Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Air Baffle/Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 PM
rideamap
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dyna Air Baffle/Wind Deflector

Fabbed this up over the weekend. Hoping to reduce small amount of buffeting.

Last edited by rideamap; 05-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about doing that. I hope to hear that it works. Nice work by the way.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:57 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool! What is buffeting?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AKFXD
What is buffeting?
It's an issue with windshields, air moving over the top and bottom mix at a certain spot create a turbulence at higher speeds, (usually 40mph and up) behind the windshield. It can make a nasty vibration around the riders head. If he's wearing a helmet it can really shake your head around .
Blocking air from underneath, sides or creating an air flow mid point in the windshield changes where that turbulence occurs.
The term "Buffeting" is usually used when a riders helmet is rocking around.
The 18" quick detach windshield the previous owner bought creates helmet buffeting so bad I can see straight anytime after 50mph,, If I crouch down I don't get it,, but who want's to ride like that,, the Quick detach is "detached".

Last edited by JohnMn; 05-23-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 AM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
It's an issue with windshields, air moving over the top and bottom mix at a certain spot create a turbulence at higher speeds, (usually 40mph and up) behind the windshield. It can make a nasty vibration around the riders head. If he's wearing a helmet it can really shake your head around .
Blocking air from underneath, sides or creating an air flow mid point in the windshield changes where that turbulence occurs.
The term "Buffeting" is usually used when a riders helmet is rocking around.
The 18" quick detach windshield the previous owner bought creates helmet buffeting so bad I can see straight anytime after 50mph,, If I crouch down I don't get it,, but who want's to ride like that,, the Quick detach is "detached".
It sounds like the windshield creates an unstable low pressure pocket that pulls and pushes on the helmet. So you are looking to stabilize that pocket or change the size of it so the helmet is affected less.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM
rideamap
Advanced

Just hoping that the baffle isn't too far from the bottom triple tree. As you can see there's a gap on each side. Didn't want it too close cutting into the brake line. Couldn't find any good pics online but hoping this is how people did it on the Dyna's. Now if I can just find the time to ride it and test it out...

Old 05-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Interested to see how it works. I've seen others do similar things with varying results. I rarely ride with a windshield but have a QD Super Sport for long rides that might involve rain, its not just the buffeting that bothers me, but the updraft that blows my beard up in my face.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 PM
rideamap
Advanced

I will post results next week after my trip to Oregon. Should be hitting rain. I run an 18" rifle roadster fairing and while the upwind to the chin isn't unbearable I'd like to cut it down or eliminate it completely on long rides to help with fatigue.

Don't have the problem with my beard cause I usually always wear a full face. But the full face catches more wind which is one of the drawbacks.

By the way, nice burn out!

Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting. I had rifle, now run t-sport. Still catch buffeting from time to time above 80. usually when it's windy (crosswinds ). Also have been using chin curtain since October, would be interesting to pull it off and check

Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM
HDexplorer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be watching this thread. The air on my fatbob seams to come up from under the tank and between my arms. It causes my sunglasses to wiggle around. Annoying on long rides.

Quick Reply: Dyna Air Baffle/Wind Deflector