Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go from 48 to Street Bob...More Comfy??

Old 07-23-2016, 09:34 PM
weever82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go from 48 to Street Bob...More Comfy??

Hey guys,

I currently own a 2015 48 but I have been having some back pain and wanting something for comfortable to ride when I go 40-50 miles. 95% of my riding is in town and like 15 miles each way (work and back).

I am a pretty small dude 5' 7" 160lbs so the 48 fits me well but just wanting something a little bigger to throw the wife on the back and a bigger tank.

So question is... will it really be anymore comfortable? Apes will stretch me out a little and won't have to bend over as much but hits the bumps just as hard? My 48 feels like its a rough ride but don't have much to compare as it is my first Harley and all crotch rockets before that.

Any opinions or comments would be great.

Thanks for reading!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:42 PM
skooli
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for the 48 directly, but my Dyna is much more comfortable than my Wife's Iron 883 was. I think the Iron has the same basic suspension and seating position as the 48. And I'm willing to bet, just based off the stock seats, that a new Street Bob is considerably more comfortable. The Street Bob is actually pretty nice to ride.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Irishman301
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The street Bob feels just like a bike should feel...the sportsters feel too small. Just take a test ride on one, or at least just sit on one, and you'll see what I mean. You will definitely feel much more comfortable on the street Bob. I'd 100% go for it.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

I love my street bob... even with the stock seat and suspension I can easily cruise 100mi non stop with zero discomfort.

I love the mid controls for really riding the bike and having fun in corners and while in traffic, and I've also got highway pegs mounted in the forward control mounts. Works perfect for stretching out on long rides. Add better suspension and a better seat (which are my plans) and it'll only get better.

I also drive my bike about 17mi each way to work whenever possible, and there are stretches of highway in there and IMO the street bob is perfect.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 PM
weaverkb
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I just went from a 72 to a Switchback. There is no comparison in comfort level. After a 50 mile ride on the 72, I was ready to call it quits for the day. On the Dyna, 50 miles is just getting started. Not to mention; many, many less fuel stops. I'm 5'8" 180lbs and I fit fine on it.

Last edited by weaverkb; 07-23-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Tanium
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 48 and test rode the street bob, much more comfortable, but I ended up the the Low Rider S. I did not like the Apes and I did not like the power curve on the Street Bob. The Street Bob has the no frills 103 and I felt like my sportster was a little quicker when taking off. Might just be the weight ratio. The Low Rider has the High Output but I didnt like all the chrome. This was a big decision with me just getting the FXDLS. Go check them all out and make a decision in person, a world of difference. I tested the Street Bob and Low Rider. Didnt test the Low Rider S before I purchased it though and there is a completely different ride with the new Emulsion Shocks on the S. Much better stock than the Street Bob or Low Rider.

Last edited by Tanium; 07-23-2016 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
relykz (07-25-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Uncle Sam
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If your longest rides are no more than 50-70 miles, I doubt you will need anything more than your 48. Now if you are thinking of turning some serious miles, a SB with a 2-up badlander and some good shocks will do the trick for sure. I put 500+ mile days on my SB without much discomfort at all.

What it sounds like is you need a better seat and different bars for your 48 to get it where you need it.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:00 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Sam
If your longest rides are no more than 50-70 miles, I doubt you will need anything more than your 48. Now if you are thinking of turning some serious miles, a SB with a 2-up badlander and some good shocks will do the trick for sure. I put 500+ mile days on my SB without much discomfort at all.

What it sounds like is you need a better seat and different bars for your 48 to get it where you need it.
Good advice!

The 48 has one the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat on. You might as well strap a brick to the frame and ride it.

The streetbob is a wonderful bike but a new seat would be cheaper and might just solve your problem.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Stock for stock, the Street Bob is a much more comfortable bike. The SB would definitely be my preference over a 48. I even found the SB's stock seat pretty comfortable. If I bought a SB the first mod I'd do would be upgrading the rear shocks. I'd even go 1" longer shocks for a little more comfort & ground clearance. But in stock form, right out of the box, the SB still rides much better than a 48, or any other Sportster. Some say to change this & that on the 48 and it will be better. True, but if you change the same things on the SB, it will still always be a step ahead and more comfortable than the 48. JMO

Enjoy your new Street Bob!

Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

We share a lot in common. I am also 5'7 and 160, like you I had a 48 for 3 whole weeks before getting my street bob (long story as to why).

The 48 is an incredible bike and if I could afford 2 bikes it would definitely be my second. Is the street Bob more comfortable... In a way, it's more laid back and a heavier cruiser feeling a lot more stable. The 48 with a good seat and better suspension can also be incredibly comfortable but it will forever be slightly faster in response, lighter, and frankly "twitcher". I felt exhilarated riding my 48 but I enjoy the ride more on the street Bob.

I used to race bicycles and when I first got on the 48 the feel of it reminded me a little of one of my race bikes in how quickly I could flick it around. Then I got a different bike with less aggressive geometry, I rode just as fast and descended even faster, the street Bob is exactly the same. I ride faster and now longer because the relaxed geometry of the SB is so much more stable. when I had the 48 my longest rides were about 80-100 miles, now I ride way more in part because its so much fun.

So short story long, you can make your 48 more comfortable but spend some time on the street Bob before pulling any triggers because it's a completely different ride that may not be the answer you were looking for. One last thing, the forward controls on the 48 are much closer than forwards on the SB, stick with mids if you make the move, you probably won't reach forwards on the dyna that well.

Good luck!

Last edited by robbyville; 07-24-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Go from 48 to Street Bob...More Comfy??