Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Elite tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts
Default American Elite tires

I've got a 2015 Street Bob. I've got almost 9k miles on the stock tires (rear). I've got a few more miles, but already starting to look for new tires. Does anyone run the Donlop American Elite tires on their Street Bob? What do you think? How many miles have you ridden on them?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also considering the Michelin Commander II. I've heard great things about those as well.

thanks

Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

My rear just got one this summer ('09 SB). It's a wonderful tire. Only a couple thousand miles on it and it sill looks new and still holding air. Next summer the front will get one. Switching from Metzelers which is also a great tire.

What kind of riding do you do, and what do you want out of the tire? Grip, Millage, or ? I've herd really mixed opinions on the MCII's.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 PM
crtman21
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
My rear just got one this summer ('09 SB). It's a wonderful tire. Only a couple thousand miles on it and it sill looks new and still holding air. Next summer the front will get one. Switching from Metzelers which is also a great tire.

What kind of riding do you do, and what do you want out of the tire? Grip, Millage, or ? I've herd really mixed opinions on the MCII's.
I want to get both grip and milage out of the tires, but if i had to choose, I think I'd go with more grip. I love the twisties. But I also would like something good in wet weather as well. The reviews say the AE are good for all the above. Idk...guess I'll be doing more research, but I'm kinda drawn to the AE tires.

BTW...what part of NorCal are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer

You really can't have it both ways unfortunately. Metzelers will give you a little better grip with a little less millage. My commute went from 12 to 90 mile round trip, so I opted for AE this time. I haven't seen rain since I put it on 3 months ago, but so far it's been very solid in aggressive cornering.

I don't think you can go wrong with AE, but check out Metz. 880 or 888 (they are about the same price as AE). Whatever you choose, expect a huge improvement over OEM 'lop tires.

I'm in the foothills between Sac. & Lake Tahoe.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:30 PM
crtman21
Road Captain

You really can't have it both ways unfortunately. Metzelers will give you a little better grip with a little less millage. My commute went from 12 to 90 mile round trip, so I opted for AE this time. I haven't seen rain since I put it on 3 months ago, but so far it's been very solid in aggressive cornering.

I don't think you can go wrong with AE, but check out Metz. 880 or 888 (they are about the same price as AE). Whatever you choose, expect a huge improvement over OEM 'lop tires.

I'm in the foothills between Sac. & Lake Tahoe.
I've heard good things about the Metz's as well. Ill definitely do more research into those as well. I'm going to have to sacrifice one for another. Either way I can't wait to get new tires. I know it's going to be a huge improvement over the OE. Haha...
My cousin swears by the OR tires. I'm like "seriously...with the way you ride?" But to each is own.

Placerville? I came down 50 once. Wow...what a ride! Love thr long sweeping turns. I'm down in Sonora.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer

I don't understand the loyalty to the OEM tires either. They either never tried another tire, or never actually get down 'n dirty and just ride to "have a nice time".

Your front is probably good enough for a while, but I would consider changing them both if funds allow it. You may be able to find a "buy a back tire and get the front free" deal if you keep eyes open. The Indy I go to does a lot of tire sales, and the owner told me everyone in his shop runs Metz.

I'm along I-80. Hwy 50 is a very nice road. Been on it a few times. However, it's usually clogged up with weekend traffic and Tahoe is usually a giant jackass festival. Lots of better options around. Never been to Sanora, but looks like you got some fun roads there as well not to mention Yosemite.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM
crtman21
Road Captain

I don't understand the loyalty to the OEM tires either. They either never tried another tire, or never actually get down 'n dirty and just ride to "have a nice time".

Your front is probably good enough for a while, but I would consider changing them both if funds allow it. You may be able to find a "buy a back tire and get the front free" deal if you keep eyes open. The Indy I go to does a lot of tire sales, and the owner told me everyone in his shop runs Metz.

I'm along I-80. Hwy 50 is a very nice road. Been on it a few times. However, it's usually clogged up with weekend traffic and Tahoe is usually a giant jackass festival. Lots of better options around. Never been to Sanora, but looks like you got some fun roads there as well not to mention Yosemite.
What's funny is he rides the hell out of his CVO limited and rides 2up a lot. But oh well.

Haha..yes Tahoe is full of jackass'. Well if you're ever coming down this way give me a holler. The road to Yosemite is nice. But there's so many more as well. I'm sure there's nice roads up there as well. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,649 Likes on 6,678 Posts

I have an AE on the front of the FXR. Have about 5,000 miles on it & it is wearing good without any drama. I figure a tire is good when you don't think about them when you are riding. Most of my riding is on mountain roads.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only issue I have had is with tar snakes. Otherwise they have been good for 2500+ miles so far. I took a ride out to the coast on highway 84 and back down 9 and it held great. I like them a little more now, but if they keep slipping on tar snakes, I may look at the Pirelli Night Dragons.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by crtman21
What's funny is he rides the hell out of his CVO limited and rides 2up a lot. But oh well.

Haha..yes Tahoe is full of jackass'. Well if you're ever coming down this way give me a holler. The road to Yosemite is nice. But there's so many more as well. I'm sure there's nice roads up there as well. Thanks for your input.
I guess maybe if you're on a 1,000 lb chrome barge, it really doesn't matter what tires are on it.

No problem man. Likewise if you find your way up North. Nothing beats riding the in the Sierras!

The following users liked this post:
Buster (09-16-2016)

Quick Reply: American Elite tires