Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride it like you stole it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Not sure what you mean. Not once did he cross the center line and only a couple of times did his mirrors end up above the center line. At no point would he have been a "hood ornament".
Did you actually watch the video or are you here just to swing your big cod around to be impressive? A right turn from the fog line at -49 seconds in the video? Snapped the throttle shut, I'd bet, kept him out of the oncoming lane but completely destabilized and near binned the bike. There's your hood ornament right there, no question. I still say his line is sad.

The golden rule on cornering is simple: outside the turn, inside the turn, outside the turn. If you're running so fast you can't make the left/right/right/left transitions you're either moving too fast or trying to be very cool for the camera. This dude is trying to be impressive by running way over his skillset for the camera.

If you want to actually learn cornering technique channel Keith Code, Lee Parks, Nick Ienatsch, and bit of Wyatt Earp...

“Slow is smooth, smooth is fast and fast is fine, but accuracy is final. We need to learn to move in a careful hurry” - Wyatt Earp

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Did you actually watch the video or are you here just to swing your big cod around to be impressive? A right turn from the fog line at -49 seconds in the video? Snapped the throttle shut, I'd bet, kept him out of the oncoming lane but completely destabilized and near binned the bike. There's your hood ornament right there, no question. I still say his line is sad.

The golden rule on cornering is simple: outside the turn, inside the turn, outside the turn. If you're running so fast you can't make the left/right/right/left transitions you're either moving too fast or trying to be very cool for the camera. This dude is trying to be impressive by running way over his skillset for the camera.

If you want to actually learn cornering technique channel Keith Code, Lee Parks, Nick Ienatsch, and bit of Wyatt Earp...

“Slow is smooth, smooth is fast and fast is fine, but accuracy is final. We need to learn to move in a careful hurry” - Wyatt Earp
Actually, re-watch the video, he nails almost every single apex (He keeps the left hand apexes shallow to not have any part of him over the center line). The only lines crossed were fog lines, and most every turn is outside-inside-outside. The only incident is at the -49 mark where he leverages the rear off the ground, but catches it better than the average rider would have, and still doesn't go out of his lane. And this guy rides this way, on this road, a lot. You can tell that by how he sets up for the blind apexes early, and nails them dead on. And he comes no closer to the rocks than any of the riders do at the Isle of Mann. Another thing to remember is that, unlike racetracks that are nearly smooth, many roads have sections where you cannot run the "prefect" line. I have a couple near me that I ride consistently that have major pavement undulations right in the perfect outside-inside-outside line. So, instead, I have to alter the line from "perfect" to avoid the pavement issues, while still going quickly. Since this guy obviously rides this stretch of road, quickly, quite often, it is fair to suppose that in those places where his lines aren't "perfect" there may be a road condition that calls for that imperfect line.

And actually, if you want to learn cornering technique, take a track day course, don't just read about it.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 06-29-2016 at 08:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fxdlx (07-04-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Actually, re-watch the video, he nails almost every single apex (He keeps the left hand apexes shallow to not have any part of him over the center line). The only lines crossed were fog lines, and most every turn is outside-inside-outside. The only incident is at the -49 mark where he leverages the rear off the ground, but catches it better than the average rider would have, and still doesn't go out of his lane. And this guy rides this way, on this road, a lot. You can tell that by how he sets up for the blind apexes early, and nails them dead on. And he comes no closer to the rocks than any of the riders do at the Isle of Mann.

And actually, if you want to learn cornering technique, take a track day course, don't just read about it.

Yea, I'll try that sometime... oh wait Seriously, if you think this guy is all that then have at it, no skin off my backside. He's got some skills, no doubt but he still looks like he's running over his riding ability; I'd like to see a video of him running at a 75% level and see what he really looks like on the same road, I'll bet he's a whole lot smoother and more accurate...

Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Yea, I'll try that sometime... oh wait Seriously, if you think this guy is all that then have at it, no skin off my backside. He's got some skills, no doubt but he still looks like he's running over his riding ability; I'd like to see a video of him running at a 75% level and see what he really looks like on the same road, I'll bet he's a whole lot smoother and more accurate...
There's something about getting into the rhythm. I thought the same thing you did, he looked to be overcooking everything to play to the camera. Not very smooth at all. I often feel like he looked on the first several miles I get into twisty mountain roads. It gets much better as I settle in, loosen up, and get back into the riding rhythm of those kinda roads. He probably gets better as the day goes by too.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I can also use a butter knife as a screwdriver but that doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job.

That guy is on the wrong bike. And I see more wildness than skill.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:33 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by izhd
How is it (Honda) even relevant? 80-100 not even that fast
enough to kill ya o yeah it did kill them

Old 06-30-2016, 08:34 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
i find the knee-dragging excessive, but hell, why not do it. life's too short to go slow...
buncha folks rolling hard in wheelchairs and half-stepping that may disagree. one of our guys decapitated himself showboating on a sportbike.... sad day in the office.

wtf is that even like? your brain doesn't shut off right away.. so you kinda know you fd up for a moment or two. might even see your own body...

Last edited by cvaria; 06-30-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never seen a couple guys just having fun get analyzed so much.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

He can ride for sure but if you look closely at the end that's a bone stock low rider. Probably need to ride like that just to keep the speed limit.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 AM
MORT666
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who needs a sport bike.

Quick Reply: Ride it like you stole it.