Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary leak.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Primary leak.

I thought I would ask here before I start tearing the primary apart. I keep seeing a drip of oil on my primary drain plug. I replaced the plug and torqued to spec. That worked for about 100 miles. This morning when I checked the drip is back. It is a very small leak. Nothing on the floor under the bike. The primary is not cracked or anything. When I run my hand up the backside of the inner primary it is a little wet with oil. I know it is not the transmission as the fluid is red and the drip is the same color as the primary fluid. Any ideas where it is coming from? I am thinking the shifter seal. The bike is a 07 wide glide. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Did you replace the O-ring?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Did you replace the O-ring?
The new plug had a new o-ring on it.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

OK, new O-ring so that is not the problem. You mentioned shifter seal. Wide Glide does not have any "shifter" parts going into the primary. Other than that I can't help you.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:58 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Wide Glide does not have any "shifter" parts going into the primary.
He's right, the 07 WG shift lever goes directly into the tranny.

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
I know it is not the transmission as the fluid is red and the drip is the same color as the primary fluid.
Are you sure the Tranny fluid isn't red?
Or that it's not residual from the first leak? Wind and viscosity can make fluids move a long ways,, make sure you give it a good bath and check again later.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to my world. To date I have spent 1500 bucks on the leak you are referring to and guess what? It still leaks. Gone to an Indy, been to a dealer and talked to every wrench I know. Replaced every seal in, and even replaced entire inner primary. I have an 01 WG. I have pretty much given up on it. And guess what, Every one of my friends with a high mile Dyna (I am near 100K) is having the same problem. Looks like it's from drain plug but is not.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Renoir1
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a leak similar to that earlier this year. Drop or two on the primary drain plug. Eventually traced it to a very slow leak from the bottom of the derby cover. It was hard to spot, just a very thin line of oil down to the plug. I had taken that off to adjust the clutch last year, and must not have torqued a couple of bolts to spec. took it off and re-torqued them all, no leaks. maybe check there?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I had a very slight leak but so small it didn't bother me. When I replaced primary cover with a chrome one the tower seal was shot so it was changed out. No signs of a leak since then.
There is a specific sequence for tightening the bolts on the primary, something else to consider.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
There is a specific sequence for tightening the bolts on the primary, something else to consider.

Last edited by stoneybagger; 09-08-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
I thought I would ask here before I start tearing the primary apart. I keep seeing a drip of oil on my primary drain plug. I replaced the plug and torqued to spec. That worked for about 100 miles. This morning when I checked the drip is back. It is a very small leak. Nothing on the floor under the bike. The primary is not cracked or anything. When I run my hand up the backside of the inner primary it is a little wet with oil. I know it is not the transmission as the fluid is red and the drip is the same color as the primary fluid. Any ideas where it is coming from? I am thinking the shifter seal. The bike is a 07 wide glide. Thanks!
Read my adventures on this subject in here ('03 FXD 121.00 km ~ 75.000 miles):

Help/advise on Inner Primary Oil leak...

I had my Indy replace all mainshaft seals three times (only had to pay once!) before the leaking was over. My advice: stick to good quality seals!!

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 10-31-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Primary leak.