is if the football will impede the air flow of the assembly.

I know I could always go with a Ness Big Sucker or similar, but I have this so I thought if it would work, it solves my concern... What do you think?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

If you're just talking about the football cover and not the backing plate, it should flow enough air. If the bike runs the same with it you're good. You can always cut out some of the bottom section for more air and it won't be very obvious unless you're looking for it.
Should you decide to change the intake, I suggest getting one that has external breathers.