Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True track and sputhe stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CJD197
Harley does have it all sorted out! They are providing awesome highway bikes set up for the majority of their riders. Now that you've ridden both, wouldn't you prefer to take a long trip on the HD vs the Guzzi? The shortcomings aren't a problem unless you start pushing the bikes outside the average rider.

Nothing beats a 1967 Cadi for floating across large expanses of highway, but that would be the last car I'd want on a race course. Our dynas are closer to a pony car, like Mustangs or Camaros. They are still not Lambos, but you can mod them to get a taste of performance, and still retain a lotta comfort.

Nice way of putting it. Even mustang and cameros need suspension and stabilizers to get them to perform better. I have not yet put stabilizers on my dyna, so I can't answer as to how well the work. What I can say is, upgrading suspension has been the biggest bang for the buck in my opinion.

Let's face it, the moco is in the business of selling accessories, so they purposely leave room for user improvements.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 07-27-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
Nice way of putting it. Even mustang and cameros need suspension and stabilizers to get them to perform better. I have not yet put stabilizers on my dyna, so I can't answer as to how well the work. What I can say is, upgrading suspension has been the biggest bang for the buck in my opinion.

Let's face it, the moco is in the business of selling accessories, so they purposely leave room for user improvements.
Funny that you should put things that way.. Harley really doesn't do much in the terms of suspension.. At one time you could get a DX front tend for something like $800 and the rears weren't too bad cost wise either. Now the prices for those items are way high.. Not enough money in suspension from HD. Not much of a seller as most like chrome goodies..

Whether you need stabilizers depends on a number of things.. Ride it till you find a weakness and fix it.. Suspension is second. My third would be stiffer wheels if you have sheet metal rim / spooked wheels then start looking at other stiffening devices. Oh yeah, tires first.. For example, you are having problems traction in corners.. You can adjust your tires as you improve the suspension and motor power.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by TacomaBruce
I've been reading on this topic for some months and accumulating an understanding that I'd like to test in this forum.

I've found Kevin Alsop's description of the Dyna rear-steer problem the clearest and most compelling. He is selling, through BBC, a new rear motor mount that will not flex in the lateral direction, the key problem of the stock rear mount

Snip
These items are more expensive than either the Sputhe or Tru-Track but, address both the lateral flex that causes drivetrain instability (rear steer) and the generally weak design of the front mount that causes engine case damage for stunt riders and general failure of the mount for the rest of us. Check out the couple videos on YouTube for an explanation.

The Sputhe and Tru-Track address the same drivetrain alignment problems using links to stop lateral movement at the mount points but do not improve over the stock mount engineering / structure. For half the price, these address most of the problem for most riders. The VibraTech only address the weakness in the front mount, not the rear steer issue that needs to be addressed at the rear mount.

I'm new to HD this year after riding import sport touring bikes for the last 25 years. I've enjoyed getting to know the HD community and all of the possibilities for mods; some great, some not so much, and lots of entertaining commentary. And, its been interesting to need to spend several thousand dollars to upgrade my $12,000 2014 Street Bob to the standard that sport riders expect from their bikes. My last Guzzi had all this sorted from the factory and exhibited none of these handling, and ride issues. And, I'm digging that HDs have such a range of options and a fan base that keeps the whole game interesting. Thanks for sharing your perspectives for my education.
I really don't call it rear steer and I've never felt it on the Dyna.. For me the hinge was in the middle or towards the front.. I got a bagger that has rear steered but it's from the weight in the bags, fork mounted fairing and seat position that are the main contributors. Now the BBC rear mount is nothing more than the stock Bagger / FXR rear mount modified to fit a Dyna.. I looked into making one myself but gave up when it looked like it wouldn't fit without a lot off complex machine work.. The mount suffers the same issues as on the baggers but bagger one may work better then the current one on the dyna for stiffness. For me I'm interested more in the point of view of reducing vibrations. While my Dyna handles close to perfect for me, it has some pretty bad vibrations.

The installation looks like a PITA.. BBC front looks interesting but I don't wheelie..

Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

The more vibration at certain speeds is likely due to the Drag Specialties mount. It's a poly mount made to be stiffer than stock. The TT's only restrict side to side motion, which is not in the plane the engine vibrates.
It did vibrate just a bit more when i installed the true track system alone but as far as the Drag Specialties engine mounts are concerned they are stiffer than stock which i like. i can live with a bit more vibration for a little better handling. I ordered the Drag front mount for my 07 touring bike while i have the motor out for a 110 build. Probably going to put them in the XR 1200 this winter.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 AM
TacomaBruce
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and perspectives. Sorting the real upgrade needs from wants from hype is a lot of what I'm valuing the forums for.

I'm just getting to the point in my learning to ride the Dyna harder. The upgraded rear suspension was crucial to comfort and chassis control and I'm expecting the front to be equally valuable. I'll hold off on the engine mount fiddling until I'm clearer about what's needed. There sure is a wide range of opinions and "facts" on this topic and, the engineering / physics explanation of why and how motor mount lateral flex effects dynamic rear while alignment makes sense and seems justified.

Its also true that fear makes people buy things they don't need - like me so, I'm glad to have the perspectives.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
TacomaBruce
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades for the sporting rider ...

Thanks for your thoughts on order of improvements. My Dyna has the stock spoke wheels, recently shod with Michelin Commander IIs. I've been snooping around eBay looking at wheels and see a number of options including 5, 9, and 13 spoke stock units. Any suggestions on which and why to choose something particular? I'm less about the looks than I am about the function.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:34 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Our dynas are closer to a pony car, like Mustangs or Camaros. They are still not Lambos, but you can mod them to get a taste of performance, and still retain a lotta comfort.
It's funny that you wrote this... When people ask me about the riding experience of my slightly modded FXDX, I always compare it to a fourth generation Camaro ('93 - '02). Not particularly nimble in tight stuff (although still fun to push and hustle around), but very effective in long, medium to fast sweepers. Lots of overall grip, but not quick in the transition department. Once you take a set in a sweeper it just stays planted and holds a line well, and you really can carry a surprising amount of speed. Also perfectly good for highway cruising. It's snot a sports car, but it basically is a pony car.

Perfect for me, because I enjoyed every Camaro I've had... '69, '70 (my first car), and '73.