Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing outer primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 PM
AGAF
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Removing outer primary cover

Ok, so I'm not much of a mechanic. I get most of my work done at my local Indy garage. However, since there is what appears to be only removing bolts and putting them back in and a few other small details involved, I'm pretty sure I can do this. Want to take the chrome cover off and have it powder coated. My question is this. Is there much more to it than removing and putting it back on? Are there any gaskets that have to be replaced? What about for the derby cover cause it has to come off as well. Will removing the cover cause a leak from the primary oil? Is this something that needs to be put back on fairly soon after removing due to leak issues? Any adjustments have to be made internally if you remove it? Sorry for all of the ignorant questions, just never done this before. Pretty much, if changing out a part just involves turning a wrench or socket, I try to do it. If it is very involved at all, I take it to my local garage for their expertise. Just too much riding on this bike and it functioning correctly for me to go and screw something up cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Get your gaskets from Harley, I've had supposedly "better" gaskets from other companys leak. Use a quality Torx screwdriver or socket on the derby cover screws. You may want to measure primary chain slack, even if you have an automatic adjuster. Use a torque wrench for reinstalling the outer cover screws. Some do some don't use one, but since you say you don't wrench much, I suggest it.
Edit: Do you have a service manual? If not, get one.

Last edited by QC; 10-20-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,992 Likes on 2,915 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAF
Sorry for all of the ignorant questions, just never done this before.
QC covered most of it

Few things I'll add

Have a drain pan and shop towels on hand - no matter how much oil you drain out - there still a lot remaining which will come out once the cover removed

Reinstall *tighten* the primary bolts is a certain order (basically inside bolts to outside bolts) - start midway and work to rear..., then from mid way work toward front - tightening the top bolt - then bottom bolt..., back to the next top bolt..., then next bottom bolt

You have forward or mid controls - forwards you won't need to mess with / mids you'll need to remove the shift lever - and replace the seal when reinstalling the primary

Derby cover / gasket - no big deal - just take the top screw out last so the cover doesn't inadvertently slip down and scratch something

Personally - I do not like HD gaskets - poor quality and too expensive

Ghost

Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/James-Gasket-...dson+dyna+fxdb
For me getting a gasket that you can reuse is the way to go.
No leaks here.
You never know how many times you need to go back in.
Paper is good once.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:41 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAF
Ok, so I'm not much of a mechanic. ....for me to go and screw something up cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks!
Put down the screwdriver and the pliers. Purchase a factory service manual & parts book for your model & year. Read. Pick up correct tools & have at it.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:12 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Your 04 super glide have forwards or mids? Get a service manual first..... its a must.

Replace the gasket and torque the bolts do in the specific order and torque. Take 45 minutes or less. I used the cometic gasket for the primary.

Good idea to use an old box to draw an outline of the cover and make holes for the bolts. Add the boltsvto the box holes in the order they came off.

Derby is easy as well. T27 torx bit an rooer torque in crisscross pattern (star). Easier if the larg composite gasket is used vs the rubber ring.

Not a hard job.... JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

There's this video but, the guy didn't torque screws on in the right order... watch for a general idea, not the process.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-21-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 PM
terrysillik
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are wanting to remove the cover?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,509 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by terrysillik
Why are wanting to remove the cover?
According to the OP:

Want to take the chrome cover off and have it powder coated

Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM
AGAF
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really appreciate all the replies and useful information. I do have the service manual and will be following it to a T. Great idea about the order of removing and reinstalling the screws. I don't have a torque wrench so I will be picking one of these up tomorrow. I know that the more I work on this bike, the more comfortable I will be and confident in the future for other repair/upgrade work.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Pick up some blue loctite.
If I remember right all my screws were the same length.
Clean off the old loctite before reassembly.
small wire brush works.
I even retapped the holes to clean them out then shot in some cleaner and blew them all out. I believe they are 1/4-20.
just a drop of the blue is all you need.

Quick Reply: Removing outer primary cover