Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna (FXDX) jiffy stand change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dyna (FXDX) jiffy stand change

Long story short. Had indy put 11" Progressive shocks and 1" lower jiffy stand to accommodate my short legs. Hate the ride and hurt my back when I hit a huge dip that came up on me. I reinstalled the original 13" shocks but now it leans too much to the left on the stand. The bike actually "falls" onto the jiffy stand because it gets past the point of no return and I can't hold it back. Only a matter of time before something happens so I want to re-install the original jiffy stand.

As fate would have it, the dyna jiffy stand is removed differently than touring bikes are. Even the Sportster is different but easier.

The dyna manual says you need to remove a cotter pin and washer, then the pin that holds the assembly in will fall out as a unit. Sounds easy but in reality it's a bitch to get at. On the bike jack the postion of the lift arm doesn't give you too much room to work in. Same with a scissor jack. I do not have a lift table. My last resort option would be to lay the bike down on it's side on some pads to gain easy access to the cotter pin.

Touring bikes require you remove a 1/2 nut, swing the jiffy stand forward and the spring drops out. The Dyna has a stop block and can't swing forward. Seems the spring always has some pressure on it. Not sure it would be an easy job getting it off.

If anyone has any experience doing this job and can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Wanna give this a try before i break down and ride it to the stealership.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:37 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm glad you asked this, as I've been wanting to change the stand on my FXDX. The original chrome stand is all battered looking, and the tab that your foot grabs is broken off. I have a new gloss black stand, but haven't tried swapping it yet...

Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

A tip i read once is to insert pennies in between the spring coils while extended. Should help with removing it and reinstalling.

The following 4 users liked this post by mattVA:
ABQ-Jammer (12-15-2020), Jerry311 (04-20-2021), shoebee2 (09-05-2020), Ventana (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,905 Posts

Originally Posted by Ventana
If anyone has any experience doing this job and can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Wanna give this a try before i break down and ride it to the stealership.

Thanks in advance.
My bike developed a little attitude last weekend - probably cause I didn't give it adequate attention

(not referencing the skull..., rather what he's doing - picture attached )

Okay

Jack bike up
Lower kick stand
Directly behind the kick stand on the in board side of the frame..., running parallel.., and next to the frame..., is a pin
Remove the cotter pin / pretzel retaining clip (on the end facing the front of the bike)
Extend kick stand
With a punch and hammer - knock out pin you'll be able to drive it part way out from the front - then need to hit the head (flange) end to get it the rest of the way out)
Soon as the pin exits there will be a lot of commotion - stand and aluminum block falling out..., spring releases and drops to the ground - no biggie

Change the stand / clean / grease / put back together paying attention to the orientation of the stop (just under the bolt holding the stand to the aluminum block)

To reassemble

Install stand / block back from whence it came and install pin and cotter key / pretzel clip

Assuming you have a vice.., two pair of vise grips and two #2 screw drivers

Open vise up
Clamp w/ vise grips - one screw driver to each jaw (inside of jaw)
Clip one end of the spring to one screw driver..., the other end of the sprint to the other screw driver
Open vise - slowly and carefully (wear safety glasses) - this will stretch spring
Insert washers into every coil of spring
Hold washers in place while closing vise

You can now reinstall spring (actually it'll be about a 1/16" short, but can easily be convinced into place
Cycle stand.., washers fall out
You're done

One note

Spring goes on with ends pointed toward front of bike - put it on backwards and the spring will fall off (come unhooked) when the stand is cycled

Be sure to note the proper orientation for when you mount the spring to the vice / install the washers

And even though it may fool you into thinking you put the washers in the coils wrong (after removing from the vise) - swap the spring end to end and it'll be right

Easy as pie

Ghost

Attached Thumbnails Dyna (FXDX) jiffy stand change-bike-with-an-attitude.png  

Last edited by Ghost_13; 08-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Ghost_13:
F86 (08-10-2016), flyboyslc (08-23-2016), JayStronghawk (04-19-2018), majorbison (05-21-2020), Partyrite (03-30-2020), Shrewgy (10-21-2017), Ventana (08-10-2016), WyldOne (02-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Ok, thanks guys. Got it done today. wasn't easy working on the floor but doable. Bike doesn't lean so much now with original stand on. lowered the bike 1" so it stands a bit upright but better then the 1" lowered stand, for sure.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM
iceman4160
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I know Harley calls it a jiffy stand but to me its still a kickstand

The following users liked this post:
Ventana (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman4160
I know Harley calls it a jiffy stand but to me its still a kickstand
that's what I've always called them too

Old 08-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

lol, well so do I but I wanted to use the "Harley" term as to avoid being corrected.

The following users liked this post:
Partyrite (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Partyrite
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, going to put a 1" over "kickstand"
on 05 FXDC with extended forks

Last edited by Partyrite; 03-30-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:51 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Just a relevant side note; wife complained her stand let bike lean over too much. (2008 FXDL) I added a bit of hard surface weld on top of tab; that made it sit up more. I also pressed in and drilled out an oillite bushing into the hole on the stand. It now operates like a precision device and the bike has a lean angle she can hoist it from easily

Quick Reply: Dyna (FXDX) jiffy stand change