Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the DK Custom Oil Filter Relocation on the Wide Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Great, let's add this to the list of stuff to get for Amber...I like the idea of a much less messy oil change for sure.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:46 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice need to add this to my wish list. Would love to see it come with AN fittings

Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Whtwolf14
Great, let's add this to the list of stuff to get for Amber...I like the idea of a much less messy oil change for sure.

This oil filter relocation is going to make for a clean oil change; I believe dropping contaminated engine oil on the front isolator is one of the reasons the isolator fails and the Dyna begins to exhibit added vibration issues.

I'm sure it's adding additional cooling with the filter out in the wind and it looks great

Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Whtwolf14
Road Master

It does look good sitting wear it is...

Old 09-28-2016, 05:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Got the DK Custom oil filter relocation installed on the Wide Glide last Friday, took a bit of time to get it tweaked to my liking due to my +3" billet shift rod and having a Jagg thermostatic oil cooler adapter taking up additional space but it did turn out very nicely

The kit is very nicely made, the only issue I noted was the cast engine adapter had some nicks on the mating surface and the black finish used on the adapter had migrated to the mating surface leaving it very rough and bubbled but a few minutes with a fine file and some 1500 and 2000 wet/dry left a smooth polished flat surface to mate cleanly against the Jagg thermostatic adapter. It may have just been my specific engine adapter but run your finger on that mating surface to be certain it's smooth.

With the limited space I had I needed the 'In' and 'Out' fittings on the engine adapter in a specific position to clear the shift rod and have the hoses not contact each other. I fooled around trying to catch the threading on the Jagg adapter in different positions so the DK Custom engine adapter would snug up to the Jagg with the fittings where I needed them but the 'Out' fitting ALWAYS ended up at a 6 o'clock position; about the worst place it could be. I eventually used a long 7/8" wrench and reached in from between the downtubes and gently tightened the adapter further using the center 'In' brass fitting hoping the entire time I wasn't over-tightening and trashing the o-ring for the adapter. I did get the 'Out' fitting to an 8 o'clock position which would get me just enough clearance.

The billet oil filter mount was positioned directly under my upper clutch cable stand-off clamp; those clutch cable clamps made life much easier The downtube is 1 1/2" so no shims were required for the oil filter mount. I used Gates 400 PSI reinforced oil cooler hose and #16 fuel injection clamps to connect the engine adapter to the oil filter mount. Note, there is an 'In' and 'Out' on both the engine adapter and the billet oil filter mount!

Getting there, just before tweaking the engine adapter to reposition the 'Out' fitting...

Permanent oil filter mounted, hoses and clamps secure... Done!

Held my breath and started the bike, hoping the engine adapter had not been over-tightened; all good, no leaks anywhere. Oil pressure on the gauge showed no changes; a quick ride around the block and back to again check for leaks. All was well; took the bike out for a nice romp...

Afterthoughts: Most of the problems were of my own creation; running a +3" billet shift rod limited how I could route the hoses and the added thickness from the Jagg thermostatic oil cooler adapter placed the DK Custom adapter fittings more outboard limiting options further but the problems were not deal breakers.

This DK Custom oil filter relocation looks fantastic and should provide additional cooling while keeping contaminated engine oil off the front isolator during filter cleanings.

A very worthwhile mod and I highly recommend it. This is a Watson Approved™ upgrade!

Hey TCC,

That looks fantastic on your WG. If you're anywhere near as happy as I am with the no-more-mess oil changes, you're gonna be a happy camper.

I have this same unit on my Sporty and Softail, & the other style on my TG. Doing 10-12 oil changes a year (between the 3), it really makes a difference for me.

We're still gathering data on different bikes, but so far we are seeing around a 10* drop on Sportys and close to 15* on Twin Cams. These definitely cool more than the other style we have for the Trikes and the Twin-Cooled models.

Thanks for the great report and photos!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey TCC,

That looks fantastic on your WG. If you're anywhere near as happy as I am with the no-more-mess oil changes, you're gonna be a happy camper.

I have this same unit on my Sporty and Softail, & the other style on my TG. Doing 10-12 oil changes a year (between the 3), it really makes a difference for me.

We're still gathering data on different bikes, but so far we are seeing around a 10* drop on Sportys and close to 15* on Twin Cams. These definitely cool more than the other style we have for the Trikes and the Twin-Cooled models.

Thanks for the great report and photos!
Are those temp drops with the reusable oil filter only? (Alloy, cooling fins, etc) Any numbers with the stock filter?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

And just to add, Tin, your bike is disgustingly clean. I hate you for that.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Agree whole heartedly, that bike is way too clean but definitely beautiful. I really like that mod, that filter area, especially with the oil cooler is so cluttered. This may go on my list!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Whtwolf14
Road Master

You guys talking about AN Fittings? Can you educate the ignorant please...? Are hose with barbed fittings really needing to be replaced or just cosmetic?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,030 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Whtwolf14
You guys talking about AN Fittings? Can you educate the ignorant please...? Are hose with barbed fittings really needing to be replaced or just cosmetic?
Predicated on using real AN fittings.., not the press on type

Able to handle more PSI (not an issue with a harley)

Less susceptible to vibration loosening

Flow better

Ghost

Quick Reply: Installed the DK Custom Oil Filter Relocation on the Wide Glide...