Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my starting issue on video!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
What I'm hearing is a week starter or battery. Possibly a bad start switch. It sounds like the starter is dropping out and that's what you might be hearing as a "kick back"

I honestly cannot say for sure from watching a video, but that's what I was thinking as well...worn brushes and dirty scored commutator?

The relay drops when the starter pulls so much current the battery volts drop below the coil threshold.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

He turned the switch (Off or On), waited about 5-10 seconds, then turned it again(Off or On), and the check engine light didn't come on. We waited a minute, and cycled it on a again, and sure enough, the light came and went...
I assume that the bolds are correct.. Typically it takes a 30 seconds to 1 minute for the ECU to do a full shutdown. Sounds like a software initialization / synchronization bug in the either the ECU or BCM.... If you can hear the fuel pump run when the issue occurs, it's in the ECU..

I agree with the problem being the compression releases. You can retard timing to help control the issue but working releases need more timing to start (cranking pressure is lower).

Old 09-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I assume that the bolds are correct.. Typically it takes a 30 seconds to 1 minute for the ECU to do a full shutdown. Sounds like a software initialization / synchronization bug in the either the ECU or BCM.... If you can hear the fuel pump run when the issue occurs, it's in the ECU..

I agree with the problem being the compression releases. You can retard timing to help control the issue but working releases need more timing to start (cranking pressure is lower).
"typically it takes a 30 seconds to 1 minute for the ECU to do a full shutdown. Sounds like a software initialization / synchronization bug in the either the ECU or BCM.... If you can hear the fuel pump run when the issue occurs, it's in the ECU"

I believe you offered this up in that other thread? My thought is, if you crank it before the check engine light is out, the ACRs may not have opened. If you "flip" the ignition, and the engine light doesn't come on, the ECU most likely has not triggered the releases. Sound about right?

When you say "hear the fuel pump run", I assume you;re referring to the priming step, then it shuts off?

My new start sequence is as follows.

- Ignition switch on (verifying I have the check engine light on, then cycle off)

- Engine light goes off, run switch on, and waiting for the pump to stop the prime cycle.

- Starter switch engaged.

When I follow this step, and I have not gotten the VINERR code. (Knock on wood)

Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
"typically it takes a 30 seconds to 1 minute for the ECU to do a full shutdown. Sounds like a software initialization / synchronization bug in the either the ECU or BCM.... If you can hear the fuel pump run when the issue occurs, it's in the ECU"

I believe you offered this up in that other thread? My thought is, if you crank it before the check engine light is out, the ACRs may not have opened. If you "flip" the ignition, and the engine light doesn't come on, the ECU most likely has not triggered the releases. Sound about right?

When you say "hear the fuel pump run", I assume you;re referring to the priming step, then it shuts off?

My new start sequence is as follows.

- Ignition switch on (verifying I have the check engine light on, then cycle off)

- Engine light goes off, run switch on, and waiting for the pump to stop the prime cycle.

- Starter switch engaged.

When I follow this step, and I have not gotten the VINERR code. (Knock on wood)
I'm a little confused by this.. You say the engine light goes on and off when the ignition is turned on and not when the run switch is turned on (ignition on)? I would think that the engine light should come when the ignition is turned on and the run switch is already on or when the run switch is flipped on after the ignition is on and the run switch was off.

Add: Yes the priming step.. Do you hear it just before the failure occurs?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I'm a little confused by this.. You say the engine light goes on and off when the ignition is turned on and not when the run switch is turned on (ignition on)? I would think that the engine light should come when the ignition is turned on and the run switch is already on or when the run switch is flipped on after the ignition is on and the run switch was off.

Add: Yes the priming step.. Do you hear it just before the failure occurs?
I have not tried flipping the run switch on before the ignition switch is turned on.

Just to be clear, I am referring to the switch on the dash when I say ignition switch.

To answer your question, yes, the check engine light comes on, and stays on for about 3 seconds, then off. The digital readout display, and the ABS light are also lit.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master

Sorry Mchad... Seams I am jumping in on another one of your threads

Old 09-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, this became convoluted quickly. I still say your starter if f'ed. No way a 9.2:1 compression motor "needs" a CR to turn the starter unless the starter is week to start.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

My 2002 does what it did at the 3 second mark, and I do the "run switch on, key on, turn it on before the engine light goes off" trick and it works great. The grab at the 6 second mark was what I thought you were taking about. That doesn't sound great but it may be an artifact of that whole starting sequence. My batt is good and the cables are tight.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake911
Wow, this became convoluted quickly. I still say your starter if f'ed. No way a 9.2:1 compression motor "needs" a CR to turn the starter unless the starter is week to start.
Not even if the cam has an early intake close, 110 ci, compression releases that don't work, too much timing and a dinky battery?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
I have not tried flipping the run switch on before the ignition switch is turned on.

Just to be clear, I am referring to the switch on the dash when I say ignition switch.

To answer your question, yes, the check engine light comes on, and stays on for about 3 seconds, then off. The digital readout display, and the ABS light are also lit.
So this is not true then?

"- Ignition switch on (verifying I have the check engine light on, then cycle off)"

Engine light don't do it's thing until the run switch is flipped?

Don't think you hijacked as the problem seems common..

Quick Reply: Finally got my starting issue on video!