Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not to beat a dead horse.... Or a cow in this instance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Reaperhd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not to beat a dead horse.... Or a cow in this instance.

Hello all new to the forum. I have a couple of questions.

I just inherited my father inlaws wide glide. Its a couple states away and i decided id ride it back. Here the dilema. He was a short man. 5'8". And im 6'6" and 300 lbs. and a 35 in inseam.
currently installed are some 16-18 in apes and a seat that puts you up on the tank.
I would like a seat that is down and back from stock which given the seat on it now should give me 6 inches or more leg room. I need a seat i can ride all day on. And the wife has requested a comfy seat for her as well.
Im looking at the danny gray weekday 2-up xl. Thoughts comments questions or any advice please.
Also wanna swap the apes for fat drag bars any help with what's involved and parts needed would be greatly appreciated as ill be flying in swapping parts and riding out to return home someday lol.
Thank you

Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Go to Mustang Seats website. Order a Wide Vintage seat. Gorgeous, and you can run forever on them. Reasonably priced too.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm also in favor of the Mustang Vintage Wide seat. I've got the one with the drivers backrest and it's a really comfy seat. The passenger seat is a nice wide touring seat.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Reaperhd
Advanced

How far back and down does it put you over stock

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

What year is your FXDWG? Mine is a 2010, which is the first year after they redesigned that model. It sits rather low. I'm 5'5" and have no trouble sitting on the seat and having my feet flat on the ground.

The Mustang seat makes me sit higher up. It's not really back all that much farther just higher.

Does yours have the stock seat or an aftermarket reduced reach seat?

Do you have photos?

Some dealerships have "test" seats that you can put on your bike to try out. You might check and see if a dealership near where the bike is located has this option.

I just noticed that you've only got 2 posts, I think you have to have either 5 or 10 posts before you're allowed to post photos so that's not going to be helpful.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Reaperhd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Firewoman
What year is your FXDWG? Mine is a 2010, which is the first year after they redesigned that model. It sits rather low. I'm 5'5" and have no trouble sitting on the seat and having my feet flat on the ground.

The Mustang seat makes me sit higher up. It's not really back all that much farther just higher.

Does yours have the stock seat or an aftermarket reduced reach seat?

Do you have photos?

Some dealerships have "test" seats that you can put on your bike to try out. You might check and see if a dealership near where the bike is located has this option.

I just noticed that you've only got 2 posts, I think you have to have either 5 or 10 posts before you're allowed to post photos so that's not going to be helpful.
No pics as of yet. It has a seat that put him like 2-3 inches forward. Im waiting on confirmation but it's either an 04 or an 06.
I already know i need forward control extenders.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 PM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not on a wide glide myself .. but my Mustang Day Tripper was comfy from the jump .. my point .. Mustang builds a good product .. mbm48

Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reaperhd
No pics as of yet. It has a seat that put him like 2-3 inches forward. Im waiting on confirmation but it's either an 04 or an 06.
I already know i need forward control extenders.

OK, that bike is a different design than what I have. It's probably got a reduced reach seat. Check with the dealerships near where the bike is and see if they have test seats. Seats aren't cheap and are non-returnable so you want to make sure what you're buying is really what you want.

Also if you're going from Apes to drag bars that is going to change the position of your body in the seat so when you sit on the test seat make sure to lean forward as though you've already got those drag bars on it.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default just my 02 cents

if your going from apes to drag bars your screwed from the get go. your 6'6 and with drag bars and and a goose down feather seat you wont go more than 150 miles without your back screaming. you will be reaching forward. stay with the apes, it's the simplest way for you to fit on the bike.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Reaperhd
Advanced

I was thinking about doing the drag bars w pull back risers. With my long arms should be able to be pretty upright.

Quick Reply: Not to beat a dead horse.... Or a cow in this instance.