Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Dyna Superglide No Power To Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 AM
jim70
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Dyna Superglide No Power To Speedometer

Lost all power to my speedometer. No speedo power at key on. No backlighting or odometer. Annunciator lights below speedo ok, but nothing on face of speedo.
Bike is a 2007 Superglide and has 22000 miles and speedo just quit. Tried another speedo and nothing.
Might the vehicle speed sensor on tranny feed speedo power?
Dread a wiring problem...
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thx
Jim

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to say it's probably a wiring issue. Get your voltmeter out and start studying the wiring diagrams in your FSM. You will probably have to pull the fuel tank and look for chafed wires.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdvorchak:
jim70 (09-20-2016), Tony P (10-04-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 PM
jim70
Cruiser

Been tinkering with it and bit confusing. Tried 2 other identical correct speedos and nothing. I replaced the short harness that plugs into speedo and plugs into main harness and nothing. I checked the output plug with a light and both the orange and orange/white pins have power at the plug leading yo speedo. I also checked the black ground and it's well grounded. But still no power to the speedo. No back face lighting or engine lights...just dead.
The annunciator bar below speedo works fine with turn signals, oil press light, neutral lite and hi beam all ok.
Why they speedo does not light up...I do not know.
I even slaved in another TSSM and still nothing.
I checked the access fuse as well as the instrument fuse and both good,
Very bizzare..
There are 12 pins on plug gif speedo and the orange and orange/white have power.
The other 10 pins do not have power but seem to be operation once speedo in motion.
If only I had a similar bike beside me I'd compare power at pins to see what may be lit up.
Harley shop advised that th orange and orange/white are for power to light up speedo. I have power but speedo remains dead even after trying 3 other speedos.

Now what??
Harley shop date her is 127/hr so this can become a costly affair..

Thx
Jim

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I just looked at the wiring diagram in the manual. The orange wire is power to the instruments and that comes directly from a 15 amp fuse labeled "INSTR". The ground wire is the BLK/GRN wire. Do your measurements between those wires.

FYI checking with a light may not be the best tool for checking for power. You really should be using a DVM (Digital Volt Meter).

Make sure you have battery voltage at the orange wire with the ignition ON.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Since the bike is 9 years old, first thing I'd do is pull the INSTR fuse and clean the contacts. Fuses can look good but for the price of a fuse I'd just replace it.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm sure you checked it, but I had that problem on my fat bob and the Cust Accy fuse was blowing due to a short in the brake light wiring.
Just throwing it out there. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tomahawk309
I'm sure you checked it, but I had that problem on my fat bob and the Cust Accy fuse was blowing due to a short in the brake light wiring.
Just throwing it out there. Good luck!
Excellent point. Both the INSTR and CUST/ACC fuse wires go to the speedo. Check your tail light and brake light. Some old cars I've owned shut off the instrument lights if you lost your tail lights. Maybe HD does the same.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 AM
jim70
Cruiser

Gents,
I truly appreciate your help.
I'll give it a go during the day tomorrow.
I'll keep u posted.
Jim

Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
jim70
Cruiser

Going forward, With ignition key on, I do have 12+ volts at both the Orange wire and the Orange/white wires directly at the speedo plug. This measured by using the black ground pin on connector.
I also confirm 12+ volts across at the fuse box at the INSTR,ACCY, and CUST ACCY.
So I suspect a grounding issue??
Further, the Cust ACCY doesn't seem to tie in to my issues...I think not.
I assume it's now a question of checking the ground to the fuse location for ACCY?
Is that a common stud?

Getting there..

Jim

Last edited by jim70; 09-15-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-10-2016, 09:06 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I don't think so. The ground for the ACCY would be frame ground. Have you tried changing the INSTR fuse for a new one? Did you check to be sure you had a tail light?

Quick Reply: 07 Dyna Superglide No Power To Speedometer