Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rainproof performance air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 AM
StratDad
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took delivery on an S&S Teardrop intake. The Revzilla video on HD intake options mentioned rain, and said this model had no issues. I took that at face value, plus I loved the look.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I never had any luck with an exposed filter even with a sock on,,,in pouring rain on a 8 hours ride it kept bogging down my bike, now I use the football cover and a SE cleaner...looks better open though like Cvaria has them...I've even put a cd or dvd on there.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been running exposed filter for years and 2 different bikes. When ever i go on trips i just put the stock cover back on. Light rain is no big deal but if you get caught in heavy rain with an open filter the bike will bog down and suffer. I have thought about getting the rain sock but just never did. I am in south texas and its basically a desert, so i just dont worry about it till i go on trips.

I currently have the fuel moto stage one air filter kit. The backing plate is billet and looks great with an open filter. Then i just bought one of those black disk things everbody uses.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-22...-cleaners.html

Old 09-21-2016, 04:26 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I think it's best to use a original-equipment type filter housing which keeps the filter out of the rain. While the bike may run OK in the rain with the filter exposed, it tends to wash the oil and dirt through the filter and into the engine. The cotton gauze filters are bad enough at filtration anyway, without adding the issue of flushing the dirt they have caught through the engine.

They also become much more restrictive when they are wet, costing power, and meaning that a tune which was done while they were dry pretty much goes out the window.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think an S&S Stealth will be the best choice then.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
I think an S&S Stealth will be the best choice then.
In case you missed my first post,this a direct replacement filter for the S&S Stealth.It is supposed to be waterproof and the best part is you don't have to
oil it.

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Sp...f+I405072.aspx

Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by DeaD SpacE
In case you missed my first post,this a direct replacement filter for the S&S Stealth.It is supposed to be waterproof and the best part is you don't have to
oil it.

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Sp...f+I405072.aspx
I didn't missed it but has someone actually used it on a nasty rain to confrim that is really waterproof?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:01 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

So what do you guys take of these charts? http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...d=644&zoneid=7 I don't see much difference compared to what the other brands of performance aftermarket filters advertise and show in charts. Whats up with that???

Old 09-22-2016, 09:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Shaunchez (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
So what do you guys take of these charts? http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...d=644&zoneid=7 I don't see much difference compared to what the other brands of performance aftermarket filters advertise and show in charts. Whats up with that???
I'd expect quite a drop in airflow and horsepower when it's exposed to water. That's pretty much the nature of any air-permeable medium.
Another reason is that road-spray kicked up by other vehicles often contains a lot of dirt and grit, clogging the filter more quickly, so I'd rather keep that dirty water off my filter.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-22-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Rainproof performance air filter