Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!

With the new EPA ruling on Harley it will be hard to mod your 2017 bike and keep a warranty. Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that the rules apply to all the new 2017 and later Harleys, not just the new Milky8 bikes.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is not a big deal at all. It just enforced a rule in place in the mid 70's that emission equipment can not be modified or removed. They only enforce it on manufacturers, dealers and shops. So far that is.

In HD's case EPA believed that H-D was selling the Super Pro tuner knowingly to those that were using it on the street. H-D agreed to settle without any admission that they did so.

H-D SE air intakes, mufflers and SE street performance tunes are not involved.

The Super Pro tuners were for drag racing and track and not for street use.

Most folks that bought the Super Pro Tuner used them on 120R engine installations.

H-D never warranties performance builds ever. They clearly state that in their warranty. Also the SE catalog will identify a component that is for racing and that it would not have a warranty.

In short there is no difference whatsoever in the 17's than any past year for warranty concerns. It always was and always will be if you build for racing(even if you don't race) it will not be covered. Car companies do the same thing. Track or drag your Corvette and bust it you are on your own.,

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-29-2016 at 12:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lh4x4:
DelRider (08-29-2016), NO_SPRK (08-29-2016), saddlebag (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Already got one.. A 2000 FXDX..

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
F86 (08-29-2016), NO_SPRK (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 AM
kyleMB
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When I got my exhaust and intake they recommended the super tuner over the street tuner saying it's much more tunable and it'll keep my warranty.

Coulda been bullshit, but hopefully I'll never have to use my warranty for the engine

Old 08-29-2016, 10:35 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Newer is not always better. Besides, voiding a warranty with a tune is unlikely if you do an independent install/tune and return to stock for any warranty service work. I've been doing it for decades with cars. A bit of a hassle but that's the game.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Newer is not always better. Besides, voiding a warranty with a tune is unlikely if you do an independent install/tune and return to stock for any warranty service work. I've been doing it for decades with cars. A bit of a hassle but that's the game.
I read that flash changes are stored in memory, so if the dealer wanted to be a ***** about it, he could use that as a basis for denying a claim related to fueling. Don't see how it could detect a Power Commander or equivalent as those change the fuel signal after it passes the ECU. So removing such a device should put it back to stock without leaving a signature of tampering.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I suppose that's possible (phones have it now) but I had my tuned Lincoln LS in for service (including both an engine and transmission replacement) many times after reflashing to stock tune and the dealer never blinked an eye. I know that's apples/oranges, but personally I would be comfortable doing the same with my bike...if I was inclined to own a modern example...

Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by saddlebag
I read that flash changes are stored in memory, so if the dealer wanted to be a ***** about it, he could use that as a basis for denying a claim related to fueling. Don't see how it could detect a Power Commander or equivalent as those change the fuel signal after it passes the ECU. So removing such a device should put it back to stock without leaving a signature of tampering.
So as long as you take out the PC, reinstall the cat and the stock A/C - you should be good to go... Because if you just remove the PC and leave the other dubious accessories installed, on the same token they'll void your warranty because you caused an excessive lean condition by removing the factory intake and exhaust components???

What a wonderful world it'll be...

Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I believe magnussen moss covers accessories such as air cleaners provided they are EPA/CARB compliant. Not sure tho.

Ultimately, I think this will all boil down to a little bump in the road. Maybe a year or two to adjust practices to the new reality and then back to business as usual.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Time will tell how this works out I guess. Just hate that many may go buy a 17 model and immediately mod their scoot as always and not realize they just voided the warranty even though that has always kinda sorta been the case, the dealers were't under the pressure they are now to enforce this on the 2017 up bikes.

Quick Reply: Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!