Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a 1995 Harley Dyna Low Rider be a fairly reliable bike to own?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:53 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would a 1995 Harley Dyna Low Rider be a fairly reliable bike to own?

Attachment 474039

I have my eye on a 1995 Dyna Low Rider, mint, perfect color for me, 30,000 kilometers. (I'm a Canadian.) bone stock except for Screaming Eagles, and original saddle bags and windshield. He's asking a lot more than high book value, but I might try to meet him half way. I had a 1998 Dyna Convertible (above photo), but I sold it a couple of years ago, and I regret it.

The bike was bought in Ft. Myers. It had sat, I think, for a lot of years. (shipping and customs weren't cheap.) It had 6,400 miles on it. When I bought it, I didn't know anything about Harleys. I had to have the bike inspected from the government to make sure it was road worthy. I had to buy new tires. I had to have two top rocker box gaskets installed. Some parts were falling off the bike when I was driving it because I didn't know the fasteners had to be torqued every 5,000 miles. The bike ran really bad because the carb was gummed up. The odometer was flashing intermittently,
but I noticed it was improving the more I rode it. The gas gauge didn't work, but it came back to life about a year later. I had it running pretty good, but what did I do? I forgot to put fuel stabilizer in the tank when I stored it for the winter. Did it ever run bad in the spring. But I sold it, and I sure miss her.

Anyway I realize if I buy this 1995 Low Rider it won't be like a metric bike and just have to have the brake pads changed and the oil changed,
and I don't mind that, but would this bike be reliable enough to go on a long trip? Actually some day I would like a buy a service manual and learn how to work on a lot of it myself. I phoned my insurance company and the rate wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure how much it costs to overhaul the top or bottom of the motor and how that compares to buying a brand new engine.

Thank you.

p.s. Would it be a good idea to put collision on this 1995 Low Rider.

Last edited by WilllyD; 05-31-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Dude. A 20 year old mystery-history anything isn't reliable. Asking our opinions about costs of bikes and the condition of bikes we haven't seen won't get you valid answers.

If I tell you "yes, $30,000 is a fair price for a 1997 883 Sportster" would you buy it?

If I say "yeah, 70k miles on a 2014 seems about right" does that sway you?

Anything you buy is worth what you'd pay for it. Set a budget, find multiple bikes within that budget and pick the best one for you.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emerican19
Dude. A 20 year old mystery-history anything isn't reliable. Asking our opinions about costs of bikes and the condition of bikes we haven't seen won't get you valid answers.

If I tell you "yes, $30,000 is a fair price for a 1997 883 Sportster" would you buy it?

If I say "yeah, 70k miles on a 2014 seems about right" does that sway you?

Anything you buy is worth what you'd pay for it. Set a budget, find multiple bikes within that budget and pick the best one for you.
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you how much the 1995 Dyna Low Rider owner is asking for his 30,000 kilometer bike. He's asking $9,500 in Canadian funds. Also I know it's a mystery bike, and I don't care what kind of paperwork he shows me because I'm going to have it inspected with a shop I really trust.

p.s. Nice bike you have. I heard the Dyna Sports are great.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:36 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

If you pay a premium for a bike (over book value) - it's either for a collectible model, impeccable maintenance, incredibly low miles or showroom quality, or other standout feature.

You mention nothing that stands out. For someone who does their own work, a '90s EVO with the mileage (kilometerage?) that you mention would be a fine bike - but at the right price. The miles are high-ish. The seller is positioning himself on one thing - he's the only game in town. Your best strategy is to play real aloof and let him call you back about if you're interested. A bit of cat and mouse and he may give you a good price. The first one to talk loses :-)

If you don't do your own maintenance, it could soon cost more than a much newer bike. Tread carefully or get really interested in maintenance.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

In general Evo's are vey reliable and fairly simple to work on..as said, this one is a mystery and priced too high.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 AM
WilllyD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thingfish
In general Evo's are vey reliable and fairly simple to work on..as said, this one is a mystery and priced too high.
Thank you for your comments. I won't buy it until it is inspected at the shop here that I really trust. He's asking about $1,800 Canadian over high book value here. I would consider meeting him half way.

Nice bike you have there. Thank you.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

$7500 (9500 cd) usd for an old 1995 is insane. hit him with an insane lowball. offer him 2500-3500 if you really want it... or walk away i personally would NOT buy that headache. let him keep it. i don't care if there are diamonds shooting out of the pipes.

7500 gets you so many other choices... totally your call, you gotta live with it:
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/motorcycle...advancedSearch

edit: is this the bike?

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Harley-D...&orup=1_15_178

Last edited by cvaria; 06-01-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM
213_LooseNoodle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a fxdwg 97 for 6k with 9k miles. I wanted an Evo. Very happy with it. From what I understand by the time you hit 40k miles you have some serious thing that need to be replaced.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

If that is the bike, the fact that it's a FXDS and has the windscreen and bags is a little bit of a plus, but, that bike isn't anything special. I would not call it "mint".

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but could be better for that price. I say it's not worth it. For that money, you can find something better. YD

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,665 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Originally Posted by 213_LooseNoodle
I just got a fxdwg 97 for 6k with 9k miles. I wanted an Evo. Very happy with it. From what I understand by the time you hit 40k miles you have some serious thing that need to be replaced.
Only things you have to worry about are the cam bearing, lifters, & cylinder base gaskets as long as the bike has been well maintained and not abused.

Quick Reply: Would a 1995 Harley Dyna Low Rider be a fairly reliable bike to own?