Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing outer primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
Pick up some blue loctite.
If I remember right all my screws were the same length.
The screws are different lengths. Two different sizes it I remember correctly...

Old 10-22-2016, 06:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
The screws are different lengths. Two different sizes it I remember correctly...
right,

The ones in the front are longer

Not completely the same since this is a 2012 but, may help a little:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showp...&postcount=191

Last edited by cvaria; 10-22-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:08 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I had a Baker Attitude adjuster in my Road King and was able to reuse it quit a few times. The OEM gasket is metal lined so it makes reuse easy. Most Dyna's have the shifter rod going right through the cover so you'll need to remove the shifter peg off before doing so. The last time I tried to move the shifter down a couple of teeth it didn't just slide off and a puller was needed. Has anyone tried to remove the shifter off the shaft and what did you use to remove it? I plan to put the Baker unit in down the line and will need to prep my tool requirement before hand.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Get your gaskets from Harley, I've had supposedly "better" gaskets from other companys leak. Use a quality Torx screwdriver or socket on the derby cover screws. You may want to measure primary chain slack, even if you have an automatic adjuster. Use a torque wrench for reinstalling the outer cover screws. Some do some don't use one, but since you say you don't wrench much, I suggest it.
Edit: Do you have a service manual? If not, get one.
If your not used to using a torque wrench dont automatically put your trust in it. I've been burned by them before and if you blow it with too much torque on a primary bolt your going to go through hell before its over.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrong-to...QAAOSwjVVVn1Ma

I learned the hard way and purchased a nice used dial torque wrench like this.
watching the dial shows exactly where you are in torque. I broke a cam bolt last year cause I'm getting blind and had my manual wrench set wrong. No missing with the dial.
Actually it is a good price.
I paid a little more for mine but in excellent shape.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
terrysillik
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
According to the OP:
Guess I better read a little closer ! terry

Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

keep or sell the chrome cover and get a polished one to powder coat...I'd bet that if you ask around, you can find someone who will swap with you and do the work, I know I would (where 'bouts in Texas are you?)...or you can keep the chrome one installed and ride while you are waiting for the replacement to be powder coated then sell the chrome one on evil bay and recoup some of your costs.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Peej20
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give another vote for picking up a service manual. I am in the process of overhauling the primary on my Street Bob and the book has already paid for itself tenfold. It has all of the fluid capacities and torques that you'll need to do the job right the first time.

My tip that I'll add is to put a piece of 2x4 under the jiffy stand. It will stand the bike up enough to make access to the primary easier since I'm guessing you don't have a lift.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:10 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Some folks have home made long bolts of correct thread & width with the heads cut-off that are used during such a service.
Every time one of the primary bolts is removed the service bolt with cut-off head is lightly screwed into place.
It keeps the gasket in alignment and sorta acts like a third hand so the cover stays in place during removal of the last few bolts.
Since they have home made service bolts have no head and stick out an inch or more it helps to keep things in place.
The fluid will leak out so drain it first.
Re-install would be similar with removal of one service bolt as you replace with correct bolt.
The job is a little more than just turning a wrench.
If you can do a complete fluid and filter change on your bike then this would be in that difficulty level with a manual.