Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Street Bob Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM
badabing
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Street Bob Oil Change

i just got my service manual and its wrong too. dealer insisted i buy it when i bought the oil and filter. i was a bit confused when i did my first oil change also, lot of good it did me.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM
SCREAMING EAGLE
Banned

ORIGINAL: sprocketbos1

Wondering if anyone can help me with an oil change issue with a 2006 Street Bob? I went to change oil today andafter draining the oil and replacing the filter, I went to fill the oil tank. After a littleover one quart in the oil tank, it overfilled. (I had assumed more oil than that had drained out into the can) Anyways, I pulled the drain plug again and gotvery little oil back out. The dip stick now registers as a little over full, but I can't get oil to drain...I measured the oil I had got out after first draining it and it was a little over one quart.Any suggestions???
THE NEXT TIME YOU DO YOUR OIL CHANGE BUY A PLASTIC MEASURING CUP , A FUNNEL WITHAN ATTACHEDPIECE OF RUBBER HOSE, THAT'S WHAT I DO !

[IMG]local://upfiles/35788/28C265C5119849C38A5AC46268A62D3A.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my service manual and its wrong too.
Well, my service manual was right. It was the owner's manual that was wrong. I got my service manual two years ago.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Lowrider Chic
Stage I

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!! What I would have given to have read this before my weekend!!! I have one of the manuals that is wrong! I called the Harley Dealership again and again. They figured I was just some stupid female trying to work on her bike. I got in a fight with my friend over this, then after I drained all my tranny oil, then my crankcase oil, I couldn't get anymore because the stupid store was closed! Need not mention I have to drive 30 miles to the dealership to get my stuff! But, do you think ONE of those serviceman I talked to told me that the maual was wrong? NO they didn't! I am so pissed off and unimpressed with Harley. They freakin suck. They suck!!!!!!! BUT, I do love my bike. But they still suck. This ruined my weekend in so many ways I can't even describe it. I was literally in tears. I mean, who thinks they're freakin owners manual is going to be wrong!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HD.... You can kiss my tail feathers!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,136 Likes on 1,505 Posts

LOL doing a quick Google on it led me to this thread, I just did my first oil change on my recently purchase 06 Dyna last night, in order to prep her for winter bed time in my garage. Had picked up 7 quarts of Catrol V-Twin...took her out for a spin to get her warm, got home...did crankcase first. Like an idiot I followed the owners manual...pulled the plug on what the manual told me was the crankcase drain....pulled the filter (wish they designed that with a drip gutter like many tighter new cars do these days)...put plug in, filter back..and began pouring the first quart of oil in. Naturally after 3/4 of the quart goes in, it started backing up and then dripping all down the filler cap area. WTF?!?! So I pull the "crankcase plug" again..and barely a few drips come out. WTF?!?!?!

I'm thinking some obstruction in there preventing oil from flowing out the plug. So I proceed to tranny...ahh...much more than 1 quart flows out. And suddenly the crank case filler settles down.

So I figure some idiot in charge of "proofing" the manual before sending off the printing press was asleep at the wheel.

Drain the primary...I did have some metallic "hairs" on the magnet....no big chunks of metal, just a pinch or two of metallic hairs on the magnet...is this normal for a primary, or is it the dreaded "06 dyna inner primary bearing issue" symptom of impending doom?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No the IPB trash will be in the trans. You won't mistake it as it sounds like a steel roller skate wheel scratching on concrete. Also, not sure I would use Castrol Vtwin in the trans. You should use a 75w90 gear oil.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
No the IPB trash will be in the trans. You won't mistake it as it sounds like a steel roller skate wheel scratching on concrete. Also, not sure I would use Castrol Vtwin in the trans. You should use a 75w90 gear oil.
Castrols site stated it's designed for Engine/Primary/Tranny V-twins, "engineered and tested in Harley Davidson motorcycles"
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040548

I have mostly used Castrol in all my vehicles in the past, and had good luck with it. I've poured through the many "which oil do I used in what__?" threads here on the boards, can't seem to come up with any consensus....20 different oils out there and nearly 20 different answers from everyone. I guess I saw enough of the "I use Mobile One in all 3 holes" replies to make the move myself to "Castrol V-Twin in all 3 holes".

I'm certainly not resistant to changing the tranny to something thicker and/or different if I see enough reasons. The Castrol V-Twin (as well as the Mobile One) was $9.49 per qt at my local Autozone store...I just didn't feel like making a trip to the stealership to get bent over with the probably near $20 per quart I envision them charging for their own HD brand fluids.

I'm certainly willing to go to a better product in the tranny if I see enough reasons.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
No the IPB trash will be in the trans. .
Gotcha....so I would see kibbles and bits on the magnet tip of the tranny drain plug if the IPB tanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM
TRB
2nd Gear
Default Newer Manual

Originally Posted by 06dynablack
I have service manual part number 99481-06 There is a updated version of service manual if your gona order one. I believe it is 99481-06a just something to keep in mind if you havent gotten around to getting a manual yet
You're absolutley correct. I have the new service manual and it shows the right drain plugs . 99481-06A .

Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I first read this in Dec 05' I believe.. Early manuals were wrong..
Dont you change all (3) holes when you service your bike? You should.
If you changed all, this wouldn't be as issue, and after a couple of changes, watching the amount, and the color of what was coming out,
You would figure it out.

Quick Reply: 2006 Street Bob Oil Change