Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide Rake

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 PM
biff.stiffman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyna Wide Glide Rake

Just trying to figure out how far I can rake my Dyna Wide Glide without having to have neck work done on the frame.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Wide Glide Rake

Depends on how well you want it to handle.

Mine has a +5 deg raked triple. The slow speed (parkinglot speed) handling sucks. And if it has any high speed wobble now, it will likely be tripled if you rake the triple tree without addressing the trail by some other means.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
andreguina
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dyna Super Glide year 1998 with a Wide Glide Triple Tree +5º Degree Rake. My HDin high speed (more 140km/h) wooble very much !I try change front whell to 19" for 21" and the result was very bad. I don´t know how I solve this. Some body can help me ?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

biff - if you don't know what you are doing, I'd stay away from getting too radical. There are a lot of physics involved and as the post from andreguina indicates, you can really **** your ride.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
biff.stiffman
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats what seems to be the answers that i am getting from everyone, thrillseeker! I think that i will stick with what i have for now so i will be able to at least ride! Hey would anyone happen to know a good site to get extended cable and lines for putting 18" apes on my bike?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

go on eBaymotors and do a search for raked bearing cups. Get the set for Dyna's. Raked bearing cups with raked trees will give you back your trail, and make it easier to handle

If I would have used just my 3 degree raked forks on my superglide my trail would have been around 1.7 inches.....with the raked bearing cups it will be at 3.5 inches....MUCH better!

Joe

Old 05-22-2007, 12:22 AM
biff.stiffman
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the heads up traveler! Just trying to figure out everything that I want to do to my bike before I get home from Iraq!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

mtnivr,
What year is your WG? Got pics?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Htrod02
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 5 degree triple trees on my 97 wide glide and ALSO have it lowered 2 inches in the rear, this seems to level the bike out and I have 0 wobble, even at 100 plus. I also have a buddy who has a 2003 softtail who just put a set of 5 degree trees on his and he has a terrible wobble, but he doesnt have the *** end lowered yet. He is doing that as we speak. The 5 degrees will drop your front about an inch and a half, you need to drop the rear to compensate for it.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

lowering the rear end has the affect of effecting the rake.....it "adds" rake to the frame, making it more stable with the raked trees. Raked bearing cups are just one way to keep from chopping on your frame. If you ever have your bike completely dissambled, it would be the best time imaginable to have the neck tube raked, so that the entire frame can be powdercoated, IMHO...

PERSONALLY, If I ever have Susie all the way down, I will rake the neck to 40 degrees, and clip off the rear fender bracket "horns".....but I doubt I'll ever have her completely torn down, so this is my compromise...

Joe

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide Rake