Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True track and sputhe stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 PM
seabass805
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the thread I have been looking for. I am ready to either buy the sputhe or TT. Anyone happy with the Sputhe over the TT? I have an 04 Wide Glide. I get that crazy wobble after 75mph, and in some high speed turns. Its driving me crazy. Before I spend a bunch of money I would like to know Pros and Cons on both?? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You will be happy with either one, as they are effectively the same product with slight asthetic differences. I couldn't get Sputh to ship in a reasonable time. TT sent them same day.

The following users liked this post:
seabass805 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:40 PM
seabass805
6th Gear

I recently saw this VT Predator mount and stabilizer. Anyone know about it? Better than a sputhe or TT? About the same price but comes with a mount as well as a stabilizer. Or is it ****?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

I've not tried the True track but have tried the Sputhe and the VT.. I can't tell the difference in handling. The Sputhe link is a little beefier and comes with a rear stabilizer. I tried the 2 to see if it helped with vibration issues. Both were about the same there but the advantage went to the Sputhe with a new stock front motor mount. Biggest issue was decel vibes between 2200 down to 2000. Motor is a 116 so I'm sure it didn't help.

The biggest single change to handing was going from stock steel spoked rims to alloy rims with a 180/55 tire on a 5.0x18 rim on the back.. Bike has not wobbled at all since then. It's a DX so it has pretty good suspension..

I would give one of them a try and see if it helps.. I tried the Sputhe when the bike had the original wheels and the bike still danced. Just a little faster..

seabass805 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by seabass805
I recently saw this VT Predator mount and stabilizer. Anyone know about it? Better than a sputhe or TT? About the same price but comes with a mount as well as a stabilizer. Or is it ****?
I initially leaned towards the Sputhe rear stabilizer and a VT or other fancy front mount. Both True Trac and Sputhe himself recommended the OEM mounts. The OEM are rubber compound. All the aftermarket are Poly. So, I don't know personally what's better...but the engineers like the rubber OEM mounts.

My vibration reduced a lot...but my old mounts were 17 years old.

seabass805 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 PM
seabass805
6th Gear

Thanks guys! Yeah I was thinking sputhe in the rear and VT up front. The VT is rubber as well, there website has a lot of info. I didnt know about the spoked steel rims being a problem? They look so good on the bike... I would hate to have to change them, just got brand new tires. Bottom line I really need this bike on rails at high speeds, I hate this slow dance to death stuff over 80mph... Does anyone know how long the rubber mount lasst in the VT compared to stock? Has anyone had it on for a while?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Now i have an 05 with FXDX suspension but with the true tracks, fork brace, and the Drag Specialties front mount the bike is capable of doing more than the Michelin Commanders can handle. Going to have to get some better tires next time. The bike will vibrate more at certain RPM's with the True Tracks installed but that is just the nature of the beast.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Now i have an 05 with FXDX suspension but with the true tracks, fork brace, and the Drag Specialties front mount the bike is capable of doing more than the Michelin Commanders can handle. Going to have to get some better tires next time. The bike will vibrate more at certain RPM's with the True Tracks installed but that is just the nature of the beast.
The more vibration at certain speeds is likely due to the Drag Specialties mount. It's a poly mount made to be stiffer than stock. The TT's only restrict side to side motion, which is not in the plane the engine vibrates.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:46 PM
TacomaBruce
2nd Gear
Default Dyna stabilzers

I've been reading on this topic for some months and accumulating an understanding that I'd like to test in this forum.

I've found Kevin Alsop's description of the Dyna rear-steer problem the clearest and most compelling. He is selling, through BBC, a new rear motor mount that will not flex in the lateral direction, the key problem of the stock rear mount (
). Shifting at the front is also controlled in the lateral direction by his new front mount (
). These items are more expensive than either the Sputhe or Tru-Track but, address both the lateral flex that causes drivetrain instability (rear steer) and the generally weak design of the front mount that causes engine case damage for stunt riders and general failure of the mount for the rest of us. Check out the couple videos on YouTube for an explanation.

The Sputhe and Tru-Track address the same drivetrain alignment problems using links to stop lateral movement at the mount points but do not improve over the stock mount engineering / structure. For half the price, these address most of the problem for most riders. The VibraTech only address the weakness in the front mount, not the rear steer issue that needs to be addressed at the rear mount.

I'm new to HD this year after riding import sport touring bikes for the last 25 years. I've enjoyed getting to know the HD community and all of the possibilities for mods; some great, some not so much, and lots of entertaining commentary. And, its been interesting to need to spend several thousand dollars to upgrade my $12,000 2014 Street Bob to the standard that sport riders expect from their bikes. My last Guzzi had all this sorted from the factory and exhibited none of these handling, and ride issues. And, I'm digging that HDs have such a range of options and a fan base that keeps the whole game interesting. Thanks for sharing your perspectives for my education.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 PM
CJD197
Tourer

Harley does have it all sorted out! They are providing awesome highway bikes set up for the majority of their riders. Now that you've ridden both, wouldn't you prefer to take a long trip on the HD vs the Guzzi? The shortcomings aren't a problem unless you start pushing the bikes outside the average rider.

Nothing beats a 1967 Cadi for floating across large expanses of highway, but that would be the last car I'd want on a race course. Our dynas are closer to a pony car, like Mustangs or Camaros. They are still not Lambos, but you can mod them to get a taste of performance, and still retain a lotta comfort.

Quick Reply: True track and sputhe stabilizers