Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork oil change tips? Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fork oil change tips? Specs?

I have a 2014 fxdb with 49mm fork tubes. I need to replace my factory fork oil and i am going with screamin eagle heavy oil. Iv heard a few different numbers as far has how much oil is supposed to go into each fork. I ask 5 different people and get 5 different answeres and none of them match what i see in the manual which is 28.6oz i believe. Also, whats the step by step process? Remove tubes, remove cap, washer, spacer, spring, fluid, then what? Pump the tube a few times? I also heard something about adding extra washers to preload the spring and take pit the clunk that has developed. So i need a few tips from someone who has done this. I wouldnt mind making taking pic when i do this to help others in the future.

Sorry if this is a common question but i couldnt find anything with the search. If there is a writeup somewhere here please link me. Thanks guys!

Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I wrote this up for cvaria, it might help you out a bit HERE

If you're going this far I'd change out the crappy HD springs and spacers for heavy Progressive springs and 15wt fork fluid. Cost right around $100 to do the job; pick up the springs on Amazon or eBay. I use the heavy Progressive 11-1546 springs and love them. I weigh 145 pounds, but the ride isn't at all harsh; it's firm and planted.

I've found leaving the fork tubes inverted overnight is the most effective way to remove all the old fluid. When you go to add new fluid add 10 ounces or so and slowly pump the tube in the slider to remove all the air. Your fluid amount is based on level, not ounces. If you're running the OEM springs and spacer follow the level specified in the SM, if you're using Progressive springs follow their level recommendation.

The fluid level is measured with the springs, washer, and spacer removed and the tube collapsed down in to the slider; for example, with my Wide Glide the SM calls for the fluid to be 95mm from the edge of the fork tube with the tube compressed in the slider. Progressive heavy's on my Wide Glide the fluid level is 150mm due to their much larger size.

My '13 service manual says the FXDB is also a 95mm fluid level. You'll need 2 liters of fork fluid to do the job...

This is how much added fluid will drain out if you leave the forks inverted overnight...

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
Nailz (01-04-2023), NewMexRider (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM
619DYNA619
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Replying so I can find this thread again easily when I upgrade my springs this winter. Thanks for the info.

The following users liked this post:
bulldog5874 (04-07-2021)
Old 09-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,033 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Simplespeed
I ask 5 different people and get 5 different answeres and none of them match what i see in the manual which is 28.6oz i believe.

Also, whats the step by step process?

I also heard something about adding extra washers to preload the spring and take pit the clunk that has developed.
Take longer to write a step by step than to actually do the work

Here the cliff notes:

Loosen the caps while forks still in the triples - BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPS YET

Remove the forks - place a towel over the caps - then remove the caps - KEEPING YOUR FACE AWAY FROM OVER THE CAPS

Spend the money for the long allen and seal driver - then do a proper rebuild (adding new oil to old..., just contaminates the new)

Disassemble - drain.., clean..., rebuild (replacing the seals, bushings.., O rings)

After cleaning prelube the inner forks before attempting to install the bushings - This is important

Do not over tighten bolts going into the bottom of the sliders

Do not use washers for adjusting preload - get PVC and cut to length = you'll see why when trying to reassemble and screw on the caps

Youtube is your friend

Service manual is your better friend - use it..., follow it..., use the recommended oil amount

Ghost

Last edited by Ghost_13; 09-26-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser

You guys have already given me much more information than i was able to find on you tube or google. Thanks guys, yall rock.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:30 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

This is assuming you have "dry" tubes. If you leave tgem on the bike and just drain via the 12mm bolts on the bottom. The amount needed may be less than on the chart.

Have fun. We are here to hurt help.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I just put a Progressive spring kit in my 01 FXD with 20W oil and although I have only had a short test ride, I am pleased with the results. The total cost for the kit and oil was just over $100.

I also rebuilt both fork tubes and sliders and the OEM kits were $52 for both.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser

Two different harley dealers told me only needed 12 oz per side. Got the bike tore apart and dont have nearly enough fluid. Exactly why my bike never sees the dealer.

Oh well, no big deal. I got one side done so ill swing by the dealer tomorrow on the way home from work.

Last edited by Simplespeed; 09-27-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Simplespeed
Two different harley dealers told me only needed 12 oz per side. Got the bike tore apart and dont have nearly enough fluid. Exactly why my bike never sees the dealer.

Oh well, no big deal. I got one side done so ill swing by the dealer tomorrow on the way home from work.
not to pour salt but, it was said more than once here that you needed atleast 26 oz per tube. can't trust dealers... 12oz is for standard 39mm dyna/sportys

Last edited by cvaria; 09-27-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cvaria
not to poor salt but, it was said more than once here that you needed atleast 26 oz per tube. can trust dealers... 12oz is for standard 39mm dyna/sportys
Yea i picked up the fluid before i made this post and forgot to go back for more afterwards lol. Not a big deal im just pissy cause i have to take the cage to work tomorrow lol.

And i like salt! Thanks again for the help. I think ill pick up a service manual this time too lol.

Quick Reply: Fork oil change tips? Specs?