Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help making a dyna into dresser

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default help making a dyna into dresser

The wife and I do a lot of hiway riding unfortunately her 2002 Dyna Superglide ( I feel ) is not the best for long trips and she agrees we either sell it for something better suited or dress this one up.
The bike has a 120 ci motor with 22000 km so its good to go that way and is nice on the hiway. She needs more on the comfort and upgrade on the front brakes.
This is what I`m thinking would help out her ride, Crash bars that soft lowers can go on, driver floor boards,front right side rotor and caliper for better stopping , seat with backrest. Suggestions or pics of your rides dressed up would be appreciated as well as venders where these things or the suggested ad ons can be had at a reasonable price would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails help making a dyna into dresser-dscn4088.jpg   help making a dyna into dresser-dscn4103.jpg  
Old 09-27-2016, 06:03 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
The wife and I do a lot of hiway riding unfortunately her 2002 Dyna Superglide ( I feel ) is not the best for long trips and she agrees we either sell it for something better suited or dress this one up.
The bike has a 120 ci motor with 22000 km so its good to go that way and is nice on the hiway. She needs more on the comfort and upgrade on the front brakes.
This is what I`m thinking would help out her ride, Crash bars that soft lowers can go on, driver floor boards,front right side rotor and caliper for better stopping , seat with backrest. Suggestions or pics of your rides dressed up would be appreciated as well as venders where these things or the suggested ad ons can be had at a reasonable price would be appreciated.
It's a simple thing really, by the time you've spent a boatload of money you could have just traded in for a touring bike and be done with it. Let us know which model you get.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:39 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the advice, I will take it into consideration.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:46 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I will take it into consideration.
it's kinda the obvious answer. you can get a used street glide (etc...)or even full blown geezer glide pretty cheap.

but,

there are a few folks in thes forum that have done the "upgrades" you are asking about:

(working.....)

bagging https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ng-bagger.html

full "conversion" https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...more-dyna.html

floorboards https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...to-boards.html

shocks https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ir-shocks.html

duals https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...on-an-fxd.html

crash bars https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ing-model.html

varied types of soft lowers. best to pick bars first then find lowers...

Last edited by cvaria; 09-27-2016 at 07:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
cliffd (10-22-2016), RidemyEVO (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
it's kinda the obvious answer. you can get a used street glide (etc...)or even full blown geezer glide pretty cheap.

but,

there are a few folks in thes forum that have done the "upgrades" you are asking about:

(working.....)

Dyna Street Bagger - YouTube
Yes I realize what you both are suggesting, my wife is not interested in a bagger , she has ridden mine and was not comfortable on it which is why I'm asking about a few simple upgrades .

Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Yes I realize what you both are suggesting, my wife is not interested in a bagger , she has ridden mine and was not comfortable on it which is why I'm asking about a few simple upgrades .
call your nerves bro... i'm looking for the threads...

updated my original response....

Last edited by cvaria; 09-27-2016 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RidemyEVO (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 PM
JK_Showtime
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

only reason people are suggesting a bagger is you said she agrees you might have to trade for some more suitable. If she's already on a superglide the only other thing you would trade for is a bagger. You can set her bike up for decent touring but you will spend probably $2000 at least if you want it done right and for her to be comfortable. I can easily ride 400-500 miles a day on my bike and I'm absolutely fine with the way it is set up 2005 super glide. Here are my suggestions though in order:

1. Seat - focus on getting her a seat with lots of support and especially lumbar area support. They can add gel and all sorts of stuff to seats. I rock C&C custom Sport Tour and C&C custom fastback seats.

2. Wind Protection - I have the Conleys Tsport fairing which are great. You can also get a quick detachable batwing style fairing or if you have the money get a full FXRT setup. same goes with lowers if I was going to get lowers I would get stand alone FXRT stand alone lowers. They would look much better and much better wing protection than the soft ones that button up to a crash bar. A quality helmet also goes a long way here with the wind.

3. Suspension - Replace all that stock suspension. Get quality rear shocks, fork springs, heavier weight oil, fork brace.

4. Brakes - Get new quality front and rear rotors with a good replacement pads. I run mesh style rotors and Hawk Performance brake pads. Much more confidence in riding.

5. Headlight - If you all ride much at night definitely invest in a LED headlight system. I have the HD Daymaker and it is awesome at night and gives me much more confidence. There are other brands now that are much cheaper.

6. Tires - I choose Shinzo 777 but they aren't the best for touring or longevity. But I've heard the Michellin Comannder II are awesome for touring.

7. Luggage - Leather Pros FXDXT retro bags!!! They are awesome and can haul all your stuff. It is the bags I have on my bike.

There re is always more stuff that can add comfort while traveling. But you could get all of this for about $2500 if you do the work yourselves.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:00 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Coach_K2014
only reason people are suggesting a bagger is you said she agrees you might have to trade for some more suitable. If she's already on a superglide the only other thing you would trade for is a bagger. You can set her bike up for decent touring but you will spend probably $2000 at least if you want it done right and for her to be comfortable. I can easily ride 400-500 miles a day on my bike and I'm absolutely fine with the way it is set up 2005 super glide. Here are my suggestions though in order:

1. Seat - focus on getting her a seat with lots of support and especially lumbar area support. They can add gel and all sorts of stuff to seats. I rock C&C custom Sport Tour and C&C custom fastback seats.

2. Wind Protection - I have the Conleys Tsport fairing which are great. You can also get a quick detachable batwing style fairing or if you have the money get a full FXRT setup. same goes with lowers if I was going to get lowers I would get stand alone FXRT stand alone lowers. They would look much better and much better wing protection than the soft ones that button up to a crash bar. A quality helmet also goes a long way here with the wind.

3. Suspension - Replace all that stock suspension. Get quality rear shocks, fork springs, heavier weight oil, fork brace.

4. Brakes - Get new quality front and rear rotors with a good replacement pads. I run mesh style rotors and Hawk Performance brake pads. Much more confidence in riding.

5. Headlight - If you all ride much at night definitely invest in a LED headlight system. I have the HD Daymaker and it is awesome at night and gives me much more confidence. There are other brands now that are much cheaper.

6. Tires - I choose Shinzo 777 but they aren't the best for touring or longevity. But I've heard the Michellin Comannder II are awesome for touring.

7. Luggage - Leather Pros FXDXT retro bags!!! They are awesome and can haul all your stuff. It is the bags I have on my bike.

There re is always more stuff that can add comfort while traveling. But you could get all of this for about $2500 if you do the work yourselves.

Thanks this is very helpful.
She already has a detachable windshield, new Avon tires, the seat she says she is ok with but I know what a backrest can do for a better ride, she had a heritage in the past and we both found the soft lowers really helped which is why I suggested a crash bar with the soft lowers. The bike has low km's and says suspension is fine, because of the big motor she has for such a lite frame the brakes upgrade is more of my concern. Floor boards I think are a must for comfort.cvaria gave some good links I must look through now.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've done a few long trips. I have a set of bags, backrest with bag, a set of lowers not installed and a detachable winshield. I keep the shocks on the softer side for a smoother ride. Works well. Also just upgraded the brake pads. Also upgrades to led lighting.The last 300 mile trip and wife just sat back and read a book while we were on the highway. Beat thing is I can strip the bike down to bare bones for when I solo ride in less then 2 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
RidemyEVO (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Yhe best I've ever seen. Mind blown!!!!! https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...more-dyna.html

Quick Reply: help making a dyna into dresser