Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:40 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"

Heading south on Beeline Hwy in Arizona, with two buddies yesterday, coming back from the MMA State Rally. I'm on my 05 Super Glide with stock suspension and a QD windshield& 16" apes. Leading the group and pretty much givin' her all I got 'cause I have a splitting headache and want to get on home to the misses (I just know she can make it all better).

Anyway, going 75 mph or so around the wide sweeping turns I get speed wobbles. Mostly not so bad,but I can't throttle out of them. I have to let off the gas and she settles right down. A couple were pretty bad and one actually got my buddy (Hounddog from the HDF) wondering if he was gonna have to dodge some bike parts.

My question....is this the narrow and small front end...the windshield...the bars...or all three?

I've ridden mountain roads with the same setup and conditions before and really never noticed severe wobbles. Very minor wobbles are normal for the bars though.

Anyone have similar experiences with similar setups? Any suggestions (and please don't tell me to "dump the bars" or "get a real bike" etc)

Thanks,

MV

Old 05-28-2007, 12:54 AM
fendrix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"

Get a real bike. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

It's never happened to me, but If I had to guess I'd say it's because of the windshield.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 AM
crushem77
Tourer

Um...dump the windshield...?

Old 05-28-2007, 01:01 AM
mvinc01
Road Master

Yep...guess I asked for that

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe the windshield catching the side anlge draft, then getting into the wobble rythem trying to correct.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
hounddog
Tourer

ya buddy yer *** about ate pavment!!! i personally think da windshield too but i also think the stock front end blows monkey ***** my friend. try da shield first doe its cheaper

Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

could have something to do with the condition of the road in those turns, in combination with some very specific cross winds that were hitting the shield.

Is it a road nearby that you are familiar with? ... can you take the shield off and ride the road again?

I don't think its the apes... except that the farther away your hands are from the triple tree, any anomoly will be more exaggerated... so, they could have had a contributing factor.

what about tire pressure? Is your Fall Away good?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had same problem on my wideglide, with windshield on or off, lowered the rear, put race tech springs up front lowered it a inch, and changed the front tire to mest, with 90/90/21 instead of the stock 80/90 dumblops, and handles like a sport bike nite and day

Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does the same thing, it has no windshield so you can safely eliminate that.It also has much lower bars than yours and still does it so you can forget that too.It mostly happens any time I try to lean it over at anything 60ish or better.It's oddly undramatic too it doesn't shake violently it just slowly weaves in any kind of semi fast sweeper.Tightening up the rear suspension helped a bit but didn't cure it.If anyone knows how to fix this I'd be real interested.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mee too, have 12.5 wild ones had the wobble doing about 75mph, but also had a 25-30 mph wind.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

I would like to install 12" Prog. 412 HD's and Prog. springs with SE fork fluid up front. I wonder if that would help cure it?

Sounds like mayby the stock supsension is abit too soft for that kind of riding?

MV

Quick Reply: Speed Wobbles - "Devil's Dance"