Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a low rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Getting a low rider

Hey everyone. I'm currently visiting my father in law in Colorado Springs and he just told me he wants to buy me a new bike before we leave and I'll ride it back. His reasoning is that I've had my Suzuki Volusia for coming up on 10 years and he wants me on something newer. Though the Suzi has been a great bike and super reliable!!

Anyways I'm looking at getting the Low Rider S this Friday and riding it back to San Diego on Monday. My question is the initial service. Seems like it is a 1000 mile requirement. The trip is 1100 miles. Think I'll be ok to have it done once I get back to SD? Or is this one that the motor company is adamant about having done on time?

Last edited by WH1_T-type; 05-23-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Why not ask the dealer when you sit down to discuss pricing?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Iceymike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have anything to worry about from a mileage perspective between 1000 and 1100 miles.

BUT... I would ask them about such a taxing ride on such a new engine.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:43 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceymike
I don't think you have anything to worry about from a mileage perspective between 1000 and 1100 miles.

Thanks. And I will, I did think about that and a very large part of the miles will be dropping down form the Colorado Front Range, to the High Desert, and then to the desert. Lots of down hill!! Also, my wife will be driving our Prius back and she likes to keep it under 70 MPH as she gets 50MPG when she does.

Originally Posted by cggorman
Why not ask the dealer when you sit down to discuss pricing?
I will, just like to get others opinions and see if anyone else has done the exact same thing.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I have a hard time imagining a couple hundred miles either way of the specified mileage will matter.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM
djorgensen3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I can tell you that 3500 rpm in 5th gear will get you 80 mph. And once you click over 500 miles, you can drop it into 6th and use the cruise control. Just vary the speed a lot until you get to the 500 mile mark. There are Harley Dealers along your route so maybe take that into account as you plan your trip back and if you have any issues, keep their numbers handy in case.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

great way to break in engine! I need father in law like that!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Tanium
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are in San Diego and want to purchase that bike from Colorado, you better check the $350 part you need to be California emissions compliant. You might not be able to register that bike in California. If you do get it and there are no issues, make sure you do not keep the same RPM on the motorcycle for more than 10 miles at a time. Drop the RPM and get it back up every 10 minutes. It is a part of the break in on these bikes and it really does make a difference for wear, stretching out new parts etc. The 1,000 mile service is basically tightening all the parts back to spec after "WEARING them in" Good luck on the trip too. Im headed back to my home town in Ventura Thursday. Need to be there Friday by noon.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceymike

I don't see that being a taxing ride. If anything, cruising all day in one gear in a narrow RPM range is easy on an engine.

OP, I reckon you'll be fine. Just run it up and down through the gears and the RPM range a bunch of times, mainly the first twenty miles, if you're worried. Honestly though, metallurgy and engine design, and factory setup practices, have come far enough that a stock Harley engine is pretty much broken in by the time you get it. The components haven't worn into each other as much as they will have when you hit 1k, that's why the first oil change is so early, but apart from that, you're golden.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Yup... You will defiantly have registration problems with a bike that has under 8000 miles on it. If I remember correctly, you can't bring in anything under 8000 miles unless you yourself are moving into the state. Even then, the smog impact fees ( I believe that's what they call them) will be a good chance of change.

You may be able to have all of the Ca emissions equipment added to the bike, but I am sure it'll cost you.

I would contact the Ca DMV and explain the situation before you do this. Maybe he can buy it for you once you get back to San Diego.

Quick Reply: Getting a low rider