Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyslc
...I have plans for the gas tank...

...HD grips......replaced it with a new basic HD grip for now.....
Welcome

Plans for the tank eh, talk is cheap, where's the beef

HD Get-a-Grips are great grips and less than the versions the designers sell, worth a look. Stock grips are fine if your hands don't have palms.

Originally Posted by SLV
Cool...These Dyna guys are awesome and I miss ...Dyna forum guys......
Well look what the cat drug in

Good to see you're still alive, pick up a Dyna and come on back

Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
I like that too

With mine, the billet is 11 3/4", with the heim joints adjusted as close as possible the hole to hole OAL is 15 7/8".

I had to adjust the shift lever a spline or two but no issues other than that. One benefit of the longer shift rod linkage is you've got more clearance to remove the oil filter, with the stock setup it was tight, more clearance less chance of a mess when you remove the oil filter.

I used 5/16 - 24 bolts and the stock acorn nut on the front and polished stainless steel washers as spacers to be certain the shift rod linkage was running parallel to the primary; I added the Kuryakyn chrome 1068 transmission shift arm to dress it up a bit more...

Options... that's what I love about HD

Old 08-18-2016, 10:37 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Less is more, heading the right direction! Never liked Short Shots on a Fat Bob....

Have fun!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 AM
619DYNA619
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the new Fatty. I've got an '09. I don't see many FXDF's around where I live. That's part of the reason I like it so much. Enjoy and good luck with the modding. It never ends!!

Old 08-20-2016, 01:20 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats on a hell of a deal.

Already looks a million bucks after the diet.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:52 AM
feguy1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My Fatbob had short shots on it when I got it. Talk about ripping them off quicker than honeymoon panties! I hate those things! D&D fatcat is the way to go!

Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 AM
flyboyslc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Plans for the tank eh, talk is cheap, where's the beef
Just you wait

Ordered a Predator mount. I saw that some people had issues with the U.S. website so I made sure to order from the UK site. Already have a shipping email and tracking number from them, so that's reassuring. The front mount looks pretty hammered, so there's a good chance that's where my vibration is coming from. Although the exhaust is not even close to touching the frame, unlike many other videos & photos I've seen - my exhaust clears the frame easily by 3/4".

I also changed the oil filter and then did the engine and primary oils today with Mobile 1 V-Twin. Did the brake fluid too. The rear brake fluid reservoir was nasty. Also the paint is coming off of the reservoir lid, my guess is from brake fluid being spilled onto it and not wiped off immediately.

Had planned to change the tranny oil, but couldn't find any Redline locally so that's on order as well.

Shocks feel super squishy. I'm not a big fella - 6'0" and 175. But the front forks compress nearly 100% at the slightest braking, and jump back to fully extended at the slightest throttle. While this is my first HD, it's not my first scoot and the see-saw action just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm planning to get some lowering shocks from Progressive or Burley for the front and rear, but it's not at the top of my list. These stock shocks should last longer than 20k miles though. I'll have to research what I can do to firm them up until I'm ready for the lowering kit.

Thanks again for all the input. Shift rod linkage also slated for the next parts order - once I find one I like.
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 AM
flyboyslc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Predator mount came today. Holy moly - 2 days from the UK? Now that's impressive! Anyone who has reservations about ordering one of these from the UK site should put their concerns at ease. Was very well packaged too!

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-smam7og.jpg

Got it installed tonight. Installation instructions were crystal clear and it was relatively easy. I took my time, did it without a motorcycle lift and it took me about 45 minutes. Did not remove the oil filter, although it would have been easier to torque the fasteners if I had.

The old mount looked really nasty - but after I cleaned it with some degreaser, to my untrained eyes, the old mount looks fine. I don't see that it has separated or gone bad. Seems to me to be in pretty good shape.

Unfortunately, after I finished installing the Predator it was almost midnight and so I didn't get to test drive the bike. Will check in the morning. I did read the HD Service Bulletin M-1324 and all the mentioned hardware on my bike was torqued and tight.

If the vibration is still there when I ride it in the morning, I'll be at a loss as to where to look next.

Also changed out the tranny fluid for some Redline V Twin Gear Oil with Shockwave. I have changed all fluids except the fork oil at this point. Suspension still feels terrible to me. Considering some Progressive 412's in the rear with lowering drop-in springs for the front forks.

Parts will be coming off this week for the powder coater - which I am really excited about.

Anyone here ever powder coat a chrome dash to wrinkle black?
Save

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 AM
619DYNA619
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I powder coated my chrome dash to gloss black without an issue. I don't see why wrinkle would be any different.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy the modding...hopefully you have a service manual. As for the suspension, my advice would be to NOT lower the bike. You will sacrifice ride quality. For the front end, you could pick up some Ricor Intiminators. Simple drop in install (along with cutting the spacer) and upgrade to Amsoil 10w. Makes a dramatic difference in the front end dive.

Good luck and have most importantly...Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
flyboyslc (08-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Flyboy's Fat Bob Build