Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 58mm TB on LR-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default SE 58mm TB on LR-S

I was talking to a tuner who suggested I buy the SE 58mm throttle body for my FXDLS before he dyno tunes it. Said it would make a difference well worth the $350 price tag. He also said he needed a SERT tuner because that's what he was more comfortable tuning, vs my PV. Now I'm not sure I want to add the additional $400 to the cost of the tune (for the SERT) - but his recommendation on the TB intrigued me.

I thought I read that you can run into "drivability" issues with the larger body - larger increase in throttle response - harder for low speed manuevering?

I don't want to detract from the manners just to get a couple ft/Lbs max out of it, but if that's not the case, it may be worth it, even if I don't go with him. The other drawbacks of the tuner is he's pretty far away and I'd have to leave the bike for THREE days! Which is painful this time of year.

Anyway, anyone have experience with a 58mm TB on a 110?

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Would it "work" yeah,but going right for the TB as the first and only mod (so far) seems odd. Cams/headwork..........TB?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,509 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Subscribing. I am anxious to see the outcome. I attempted to go this route as well. I was told to hold off until I bumped the CR with some heads.

One of the local guys did it with the '15 CVO 110 on his Street Glide, and went back to stock, claiming he had lost his low speed/idle mannerisms. I am not sure which TB the 110 CVO comes with. I thought it already had the 58mm, but apparently I was wrong.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
Would it "work" yeah,but going right for the TB as the first and only mod (so far) seems odd. Cams/headwork..........TB?
Yeah, seemed odd to me too.

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Subscribing. I am anxious to see the outcome. I attempted to go this route as well. I was told to hold off until I bumped the CR with some heads.

One of the local guys did it with the '15 CVO 110 on his Street Glide, and went back to stock, claiming he had lost his low speed/idle mannerisms. I am not sure which TB the 110 CVO comes with. I thought it already had the 58mm, but apparently I was wrong.
Its strange, this guy is supposed to be one of the best Dyno guys in NY. Hillside sends their customers there. But what you wrote was exactly what I heard. I don't want to be surging around a parking lot or a city street just to get a little more at 4k+ rpms.

Not sure I'll ever find our though, as this shop wants me to leave it for three days, and it's a huge PITA to get home and back by train/bus.

Called Rosa's on LI and they gave me the same story - leave it for a few days... Granted, getting home from LI is a fair bit easier then Troy, but they want a SERT too, won't do a PV tune.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to end up with two tuners for this bike. I should just leave it alone as its running great. But we all know that never happens...

Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

TTS is no longer the preferred tuning system?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:57 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

SERT can suck it. Stay with the PV, add the Target Tune option (allows stock ECU to read from Wide Band O2s), and tune it yourself when it is convenient for you.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all steer clear of a tuner that wants you to buy a new tuning device. The power vision does the same things as the harley tuner and then some and really works the same way, the software is just a little different. I know where you can get the bike tuned while you wait with your power vision if you want to travel to ct. You can pm me.

As far as the throttle body it will work fine and be very easy to ride with a good tune. The larger throttle blade will move more air at any given throttle opening, meaning more throttle response and more power at lower throttle positions. This can be a little more difficult to ride in slow maneuvers or traffic if you're not used to it, but it's definitely not a jerky feeling, just more responsive. The good thing about your S is that it comes with a fbw throttle body and you can use the tuner to actually tune how responsive the throttle is to smooth slow speed operation if desired. On the ones I've done like that on a wot sheet they seem to make a little less midrange torque and about 5 more hp. It should get it over 100hp. Just about any bolt in cam will gain hp and lose low end torque over the stock 255s. This is a decent compromise as you gain a little hp that the 255 lacks without giving up the torque and the bike will feel better on the street wit the added response. Whether it would be worth it to you is hard to say.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:10 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Seeing that you have not done any upgrades internally to the engine, buying a 58mm TB is a waste of money at this point. Any gain you might get will be in an RPM range that you use very little.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:16 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Seems AWFULLY large for a 110 with a low redline. I'm running a throttle body smaller than that on a 2 liter that redlines at 8k. It makes about 200hp.

Check this out...

http://www.hipermath.com/math_center...g_calculations

Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Just hanging around cause I want to see the end result. Nothing meaningful to add other than I agree with Vdop is you could arrange anyway to get out to him

Quick Reply: SE 58mm TB on LR-S