Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Vibration RPM range?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,295 Likes on 8,533 Posts

My Wide Glide stock 103 has a small vibration that is more annoying than worrisome. I notice it in the mirrors. I thought it was due to the rigid bars. The 103 engine is one of the smoothest I've ridden at highway speeds. Therefore I don't think it's the engine itself. Could be mounting or frame design. I don't know.

Last edited by 71on72; 08-17-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
Mine is seat and pegs, but bars are completely smooth as well.
I think the vibration on my bike (07 wide glide) comes from the swing arm up thru the shocks. When I lighten the pre load on the shocks she vibrates a lot more then when I adjust the pre load all the way up. I love my bike and I am not complaining. She does not make my hands or feet numb and can ride all day with no problems.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 AM
KCinKy
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have a tach. I feel the vibrations in the pegs while in the 60's mph range. Once I hit 70, smooth. Anything up to 60, smooth.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Mirrors look like they are going to fall off at Idle Once moving it is fine till de cell. seems anything over 2000 RPM she is smooth once riding.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,247 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I have some vibration as the RPM's rise and fall through the 2000 - 2400 range. Above 2400 she begins to smooth out quickly and 2500 and up are surprisingly smooth but above 4800 RPM I'll begin to pick up vibration again.

The vibrations are not at all excessive, just noticeable as the bike is so smooth in the 2500 - 4800 range. If your vibrations are more noticeable on decel you may want to check the vehicle/engine alignment. Before I did the alignment the vibrations were much more pronounced, especially on decel. But a new front isolator, alignment, and shimming the front isolator so it could sit where the alignment wanted it to be turned this bike in to a very smooth machine...

If you mean the motor mount alignment, I've done that.. I've also done complete drivetrain alignment including setting the wheels centered up with the frame.. On the mounts with new stock mounts the holes line up as soon as the front mount touches the frame.. It still seems to work better with an added 1/8 inch spacer.. Heck, have also done the lossen mounts and let the bike idle to seat the mounts.. Spacer seems to work the best..

I've been working on a added stop that seems to help the bad part of the vibes.. The trick is to set the stop so there is clearance between the mount and the stop. When the motor shakes badly, the mount bumps the stop and it seems to dampen the vibes. If set to 0 clearance the bike vibrates everywhere..

Right now it reduces the worse vibes a little but really is not a complete solution.. I plan on trying different rubber / polyurethane stops. May toss the spacer between the front mount and frame back in.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
If you mean the motor mount alignment, I've done that.. I've also done complete drivetrain alignment including setting the wheels centered up with the frame.. On the mounts with new stock mounts the holes line up as soon as the front mount touches the frame.. It still seems to work better with an added 1/8 inch spacer.. Heck, have also done the lossen mounts and let the bike idle to seat the mounts.. Spacer seems to work the best..

I've been working on a added stop that seems to help the bad part of the vibes.. The trick is to set the stop so there is clearance between the mount and the stop. When the motor shakes badly, the mount bumps the stop and it seems to dampen the vibes. If set to 0 clearance the bike vibrates everywhere..

Right now it reduces the worse vibes a little but really is not a complete solution.. I plan on trying different rubber / polyurethane stops. May toss the spacer between the front mount and frame back in.

Does it not make a racket every time the mount his the stop?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,247 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
Does it not make a racket every time the mount his the stop?
Nope.. No sound change at all.. It's a rubber stop..

Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
My Wide Glide stock 103 has a small vibration that is more annoying than worrisome. I notice it in the mirrors. I thought it was due to the rigid bars. The 103 engine is one of the smoothest I've ridden at highway speeds. Therefore I don't think it's the engine itself. Could be mounting or frame design. I don't know.
Try shorter stem mirrors. It took me years to realize the black mirrors on the Dyna's from the factory are longer stemmed than the Chrome version. My friend never had any issues with mirror vibrations and I did until I switched out my mirrors.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Try shorter stem mirrors. It took me years to realize the black mirrors on the Dyna's from the factory are longer stemmed than the Chrome version. My friend never had any issues with mirror vibrations and I did until I switched out my mirrors.
I'm pretty sure that HD sells OEM mirrors in black and chrome, each with long or short stems. I bought a set of black short stem mirrors directly from the HD website. They look mush better on my bike than the original long stems did, and they are completely functional.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,295 Likes on 8,533 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Thanks. I'm ordering them today

Quick Reply: Dyna Vibration RPM range?