Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"

I had the same problem on the freeway doing about 85, but on a back road doing 98 not a problem. I think it's the road, and even though your buddies bike didn't have the same issues, it just could be the weight difference.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the pavement, but make sure there is nothing loose in the frontend. Check the pressure in both tires. Also, check for runout and out of round on the tire and rim. You might need to get the front wheel rebalanced too. Not just a static balance, but spin balanced.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. Preasure is good. I checked it at 36 that morning. Tires are brand new ME880's.Wheel balance is good to.

MV

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can go around one turn at 70, but not another (assuming they are the same sort of turn), then other factors have to be considered... and there are a lot of them.

not to discount other posts, but wind coming at just the right angle, or just the right ripple in the road, in combination with the shield and/or higher bars, could be contributing factors (I'm an ape fan, so this isn't coming from one of those "apes are dangerous" guys)

I think you will notice a great improvement in all riding if you upgrade your front and rear suspension - I can't say enough good things about Race Tech springs and their cartridge emulators, for your front end.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

Thanks thrillseeker. I'll check them out.

MV

Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem a couple of weekends ago, no windshield, 16 inchers....first time that has happened. Wide, long turn, worried me for a mintue.

A friend told me to tighten up the 2 bolts down at the bottom of the forks....says his gets loose from time to time and that problem comes up

Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM
madmech
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mvinc01

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. Preasure is good. I checked it at 36 that morning. Tires are brand new ME880's.Wheel balance is good to.

MV
36 aint enough.Metz recommends 40-42.Also make sure the top engine mount bolts are tight.Check the steering fall away.Russ

Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

min 38 up front i actually called mets rep who by the way division of perilli, i have 21 inch tire in front and factory told me 38 up front and 40 rear, COLD

Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

Many, many different things can cause high speed wobble. Biggest pain is that if you went back to that same spot and did the same speed you might not have a wobble at all. I wonder if there's a way to tighten up the fork, or add a steering damper that isn't all huge and ugly? Plus one of those fork braces would probably bea lot of help and not too costly.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

Planning on upgrading my suspension all around, and probably adding a fork brace too. As far as air pressure goes, there are about a thousand and one different opinions.

Some of my exp examples are...

The MoCo states in their manual to run 30 up front and 36 out back cold. Up 3 psi for a passenger.

Metz website actualy refferences the manufacture sticker for psi on the frame.

Both the dealer service shop and the Cycle Gear shop where I bought the Mets return my bike after service with 36psi in both.

???

MV

Quick Reply: Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"