Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra wiring under the tank for extending the bars ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Extra wiring under the tank for extending the bars ?

I want to put 12" Reapers from Wild1s. They should be very close to the same height as the stock SB bars, needing a little extra to get all the way to the top then take the bend to the pull-back. It's been awhile since I've done apes on a Dyna, so I'm wondering if anyone that's done bars can tell me how much slack they've got inside the frame tube under the tank?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

There's plenty of wire in there to go to 14" in most cases. I think the bigger issue is how much throttle and clutch cable you have.

Plenty of people have gone 14" apes, specifically Burly brand narrow apes. You should be fine with 12s

Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM
checkster2000
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

as far as the wiring. on my 15 streetbob there was plently enough to install my 14" narrow apes. didn't even bother with the longer wiring harness supplied in the handlebar kit. even added a 1" riser spacer and still wasn't an issue. id say you could do 16" apes with the factory wiring. BTW my biek came with factory mini apes so I don't know about the wiring difference if it woulda cam with drag bars

Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My '25 FXDL came with drag-like bars. Plenty of wiring tucked in the frame for my 14" tbars, with a little extra to spare. I'd bet HD used the same harness for both bikes. You'll be good on the wiring.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:00 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. The only wiring going thru my bars are the indicators and I'm not planning on using them thru the bars. The brake line and clutch cables should have a little extra reach.
What if any are you guys using for front indicators? I'm considering not using fronts just the rears which are my brake lights as well. I thought about maybe real small button lights on the edge of my tripletree, but haven't decided. Or even a button lamp right where the stock indicators are now .

Last edited by TUCCI; 09-28-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
My '25 FXDL came with drag-like bars.
Does it come with hyper-drive as well? ;-)

Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Does it come with hyper-drive as well? ;-)
What can I say, I'm ahead of my time. LOL

My ex-chick used the bullet type signals in the stock location and it looked good. Hard to see, but it looked good. Me, I extended the wiring and used relocation clamps with the stock turn signals just below the lower triple tree.

I've had the tiny dot signals in the past, but am now I'm a big fan of lighting and actually like the stock signals. Any little help to be seen on the road since the fronts also function as running lights. It's a personal preference. Lot's of options out there. For me, it was just a matter of relocation.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake911
What can I say, I'm ahead of my time. LOL

My ex-chick used the bullet type signals in the stock location and it looked good. Hard to see, but it looked good. Me, I extended the wiring and used relocation clamps with the stock turn signals just below the lower triple tree.

I've had the tiny dot signals in the past, but am now I'm a big fan of lighting and actually like the stock signals. Any little help to be seen on the road since the fronts also function as running lights. It's a personal preference. Lot's of options out there. For me, it was just a matter of relocation.
Good point Jake, may have to re-evaluate eliminating the indicators.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:30 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

The stock wiring was not long enough on my 2006 FXDB when I installed 14'' Burley narrow apes with 2 1/2 risers.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:43 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I'd like to hear more about the " '25" model year bikes.
Will we be riding "Livewires" or what?
Or nothing at all?
Or 165" ground pounders?
2 wheel drive?
Dynamo's for brakes?
Or, will the MOCO be regulated out of business?
They can always sell t-shirts, I guess...

Quick Reply: Extra wiring under the tank for extending the bars ?