Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't idle after petcock replacement HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Matthew DeFaria
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't idle after petcock replacement HELP!!!

Hi I am new to Harley ownership. I recently got a 96 Dyna Glide Convertible. After the first ride the petcock began to leak. Did some research found just about everyone replaces with a non vacuum petcock, then plugs the vacuum line, no problem I can handle that. So I replaced that take it out for a second ride, now the bike won't stay at an idle. I have to hold the throttle around 1500 -2000 rpms to keep it running. My buddy came over we checked fuel flow out of the petcock, all good there, dropped the bowl on the carb, good fuel flow still. I am thinking it has something to due with the recently plugged vacuum line, it idled fine before I replaced the petcock. Please any help is greatly appreciated would really like to be happy with my first HD and enjoy it.
Thanks,
Matt

Old 09-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I'd make sure that the cap on the carb didn't blow off.. Other possible problems include accidentally pulling the choke cable out of it's seat so that the choke (really an enricher circuit) stays on.. Bike will want to flood.. Other possibility is that something got stuck on the pilot jet.. Possibly some crap from the tank.. Did the new petcock have a filter on the end where it inserted into the tank? If not you need an inline filter. Next possibility is that you might have disturbed one of the manifolds seals and it is now leaking.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 AM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If there was a vacuum leak in the line that goes from the petcock to the carb, someone may have adjusted it accordingly to get it to idle. Just a thought.

In addition to what Bwoltz suggested, you may need to re-tune your carb.

If you don't have a manual, you may find the link below helpful.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Matthew DeFaria
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new petcock does have a filter. We had the air cleaner off and i could see fuel spraying from the needle in the center of the carb. Is that the pilot jet or is it the small brass piece connected to the bowl? We tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't seem to change idle speed since we had to keep throttle around 1500 so it would stay running. Bwoltz what "cap" do you mean ??

Old 09-03-2016, 10:49 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

The "fuel spraying" was from the accelerator pump. You got an air leak somewhere.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Matthew DeFaria
The new petcock does have a filter. We had the air cleaner off and i could see fuel spraying from the needle in the center of the carb. Is that the pilot jet or is it the small brass piece connected to the bowl? We tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't seem to change idle speed since we had to keep throttle around 1500 so it would stay running. Bwoltz what "cap" do you mean ??
The cap.. You removed the hose that hose that goes from the back side of the carburetor to the old pectcock diaphram.. You should have "capped" off the fitting on the carb..

There are 2 jets you can see easily.. The accelerator pump is the brass one in front of the slide, the other is the needle jet, the one the needle goes into and the slide sits on top of.. The pilot passage is a port in the side/bottom of the carb body that is with next to the butterfly valve... You won't be able to see that one easily.. The pilot jet meters fuel at idle and is a smaller jet located next to the main jet in the float bowl.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,626 Likes on 6,663 Posts

Did you cap off the vacuum line to the VOES? If you did that the bike definitely will not idle.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

There will be a tee in the vacuum line coming from the carb, one end to the petcock and one end to the VOES. Like tommy c says if the line to the VOES is not on, it will not run right. Since you now have a non vacuum petcock you can run a straight line from carb to VOES. Oh and the forum has a dedicated EVO section, re-post there for additional help.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Good point about the Voes switch.. Evos I had / have don't have one.. Forgot about them. Is the switch closed at idle?

Old 09-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,626 Likes on 6,663 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Is the switch closed at idle?
No, the the timing is advanced at idle speed. The VOES retards the timing when vacuum drops blow 4-5 inches.

Quick Reply: Bike won't idle after petcock replacement HELP!!!