Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siezed rear wheel bearing newer DYNA's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM
FISM
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Siezed rear wheel bearing newer DYNA's?

I owned a 2011 FXDWG which I loved by the way, and I kept hearing a clicking sound in the rear wheel. The stealership in Gainesville,Fl stated that everything was ok after they checked the wheel bearing, but aftermoving to South Carolina the dealership upon inspection noticed that the rear wheel bearing was no longer seated and spinning inside the rear wheel. Needless to say the wheel was over torqued, and the repair would cost over a grand which included the purchase of a newrear wheel.
I opted for a new scoot since I had ridden her pretty hard, andthey had a helluva good deal on last year’s models with $1000 includedaccessories so I splurged. I purchased anew 2014 FXDL, and opted for the measly stage 3 package. Eight thousand miles later I am riding downthe road and the rear wheel starts to act strange, and I am getting close tohome so I try to make it fearing that I am heading for disaster.
The rear wheel brake locks up and I skid to a halt at 30miles per hour since I seemed to sense that something was getting ready to makemy day special. A fellow biker stops and whips out a pry tool to loosen thebrake, and very thankfully I wobble it home under 30 without using the backbrake. This is my first road sidebreakdown and I have owned several Harleys so kudos right?
The dealerships in South Carolina are booked solid for at leastsix weeks which as a customer is ludicrous to say the least so I call SavannahHD, and they say bring it in so we can hit it the next day. OUT F$$KINGstanding as I rush to load up the bike in the trailer and it’s in thedealership the next business day! The report is the rear wheel bearing, therear wheel, the rear brake are all hosed as well as washers and spacers etc.etc. Another grand repair in the making,but this time the bike is still under warranty.
I do like to crank it through the gears a few times when Iride, but if this is the outcome maybe I need a new setup in the rearwheel. Has anyone else had thisissue? I know a dude who rides wheelieswhich I will not even try, but he has had no issues with his rear wheelbearings. If the rear wheel bearing isbad what about the transmission bearing in the future now after this repair? Now it is possible that the belt was tootight from the factory, but I don’t think so according to the twist test I doevery month and the gauge on the lower belt guard.
I have either tweeked two wheel bearings on two bikes withmy riding style or there is another issue with the Dyna and the aluminum wheels. If my riding style does have something causingthis is there another set up someone can recommend? I mean if I cannot havesome fun or I have to ride it like a grandfather maybe I should switch to acrotch rocket which is cheaper and has way more HP. Don’t get me wrong I love my cruiser, but ifI cannot twist my throttle then to hell with it I will buy a raptor ATV andtweek that!
By the way my last 4 bikes have been Harley Davidson, and Ihad over 13k on my Nightster/Sportster and it did not have this issue. Between the dealership overpricing every GDthing, the inconsistency of service between dealerships and the problems I havehad I want to know if there is better wheel and bearing fix should this happen again. The dealership didn’t even bat an eye when Iasked them this question, and they left a stain on my seat from what lookedlike anti seize vial.

Last edited by FISM; 06-26-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:16 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

If this was a common problem,, we'd already know it.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:38 PM
FISM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnMn
If this was a common problem,, we'd already know it.
Well obviously it is especially if you up the power from stock. I did an initial search for bad bearings but had better luck with bearing FAILURE! It seems HD decided to go with a single row bearing instead of a double row like they used on 2006 and older bikes. The newer bikes have a thinner single row bearing, and yes bikes are having failures which ensures Harley Davidson's financial future.
But hey thanks for stopping by and taking the time for an educated reply!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They switched to crap Chinese bearings. I switched to Timkens(205pp). Use SKF or Timken. I've had a rear wheel bearing failure at about 40mph before and I don't want to imagine a front wheel bearing failure. Ate up the wheel hub, brake caliper mount, and rotor. I've seen a few posts about using W205PP Timkens which are wider but you'd have to redo the spacers.
</br>I don't trust the HD techs to install the bearings right either.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

definitely low quality China bearings from the factory these days.

I'm glad I put new ones in when I put on new wheels at the 10,000mi mark. Just for curiosity's sake I investigated the OEM bearings, they had a small amount of play and very little to no grease in them. They definitely had too much pay for me to be comfortable putting them back in the new wheels.

Buy your self a bike jack and wheel bearing tool if you dont already have those. I plan on repacking these bearings with my next tire change.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Was there grease or were the bearings "dry?"

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

1000 to replce a bearing? did i read that right? glad you are safe

Last edited by cvaria; 06-26-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 PM
FISM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cvaria
1000 to replce a bearing? did i read that right? glad you are safe
That was a wheel, bearing, brakes etc. all of which were trashed.
The dealership did install my new tire for free though.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 PM
FISM
Cruiser
Default Thanks

Thanks to Kraken and 2500hdon37 for the good info, and I plan to do my next bearing change since I already have the jack unless this occurs again before the warranty runs out in Oct.

I don't want to imagine a front wheel disaster. Knock on wood on that one!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...g-failure.html

Older thread on bad bearings, and I cannot seem to find the other three I uncovered involving the same issue. I have to say this is another example of riding a fun machine with a catastrophe waiting to occur if you don't check your scoot!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-4-months.html

Old 06-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I had a rear go on me, but it had been on for almost 80,000km.

I had been planning to change it anyway.

Quick Reply: Siezed rear wheel bearing newer DYNA's?