Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 FXDL hard start cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:46 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 08 FXDL hard start cold

I just bought this Dyna a couple of months ago. When I got it had been sitting for 2 years. The battery was new 3 years ago. I've noticed, and it seems to be getting worse, that in the morning hit the starter and it sometimes stalls for a 1/2 second then spins the engine sometimes up to 5 or 6 or 7 turns before it fires. The bike has 40k miles and is FI with stock air cleaner and SE slip-ons. I have no way of knowing the maintenance history but I know the PO had all maintenance done at the local well respected HD dealer. I put a new air cleaner element in and new plugs, although the old ones looked good. Because it sat for almost two years I also ran a couple tanks of Techron through it at the recommended mixture. I bought a new fuel filter for it but haven't put it in yet. I'll run some of the current full tank out prior to changing the filter.

I have not had the battery load tested but I think that's next on the agenda. But the rest of the day the bike fires up quickly and surely every time. I ride usually 2 to 6 miles at a time maybe a couple of times per day.

So my question to you is do you think the fuel filter would make it act like that? I also noticed an intermittent pop/miss when held steady at 2500 rpm cruising. Maybe I have more than one problem? Full throttle is no problem and it's a rocket when I do hit it.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its the battery, 3 years sitting around would stuff it,

Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

It turns out that I had a leak in the in tank fuel line that goes between the fuel pump and the filter housing. I replaced that hose with some submersible fuel line and replaced the filter. Starts like a new bike now. Another observation is that I am now getting about 10 more mpg than before. I don't understand why with an in tank fuel line leak I get better mileage now but it does. It had to be running lean with that hole in the hose.