Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No!!! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

A little dramatic IMHO. A few drops of oil? Now this is just me but i think the first thing I would do before posting on the internet is take a look under the bike and try to locate where it came from. Next I would check the drain plugs and bolts on the case. If nothing is loose then I would wipe down the underneath of the bike and put a piece of cardboard underneath to help me locate where the leak is.

My bike just does not leak a week or so ago when I moved it off its pad in the garage I noticed a dime size spot of oil. Did not panic and rush to make a post on the internet. Simply looked under the bike and saw immediately it was coming from the oil drain plug. Reached in the tool box grabbed a ratchet and snugged it up. Checked the oil level which was good and have not had a drop since. I have no idea why the plug was loose as it had been 3-4 weeks since the last fluid change and there had been no drops prior or since. Just one of those things but not worth a panic

Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts

"On the exhaust". I'm thinking the oil level was high and it was puking out the breather and maybe dripped back onto the pipe?

Old 09-29-2016, 02:53 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
"On the exhaust". I'm thinking the oil level was high and it was puking out the breather and maybe dripped back onto the pipe?
That right there is the answer i bet.

Take it on a ride, get it hot then stop and let it cool down for just a bit then check the oil level...if its high take a turkey baster and suck some out.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As for the FEW drops of oil? Its a puddle! Plus its a 2016 low rider with 120R motor on it and 1700 miles and had it since end of July . The motor is not in warranty and one dealer looked at the oil leak and said its where the heads bolt onto the gear housing and said he did not think there is warranty. The gear box and lower assembly is suppose to be warranty but the motor is not! The dealer quoted me 826.00 for repair. I took it to the dealer I bought it from now has it and is hoping to get it covered under some kind of warranty. I think it should be covered because its not like the motor has a valve or push rod or mechanical issue from racing or hi RPM , I never get on it hard anyway! Since its a gasket and couple of seals and its also attached to the gear box I hope it is covered otherwise, I'll be pissed !

Old 09-29-2016, 03:20 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Racing equipment on the street is always sketchy. Like taking the prom queen to the farm.

I'm not familiar with the SE "racing" engines, but 1700 miles on a racing engine without a teardown? Did you read the engine literature? What are the allowable operating conditions? Maintainence schedule?

There are some racing engines that can't even be started at room temp and others that are designed to go full load with cold water jacket and shut back down before it gets hot.

Not saying that's the kind of beast you've got, but...I'd suggest finding out.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Just Nick
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

you have only had the bike a couple months the dealer that installed the motor should warranty there own work and fix the interconnect gasket because if it is the interconnect gasket those gaskets don't just fail it was installed wrong.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by krouke
sorry but I understated the problem. The oil leak is a leak not just a drop here and there! I am hoping it is a loose bolt or plug. But this bike is new and aleak like this should not be. It is a small puddle! Maybe dime size 2 or 3 spots.
After doing my 500 miles service and cleaning it thoroughly, I still had a few drops of oil the next day. Did you or have an oil change very recent?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The leak has been diagnosed to a head gasket where the head is bolted to the gear case !

Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The heads are bolted onto the cylinders not a gear case.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The heads are bolted onto the cylinders not a gear case.

Quick Reply: Oh No!!! Help?