Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Finished my Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:17 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I Finished my Bike

I'd like to thank all of you on the forum. Good reading, excellent input...and now I've finished putting together the perfect bike for me. I've modded everything that needs it and if I didn't do it I don't want it.

[/URL]

It started 2 years ago with the realization that the kids are old enough that I can get a bike after 20 years of none, and I won't have to worry about what happens to them if I rack myself out on the highway. Sorry kids...you're on your own!

[/URL]

First, a trip to the Harley museum in Milwaukee. Had to see where the technology has gone since my last bike. That's where I decided on the FXDX. Not a hotrod like the V Rod. Not a big pig like the Street Glides. A no frills, nice handling, medium powered bike with minimum quirks for a Harley. Everyone I ran into wished they still made them or wished they still had the one they used to own. Not a single bad comment. That's the bike for me!

The bike that first turned up was a '99. It had basic upgrades, like aluminum wheels with new tires and progressives all around, drag bars, the brakes were updated to 4 puck calipers and it came with a Corbin seat. Decent.

[/URL]

But, as you all know...decent is just a start! All the old Harleys had tool boxes built in. The first trip on this bike, I realized I couldn't carry more than I could fit in my pockets. Bummer. Not even a tool box for storage. So, onto the forum, and, after hours of studying your comments...I needed the LeatherPro bags. They install in minutes and come off in seconds. Now the bike is practical. I can run errands with it and carry, well, a lot!

[/URL]

That's when I made my first trip on the highway. Oh Baby! I quickly learned that while a bare bike looks great, if I let go of the bars I'd instantly be a bug spot on the car behind. 80mph of wind on your chest is not insignificant! Back to the forum...and the favored "minimal" fairing turns out to be the Harley 1/4. Got it. Better, but still to much wind on the face. Forum says Laminar Lip is the hot ticket for that...done.

[/URL]

So, now that I can scratch my nose on the highway without flying off the bike, I began to see the FXDX is not that stable at speed. Not terrifying, but just twitchy. I could take my hands off and watch the front wheel jitter back and forth a couple inches. HHHmmmm. Back to the forum. Stabilizers, that seems to be the ticket! After a long attempt with Sputhe, I wound up with the True Trac stabilizers, along with new OEM engine mounts. Cool...the bike tracks straight and has much less vibration with the new mounts. I'm getting there.

[/URL]

The handling at this point is really close, but still a hint of jitter...now above 90mph. Back to the forum...and...with mixed reviews, I have to try the Fork brace and steering damper. Now we're talking! The bike is rock solid at all speeds. Hands off at 80mph and she tracks like a train on rails. Came up on a tricked out Low rider on a cloverleaf. Poor dude was all over the 2 lanes, back and forth. I was able to dodge is meandering and still pass him at about +20. Probably coulda' texted home while I waved at him as he was white knuckling his ride around the sweeper.

[/URL]

Now I've got the bike, can carry enough to be practical, and can handle as fast as an old man can dare go with 85mph speed limits in Texas. Time for clean up...

[/URL]

Kids want a mural. Not on my tank!?! OK, I agreed to the fairing, after all, it comes off. Daughter wants a dragon for the school mascot...son a reaper. Hmmmm. Wait, compromise, a reaper riding a dragon?!? Like I said, the fairing comes off!

[/URL]

[/URL]

Need rear turn signals to fit the Leatherpros. Back to the forum for advice. Wait...it's Texas...I actually don't need turn signals, believe it or not. I compromised anyway with integrated stop/turn light.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The '99 TC is one of the indestructible years for the bottom end. Not so much the timing chain tensioners. Back to the forum...and...gear drive. That's the answer! Done. Learned in the process that oil pressure is a gage of the internals (pun intended). Arlen Ness oil pressure gage...done.

[/URL]

SO, with a long ride today, I officially proclaim my ride is finished. It is the perfect bike for me. A bagger when I need it. Bare perfection when I feel like scaring the old ladies in the neighborhood. And it converts in about a minute between the two. Don't try to tell me I need any more mods, because if I did them, it will no longer be my perfect bike, but would be on the way to your perfect bike. It's mine, it's perfect, and I owe a lot to you guys...so I didn't have to waste a ton of time on mods that don't work. Here's one to you guys!

Now I've gotta go ride some more

Later...

Last edited by CJD197; 07-29-2016 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gordo-uk (11-04-2023)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:21 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Damn man, that looks fantastic! Very well done

But... never say they're done; they're just works in progress

Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

That'll do pig!

Sharp bike, classy and clean, good job

CB radio? What do you listen to while riding down there?

Old 07-29-2016, 07:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, that is a really, really great looking ride.

Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Outstanding. nice beefy rotors upfront

Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Zenmoto
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

First class job, details are very well executed. I love a bike with clean and tasteful mods. Be safe and enjoy YOUR ride.....

Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Very nice!!! Looks like you're set. Ride safe!

Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Bike looks amazing man! I love it down from the wheels all the way to the bars! Just a great clean hot rod right there. The wheels, steering dampner, bars, fairing, & bags just make the entire package.

That's one really badass ride. Keep it on 2 wheels, ride safe!

Old 07-30-2016, 01:15 AM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well done .. great story .. enjoy the clean ride .. mbm48

Old 07-30-2016, 05:11 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 781 Posts

Well done!

Yours is the first bike I've seen with two add ons:
1- A Genie garage door opener.