Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 PM
flyboyslc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flyboy's Fat Bob Build

Proud new owner of an '08 Fat Bob with 21,000 miles. My first HD. Gonna tear this thing apart... and document the build here.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice and opinions on whether I should buy it. I had talked him down from $7,500 to $7,000, and then I showed up with $6,500 in cash and he took it.

This is what she looked like when I picked her up today:

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-ttwbimhl.jpg
Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-se14v5wl.jpg

This **** could stand to lose some weight...

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-g964m31l.jpg

And so the liposuction begins!

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-q9b6qcul.jpg

Done trimming fat for the day.

Removed the saddle bags, and the sissy bar (which was rattling like rocks in a tin can). Also, the bike had this dash cover/extension thing that wasn't made for Fat Bob - so it didn't quite fill the entire gap between the dash and the seat - which resulted in it moving around a lot and scratching the hell out of the paint on the gas tank. I tore that thing off like honeymoon panties faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle" and threw it with all my energy to the trash. I was able to buff with light polish most of the scratches out, but I'm not too concerned because I have plans for the gas tank...

The bike had the basic HD grips on it, and the right grip had morphed into a sticky gooey mess (not unlike many girls I know from high school), so I replaced it with a new basic HD grip for now.

Gave it a quick bath (not a proper wash) and this is how the bike looks now:

Flyboy's Fat Bob Build-iqrichel.jpg

She's looking much better already after her first day of transformation. Got lots of plans for this bike. No idea what I'm doing, but I'll figure it out as I go.

Rode it for a bit tonight. Here are my observations:

The bike has a noticeable vibration when I let off the throttle (not braking) and also when braking. Like a shudder. I'm not talking about a typical Harley rumble either. Happens every time I let off the throttle or when I brake. Maybe the mount/isolators need to be replaced? I've never had a Dyna before. Any suggestions are welcome, and of course I'll search the forums too.

The left mirror doesn't stay where I put it. It moves downward while riding. There doesn't appear to be any tension adjustment, so it probably just needs to be replaced.

The exhaust doesn't sound that great in my opinion. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when I let off the throttle, like it's suffocating for air (which it probably is). A better air cleaner will help that I hope.

Next is to fix this awful shudder, and I'm also gonna place some orders tomorrow for parts. DK Customs is about to make some money off me...

* * * * * UPDATING THIS LIST BELOW DURING THE BUILD PROGRESS * * * * *

Installed:
  • Predator vibration isolator
  • Side mount license plate frame
  • Rocket Bob's Voodoo Fender (extended)
  • DK Customs Dyna model 2" tank lift
  • DK Customs tank lift deluxe option
  • DK Customs HiFlow 587 Air Cleaner, Sano black cover
  • DK Customs Premium Discrete Breather system
  • Kuryakyn ISO Grips, black
  • Blacked mirrors (HD)
  • Trickle charger dongle
  • Joker Machine 5 Hole Derby Cover, Finned Black
  • Denali Soundbomb Mini horn (direct replacement)
  • DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts W158
  • Piranha Teeth (chromeglow.com)
  • 50/50 Flexible Array Motorcycle Taillight/Turn Signal Light Bar, red LEDs, smoked, 8 inches SKU 4200-3030RS (chromeglow.com)
  • Radiantz Fleekz module with strobe 6126-51 (chromeglow.com)
  • Custom Dynamics Slim Line Signal Stabilizer SKU 2050-0218 (chromeglow.com) - this is plug & play for Fat Bob and others
  • Kuryakyn Alley Cat Fuel and Battery Gauge (black)
  • Exhaust wrap and silicone spray

Received, not installed:
  • Rocker cover gaskets (upper and lower)
  • Le Pera Stubbs (gray stripes)

Ordered, not installed:
  • Mustang Wide Tripper solo (diamond stitch)
  • Forward Mustang Wide Tripper solo (diamond stitch)
  • Le Pera Silhouette Deluxe Solo
  • HD Service manual
  • HD Black texture paint (this is correct for my year) - other years use "wrinkle" or even a third name... dealer was very helpful on this. Going to use this to black out the rocker covers
  • Kuryakyn Alley Cat Fuel Cap (black)

Still to order:
  • 49mm fork boots
  • Black oil dipstick
  • New (black) throttle cables
  • Pegs
  • Shift Peg
  • Brake Pedal
  • Shift Rod Linkage
  • Daymakers
  • LED front turn signals
  • Gloss black powder coat: jiffy stand, headlight bucket, handlebar riser cover, triple trees
  • Satin black powder coat: handlebar, dash, speedo shroud, ignition switch
  • License plate frame w/LED lighting
  • Rear LED turns for side of fender - not sure what kind yet
  • Replacement trim for battery cover (or bag)

Last edited by flyboyslc; 09-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking better already! This bags were horrible. I also have a 2008 that I put some work into. It's a great bike and one you won't see on the road a lot. Keep the pics coming.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Cool. The Fat Bob is a rider's bike. Bags are a practical thing, but they detract from the look in my opinion.

The motor mount isolator are a relatively common thing to fail at or around 20k miles (although some people get many more miles without an issue.). Look into a Sputhe or True Track stabilizer, but definitely check out the front isolator pads. These Dyna guys are awesome and I miss participating over here. In my opinion, the Dyna forum guys know much more about their bikes than the other forums (in terms of ride ability, making them faster or making them handle better.)

Good luck with the makeover.

The following users liked this post:
flyboyslc (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 11:49 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

It's a shame those bags had to go...

Maybe if you had a matching riding suit...who knows

Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Very nicely done! At $6500 you've done well

She's looking 100% better already with the backrest/rack, engine guard, and the bags removed. No way you'll ever get the ugly off those bags, you might just want to burn those things

Sounds like the front isolator is an issue if you're having decel shuddering. The isolator is a wear item and as they fail they can make contact with the engine bracket transferring vibrations. HD did release a service bulletin on the front isolator vibration issues, you can read it HERE

Changing out the front isolator isn't a difficult job to do. When my Wide Glide was brand new I had decel shuddering and vibration problems. The front isolator had been installed under tension which allowed it to distort. At 600 miles on the ODO I replaced the isolator, did the vehicle/engine alignment and needed to shim the new isolator 1/4" and use longer 3/8" x 1 1/2" grade 8 bolts but since then no vibration issues and the isolator is showing no signs of distortion.

Do a complete fluid change on the engine, transmission, and primary so you know you're on fresh fluids. With it being an '08 with 21k miles it may be a good idea to replace the brake pads and flush the brake fluid as well...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-18-2016 at 02:24 AM. Reason: ...added link...
The following users liked this post:
flyboyslc (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

The bike looks night and day better already.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Congrats! The bike looks much better already and you can't go wrong with a FatBob.

Take a good close look at the front motor mount as that could be the source of your vibration. For a new one, look at the Predator VCS Dyna mount - and search on this forum about it for info.

You could also think about replacing those pipes with a decent 2:1 system if you want the best performance. Look at D&D, Bassani etc...

Then for an air filter, take a look at the options available from DK Customs for good quality and decent pricing.

Once you have pipes and an air filter, you will need a tuner - I would recommend a PowerVision unit bought from Fuel Moto to complete the Stage 1.

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
flyboyslc (08-18-2016), HDexplorer (09-05-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Not a bad start! Look into a better shift link rod. The pot metal rod with those cheezy clips have left guys stranded due to them breaking. Joker Machine makes some nice ones.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
Not a bad start! Look into a better shift link rod. The pot metal rod with those cheezy clips have left guys stranded due to them breaking. Joker Machine makes some nice ones.

Completely agree on changing out the cheap shift rod

When you replace the shift rod you want one with heim joints; I opted for an extended billet tribal flame shift rod with heim joints.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:48 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

http://jokermachine.com/products/har...rod-black.html

Thinking this. :-)

Last edited by HrdNox; 08-18-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Flyboy's Fat Bob Build