Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a low rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been an orphan since I was 17 and am currently available for adoption, just in case he needs to give away any other bikes.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

That's a great gift. But you better check the CA DMV about bringing a new bike in from another state. Riding to CA is not how I'd break in a new/engine. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. According to the HD site adding the CA smog stuff is only a couple hundred bucks. So that is something I'll definitely have them do. Also, I'm actually a WA state residient and since I'm Active Duty Navy I can register there until I retire. Though that is only five years from now so it would be better to have it have proper CA smog stuff.

Waiting to buy until I get back is a viable option, and if they can't do the smog stuff will be how I do it.

Thanks for the info about running the RPMs up and down. The dealer is far enough away from my in laws place that the first 30 miles will be done right away and I'll have a few days to keep putting it through that for some miles

I spoke with Pikes Peak HD today and they have a 117 Low Rider S in stock and MIGHT have a 110 S as well. As long as they can add the passenger stuff and the smog stuff I may be riding that 117 off the lot in the next day or two.

I also asked about that kind of a ride to start with and they said that HD is now saying to not worry about special break in procedures. Though they still recommend basically what y'all have been saying.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:34 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unreal

Old 05-24-2016, 12:36 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WH1_T-type
Thanks for the replies everyone. According to the HD site adding the CA smog stuff is only a couple hundred bucks. So that is something I'll definitely have them do. Also, I'm actually a WA state residient and since I'm Active Duty Navy I can register there until I retire. Though that is only five years from now so it would be better to have it have proper CA smog stuff.

Waiting to buy until I get back is a viable option, and if they can't do the smog stuff will be how I do it.

Thanks for the info about running the RPMs up and down. The dealer is far enough away from my in laws place that the first 30 miles will be done right away and I'll have a few days to keep putting it through that for some miles

I spoke with Pikes Peak HD today and they have a 117 Low Rider S in stock and MIGHT have a 110 S as well. As long as they can add the passenger stuff and the smog stuff I may be riding that 117 off the lot in the next day or two.

I also asked about that kind of a ride to start with and they said that HD is now saying to not worry about special break in procedures. Though they still recommend basically what y'all have been saying.
If you are not registering in CA, then don't worry about the smog crap. Waste of money IMO

Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
If you are not registering in CA, then don't worry about the smog crap. Waste of money IMO
Question then is if I could add he smog crap later. I can only register in WA until I retire, that is in 5 years. After that I have to register where I live. Which will most likely be in CA.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Question then is if I could add he smog crap later. I can only register in WA until I retire, that is in 5 years. After that I have to register where I live. Which will most likely be in CA.
as long as the bike has 7K miles on it, it will not matter.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:57 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
as long as the bike has 7K miles on it, it will not matter.
Cool. Thanks. Test rode one earlier today and boy am I impressed!! Had to move some funds around at the bank.

On my way back to Pikes Peak Harley Davidson to negotiate price and get a helmet! I'll have it for the weekend and start the trip back to San Diego on Monday!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

As other people have mentioned, the most important things during initial break-in are to stay off of redline, and avoid prolonged constant engine RPM. You can cruise at a steady speed for awhile, but use different gears to alter the engine speed.

You should check with the Service Manager about the mileage of the first service... Mechanically I'm sure it's no big deal if you're a couple of hundred miles late, but some manufacturers have warranty rules that stipulate certain services be completed within a certain percentage of the recommendation. The last thing you want is a significant warranty claim denied down the road because the first service wasn't completed within the mandated window. I'm sure the window is wider than 100 miles, but who knows... You might get home with 1,250 on it, might not get an appointment for a week, etc...

Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Cool. Thanks. Test rode one earlier today and boy am I impressed!! Had to move some funds around at the bank.

On my way back to Pikes Peak Harley Davidson to negotiate price and get a helmet! I'll have it for the weekend and start the trip back to San Diego on Monday!
Congrats and ride safely home! If you can register in WA that would be best. then simply ride it and register in CA after 7500 miles so you don't need to pay additional sales taxes or smog business. That's what I did.

Quick Reply: Getting a low rider