Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What issues can you have with a spoked bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:01 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

It's the amount of spokes that HD uses that I would have problem with. (40)
Good thing is wheels can be easily changed. So if you like the bike get it and swap out the wheels for a decent set of 60-80 spoke.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Regular maintenance including lifting and checking the spokes with a spoke torque wrench.
Start with marking every fourth one with a piece of painters tape, check torque around half spec every fourth then third then second, last check full 55 inch pounds same rotation.
Mostly the front wheel will go out taking the blunt of road punishment.
If you do the spoke wraps and need to pry slightly for the proper install be sure to recheck the torque.
As anything on a bike you need to keep up on it.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
It's the amount of spokes that HD uses that I would have problem with. (40)
Good thing is wheels can be easily changed. So if you like the bike get it and swap out the wheels for a decent set of 60-80 spoke.
I'm curious. What's wrong with 40 spoke wheels? Going to 80 spokes significantly increases weight. They take longer to lace and true..

Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
Can't beat the look. I have spokes on my FXSTC front wheel. No problems so far, but I do worry a little about having a blowout, which can happen easier with tubes. I sure wouldn't let spokes stop me from buying a good bike, they just look too good on a Harley.
my front wheel is tubeless on my dyna... yup, those are spokes.

Last edited by cvaria; 06-29-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Spokes have their place. I'm converting from mags to spokes on my WG. Fit the character of the bike better and it also allows me to reduce unsprung weight and get wide rims without spending kilobucks.

I did notice that my Buchanan stainless spokes called for a nipple torque of 80+ in-lbs versus the 40-50 in-lbs in the service manual. Not sure why that is, but I've had no issues whatsoever with my 40 spoked aluminum rear. I've got about 1000 miles on it now and have checked the spoke tension (by plinking) about every week since I built the wheel and nothing is budging. I haven't noticed any performance or handling or NVH changes since putting it on. Significantly more grip from the new tire, but that's it.

I did do a static balance of the wheel (weights inside, under the rim strip) prior to mounting the tire.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Spokes have their place. I'm converting from mags to spokes on my WG. Fit the character of the bike better and it also allows me to reduce unsprung weight and get wide rims without spending kilobucks.

I did notice that my Buchanan stainless spokes called for a nipple torque of 80+ in-lbs versus the 40-50 in-lbs in the service manual. Not sure why that is, but I've had no issues whatsoever with my 40 spoked aluminum rear. I've got about 1000 miles on it now and have checked the spoke tension (by plinking) about every week since I built the wheel and nothing is budging. I haven't noticed any performance or handling or NVH changes since putting it on. Significantly more grip from the new tire, but that's it.

I did do a static balance of the wheel (weights inside, under the rim strip) prior to mounting the tire.
Buchanan stainless spokes ... You really can't do any better than Buchanan. They've been doing spokes for years and have a fabulous reputation for quality and customer satisfaction.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, their spokes are really nice. I wish I could say the same for the Excel aluminum rim I got. It was embarrassingly out of round. I got it pulled together with a day of fighting on the truing standing, but it shouldn't have been that way. I wish Buchanan/Sun made wider widths.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 821 Posts

I've owned over 45 motorcycle and the majority of them were spokes (think the '60's and '70's). If you're old enough to remember, all bikes used to come with spokes. Of all those bikes, I've NEVER had any problems whatsoever with spoked wheels. None. I have a buddy with a 1999 Sportster Custom with a 21" spoked front wheel. He's never tightened, checked, or had problems with it. Never even had them checked. The bike is 17 years old, he recently replaced the front tire, and they said the front spokes were fine.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 06-29-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:09 AM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Like what?
I assume they have a band similar to what all my dirt bikes had, protecting the tube a bit from spokes.

Dude, you are way overthinking these bikes. Have you actually gone down, and looked at ANY of the ones you have started these threads about?
What issues can you have with a spoked bike?-1998-harley-dyna-picture.jpg

I did go look at the 2006 Dyna Low Rider at Jacox Harley in Mississauga.
I really liked the blue and silver, but it had about 73,000 kilometers on it.
The Wideglide is at a dealer on Kijii. The Low Rider is at a Harley dealer
in Hamilton. No I haven't gone to Hamilton yet nor the dealer on Kijiji,
but I'm not just a Harley dreamer. The photo is of my Harley I sold a
couple of years ago. I just can't make up my mind.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Test ride a couple. One will speak to you.

Quick Reply: What issues can you have with a spoked bike?