Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Low Rider to 2016 Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:49 PM
autonomos
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Low Rider to 2016 Low Rider S

I traded in my 2001 Low Rider that I bought brand new back then for a 2016 Low Rider S in May. I've been lurking on the Dyna forum more and more since then so I thought an introduction is in order.
I modded the old FXDL a bit to suit me back then which was kinda my version of a Street Bob before there was a Street Bob... 10" apes, 6" risers with the idiot lights moved to the handlebar clamp, and chrome bullet headlight to get rid of the eyebrow over the headlight. Forward controls, solo seat, changed and relocated turn signals, progressive suspension, thunderheader, etc. etc. It was a great bike but I got older and the apes and forwards weren't working for me anymore and I needed a change.
Becoming more aware of my aging body had me thinking road king or switchback. But I just wasn't totally feeling it.
Then I saw the yet to be released FXDLS online. I fell in love. The more I read about it, the more I wanted it. The specs were of course awesome for a stock harley. Then seeing one at the dealer with a "sold" sign on it in April sealed the deal and I put down my deposit. Picked it up in May. First time I could picture myself on a (relatively) stock bike.
Anyway it's still a work in progress but trying to keep it as stock as possible. I've gotten a lot of useful info on this Dyna forum. Thanks for that.
Mods and pics to follow.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:37 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking forward to your pictures.

Only things I have done to mine is to add passenger stuff to take my wife and kids for a ride, I have a Motoillumination headlight that I will put in once the ship I'm stationed on is in port long enough to have some real time off, I'll do some turn signal swaps for brighter LEDs and add an electric air horn (aka bad boy or Walo).....all safety stuff!!

Only other thing I may do is my cousins wife is kind of a big deal with pinstripes here in San Diego....so may have her dress up the fairing and rear fender....

Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 PM
autonomos
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes passenger pegs are on the way for that very reason, but will keep it solo most of the time. Will have to to add the extra hardware to the fender and switch back and forth between solo and 2 up. I always thought the extra screw was a bit of an eye sore with the solo seat but thats how I've done it in the past. I'll have to find a black mounting screw at least. It won't stand out as bad as chrome.
I like the idea of the brighter headlight. Will have to look into that down the road. I'm ok with the signals except for relocating the rear for the leather pro bags on the way.
Pinstriping sounds like a cool idea on an FXDLS to personalize it and help yours stand out from every other one without going full on new paint. Haven't seen that yet. What color are you thinking?