Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:12 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Mirror mounting

Ok, probably a simple silly question that I just need to dig into on my own but you folks have been so damn good to me, plus my garage sits at about 100 degrees so I really don't want to hang out in it like a sweat lodge....

I bought some absolutely beautiful mirrors from our good friend Suede. I was not planning on relocating my stock turn signals which are currently mounted below the levers and attached to the protruding ends of the stock mirrors.

The new units seem to have a bolt that screws into the stalks from underneath, this seems to be the case with pretty much all after market mirrors. The OEM units have a threaded stalk that goes through the lever into the female side of the assembly on the turn signal, essentially using the turn signal into the nut that hold the mirror tight.

How do I install the new mirrors using the current oem turn signal attachments if possible? I'll take pics if none of this makes sense but since it seems to be such a simple problem no searching has addressed.

Thanks!

Last edited by robbyville; 07-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

All Thread?
https://www.google.com/search?q=all+...w=1280&bih=823
You can get it at the hardware store, but you might have a problem with size,, for it to work the female side of the mirror needs to be the same size as the female side of the signal mounts. And you'll need to cut the stuff the right length.(hacksaw)
Take the mirror and the mount to the store with you.
You might be SOL.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I see what you're saying now Robby, I didn't think of what the issue was earlier.

That should be an easy fix like JohnMn stated. Take the bolt to a pro nut and bolt store and they should be able to hook you up with some nice stainless threaded rod and just get the right length to accomodate your turns.

To show my good faith I will give you half what you paid since they're defective

Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Lol thanks for the idea thanks guys! Suede, don't be goofy, the mirrors are perfect I'll figure it out! Maybe this will be a reason to relocate the signals.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

What do the bottoms of the mirrors look like? My round RW mirrors came with two sets of threaded stocks that worked wth my control mounted signals.

I'd be willing to ship them to you if you want.

I'll go snap a few pics now.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I have two of them. The lower section with the fine threads is the same length as the stock mirror standoffs, and use the same acorn nuts. If you want them, I can probably get them to the post office today.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:44 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Don't make em share the same hole.
I vote these. http://jokermachine.com/products/har...gnals.html?p=6

Old 07-30-2016, 08:21 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
I have two of them. The lower section with the fine threads is the same length as the stock mirror standoffs, and use the same acorn nuts. If you want them, I can probably get them to the post office today.

Thank you so much for the kind offer! I was able to get my Fastenall rep to get me the two and a quarter inches of 5/16 X 24 inch thread that I needed. Will wait for him and then get them installed.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HrdNox
Don't make em share the same hole.
I vote these. http://jokermachine.com/products/har...gnals.html?p=6
Lol those are nice, but alas I'm stuck with the current signals (for now)!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:45 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Well thanks to all for the suggestions as always! This was bang on. My fastenal guy set me up with the proper rod which I just cut to size this morning and then ground for proper mating. Perfect length matching to the stock. When I get home I'll use a bit of Locktite into the mirrors themselves and thread them in all the way (quarter inch), and then install to the signals. The rod itself cost me a mere $0.78

Of course now I'll have black bars, black levers, black mirrors but chrome signals ah well. maybe a change later on but I like my LED inserts way too much. I guess eventually I could simply paint or powder the bullets.

Last edited by robbyville; 08-02-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Mirror mounting