Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My low rider with 120R Question (again:( )

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:39 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default My low rider with 120R Question (again:( )

Many probably know I bought a low rider in july and had the new 103 removed and replaced with a 120R. It was understood It had no warranty but if it had a major issue the first couple of months they would cover it but after that period no warranty. However I took it in shop 4 weeks ago for a gasket leak and when they took it apart to remove it from frame the tech.(thankfully) inspected the heads, cylinders, pistons and push rods etc etc. They found the rotation pin was put in wrong and it sheered and caused major damage. The sent pic's to Harley and pointed out the wear and metal fragments in the bottom casing and damage to the bottom of the push rods housings. The dealer pushed for a new motor but Harley said they were going to get part numbers necessary to repair but it was a lengthy process.
Because the motor base assy. and all components did not have individual part numbers broken down in the dealer network and Harley had to get into their schematics and look up all the part numbers needed to return motor to original new condition. My dealer said it would only cost me the 500.00 quoted for the gasket and they were going to take care of the rest of repair along with Harley scremin eagle div. Well my dealer called finally after 3 weeks of searching for numbers and said with the parts needed to return to new condition and after Harley's contribution that it is over 3000 difference for a new motor. So it was better for them to repair rather than replace even if I kicked in 1000 bucks. I ask if I kicked in 2000 for a new motor and may consider a S&S motor because of warranty and my dealer said it is doable but he recommended and assured to replace valve springs, oil pump, and lower motor casing would put it back in new condition an said he wouldn't buy a new motor if he was me and I accepted his advise after he reassured me of the 120R reliability. Again the failure was due to someone not doing their job. So I feel quite lucky to come out ok and trust my dealer. I do have a question for some to help answer.... As I said I considered a S&S 124 motor because of warranty again staying with the R&R motor parts. But when I bought bike I got a motor title and it clearly stated the motor was illegal for street and the bike with that motor could not be driven off the dealers lot, so the dealer delivered it to me and they also took paperwork to license branch and paid fee's and I went later and registered the bike. But I want to know why is Harley so strict with the 120R so called race motor yet S&S builds a 124 possibly with higher performance parts and cams yet they have no issue with it being placed on bike and driven off dealer lot. The S&S is suppose to produce 135 to 140 HP and great torque but the 120R is roughly 125HP and 136 torque. So what is the big deal???????? with S&S less restrictive compared to Harley 120R??

Old 10-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Harley recently paid a settlement of 10 million plus dollars, over vehicles and parts they sold through their dealership network which failed to meet emissions compliance. Does that start to put the situation into perspective?

Before that, it was Jesse James paying millions in fines. Maybe S&S will be next

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

They are both race motors by my understanding. Neither are technically street legal by emisions standards for a production street motorcycle. The 124 has a 1 year manufacturers warranty, the 143 is 6 months pa r ts warranty only. Technically the s&s is for special construction. Why not put the 103 back in the bike? Do you want reliability or just plain power?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:14 PM
krouke
Tourer

well thanks for input. I wanted the power and performance but yet I never drive the motor or bike hard. I always have like performance and power even tho I never over do it. You hit it on the head as the other reply did and its about emissions rather than a over driving the performance issue. Now I get it ! That is why Harley settled and now the pro tune modules are more restrictive than the 2016. I finally get it. They gave me the title disclaimer stating "this motor is NOT for street use and it is illegal for street use" It wasn't because of performance dangers on the street and it was because of emission standards and Harley does not want the responsibility of an illegal engine on the street. That tells me however had I bought the bike and registered it and then took it in to shop month or 2 later and said "I want to buy and install a 120r motor" Since it was registered with 103 motor and I choose to put a 120R on later then would I still receive the title for motor with disclamer stating it was illegal for street! Probable so. Harley wants no responsibility for this engine on the street but if it is installed after the fact they are not responsible or are they???

Old 10-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Harley is not responsible for what you do with the engine. If you don't beat on it why are you not happy with the 103? It just seems odd that you just want to be able to say you have so much power but don't really want to use it.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:46 PM
krouke
Tourer

Odd ???? I have a 2017 mustang GT with performance package but I don't beat the crap out of it but I know I have what I need if/when I need it. Same with my 120R...Anything wrong with this??

Old 10-30-2016, 06:52 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by krouke
1. you put a race motor in your bike... will require more attention than a plain jane.

2. s&s isn't harley and installing that engine is custom work don by the dealer. no different than being done by an indy. end of the day, it's no longer a harley built product... it's custom bike... . they are not responsible for the s&s'd bike.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 PM
JK_Showtime
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean by when/if I need it lol? The only time you need the power is if you beat on them hard. Basically you want the power to brag on it but don't like the upkeep of a high compression engine. Anyways if it were me I would have just taken that 103" up to Fuel Moto and had them do a 107" kit for less than 3k installed and they are putting out about 118hp and 128tq

Old 10-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Guys, the 103 is long gone.... He sold it a couple months ago.

The fact that HD, or the dealer is willing to back anything up on the 120R is already more than they are obligated to do. Still, its good of them to work with you. if I were to start hacking a brand new bike apart from day one, it would've been the S&S, or building up the stock 103. With cams and a little work, the 103 will get you where you need to go just fine.

As for the title restrictions? Yeah, HD is, and has been under the overreaching watchful eyes of the government for a long time, so they need to cover their end to the fullest. You guys outside of California are lucky... Some shops here in Kalifornia won't even do a dyno tune unless you traitor the bike in.