Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going back from custom to stock pipes Street Bob

Old 07-28-2016, 03:09 AM
frellboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going back from custom to stock pipes Street Bob

Hi guys,
Being kind of a noob at mecanics and not strong in posting,I do have to say that I already learned alot by just reading and searching for info on the forum.
Now I could use some help, advice and opinions on the subject exhausts.
Bought myStreet Bob, a 2007, two years ago and it came with a Fuel Pak, K&N filter and Vance & Hines short shots staggered.
So basically this is a Stage 1 upgrade right?
Now maybe I’m imagining it, but some things don’t feel really right.
In the low rpm’s the bike doesn’t pull much and when I twist the throttle it’s loud, I mean LOUD!
So this is my second point, I find those pipes to be quite loud.
Also popping at deceling.
Contacted V&H but that didn’t do much good. (changed some values but no result)
Not really a problem.
And this brings me to my question, I would like to change the V&H SSS pipes back to stockpipes. (for now)
When I dot his, will I feel less torque, will the bike lose significantly power …. Do I have to retune (I imagine yes) any idea which map I should select? (saw somedifferent opinions)
The stockpipes didn’t came with the bike, but for 50 € I can buy them almost brand new.(the guy put other pipes on, when he bought his Street Bob in 2007)
In the near future I’d like to exchange the mufflers for some nice slip-ons, retune and have some more low end.
Is this theory valid or am I totally wrong on the subject?
Cuz that’s what I understand by reading posts, threads and visiting sites addressing this subject.
Maybe there isn’t a “one solution” to this issue, but your opinions and info are welcome and appreciated.
Sorry for the bad English, I’m from Belgium.
Thanks and as always
Ride safe

Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2016 Street Bob has a grip of low and mid torque and runs great and sounds decent but not to loud and gets decent mileage. I decided to not go with a fuel controller on this one and kept things simple and practical, decent sounding and cost effective. Short Shots are loud and can rob some of the low and mid torque on a stock motor (There pretty short and pretty wide open on the baffles making them pretty loud)

My set up and it's a daily rider. Stage 1 air cleaner with K&N filter, Harley stage 1 down load no additional fuel management, V&H 3" Twin Slash slip on mufflers with the V&H quiet baffles installed. The quiet baffles sounds good in my opinion (nice HD tone, not ear piercing) the good thing about them is they maintain the low end and mid torque on a stock motor. A lot of mufflers and pipes are to wide open (to loud) while producing good top end you loose mid and low HP & torque.

There are those that will bock at this set up but it works just fine on a stock motor while maintaining decent sound. I leave for work early and I am sure the folks sleeping appreciate the mellow rumble verses the original louder stock V&H baffles that came in the 3" Twin Slash slip ons.

Your stage 1 air cleaner will work fine with the stock mufflers. You may want to remove the Fuel Pack until you decide what your going to do in the long run.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails going back from custom to stock pipes Street Bob-img_4012.jpg   going back from custom to stock pipes Street Bob-dyna-with-mufflers.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 07-28-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Putting back on the stock pipes will gain back the torque and quiet the motor. Just what you want!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 AM
frellboy
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply Bill.
I don't think my bike has the HD download, just the short shots, high flow filter and Fuelpak.
I would start out by changing the pipes for stock pipes with stock mufflers, keep the high flow AC and retune the fuelpak.
Afterwards I'd be putting on other mufflers and retune again.
Ride safe bill

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by frellboy
Hi guys,
Being kind of a noob at mecanics and not strong in posting,I do have to say that I already learned alot by just reading and searching for info on the forum.
Now I could use some help, advice and opinions on the subject exhausts.
Bought myStreet Bob, a 2007, two years ago and it came with a Fuel Pak, K&N filter and Vance & Hines short shots staggered.
So basically this is a Stage 1 upgrade right?
Now maybe I’m imagining it, but some things don’t feel really right.
In the low rpm’s the bike doesn’t pull much and when I twist the throttle it’s loud, I mean LOUD!
So this is my second point, I find those pipes to be quite loud.
Also popping at deceling.
Contacted V&H but that didn’t do much good. (changed some values but no result)
Not really a problem.
And this brings me to my question, I would like to change the V&H SSS pipes back to stockpipes. (for now)
When I dot his, will I feel less torque, will the bike lose significantly power …. Do I have to retune (I imagine yes) any idea which map I should select? (saw somedifferent opinions)
The stockpipes didn’t came with the bike, but for 50 € I can buy them almost brand new.(the guy put other pipes on, when he bought his Street Bob in 2007)
In the near future I’d like to exchange the mufflers for some nice slip-ons, retune and have some more low end.
Is this theory valid or am I totally wrong on the subject?
Cuz that’s what I understand by reading posts, threads and visiting sites addressing this subject.
Maybe there isn’t a “one solution” to this issue, but your opinions and info are welcome and appreciated.
Sorry for the bad English, I’m from Belgium.
Thanks and as always
Ride safe
Read the dyna crossover stock header thread.

The following users liked this post:
frellboy (07-28-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:08 AM
frellboy
Intermediate

Sorry for bringing this back up but I have a question 'bout the active exhaust valve.
These pipes have the active exhaust system, and because the module is not installed, I would like to take advantage of the fact that now I can leave it of.
But blocking the valve in open position and keeping it there, is somewhat a problem.
How do you guys go about this and could you share maybe a picture.
Tried to read it, but english is a bit difficult sometimes.
Greets from Belgium
Ride safe.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can share what I did with mine and maybe that will help a little when you decided to go back to slip ons. I went from stock to Rush Slip Ons 1.75 baffles, HD hi flow air filter and the Vance and Hines Fuel Pack. After a short while I noticed popping on decel and the bike just didn't feel right. I switched to the Dynojet Power Commander for my 07 Street Bob. I am happy with this set up now. Runs good no popping. Can't speak of torque and performance as I am not much into that side. Just wanted the Harley sound with out burning the engine up.

Joe

The following users liked this post:
frellboy (12-30-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 AM
frellboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ybnormal67
I can share what I did with mine and maybe that will help a little when you decided to go back to slip ons. I went from stock to Rush Slip Ons 1.75 baffles, HD hi flow air filter and the Vance and Hines Fuel Pack. After a short while I noticed popping on decel and the bike just didn't feel right. I switched to the Dynojet Power Commander for my 07 Street Bob. I am happy with this set up now. Runs good no popping. Can't speak of torque and performance as I am not much into that side. Just wanted the Harley sound with out burning the engine up.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Mine pops also, kinda like it.
Because the fuelpak was on the bike, I didn't look much into the range of available tuners, maybe I should.
I'm planning on changing the mufflers in the near future and maybe exchange the FP for a "better" one.
Already asked my friend to cut the piece witht the aes off and reweld a piece of pipe.
Should be fine.
I'm not after a rocket ride, but I do want a smooth bike with a nice growl in the bottom. (a bit of pop now and then is permitted )
Thx everybody for your insights.