Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Govno
Then can you explain why, when I stop at a light in the summer, my EITMS kick on?
Why? Because you have it enabled I kid, I kid

There was a time when HD stated the EITMS system was about rider comfort and not engine temperatures, all those .pdf files have going missing now: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...conditions.pdf

But the important line was this:
EITMS is purely for rider comfort. When it activates and “shuts off” the rear cylinder, it’s not because the motor is overheating. It’s designed to reduce the heat radiating from the rear cylinder to the rider.
I should have archived those rider comfort documents... doh!

When your EITMS is activated 4 conditions have been met:

1. Ambient air temperature or engine temperature has exceeded the set threshold

2. Throttle control is at 0%/idle

3. Speed under 1 MPH

4. Engine RPM under 1200

I'm in full and complete agreement that these larger inch engines need all the help you can give them to reduce heat, especially in hotter climates. If you chose to add fans that's one aspect of achieving added cooling but without properly tuning, free flowing exhausts, A/C's venting crankcase gasses to atmosphere, oil coolers, oil filter relocations, tank lifts, coil relocations, etc, etc, etc, you'll be leaving added cooling potential on the table.

Fans are a piece of the cooling puzzle, but there are other effective options and upgrades that greatly help with added cooling for those who, like myself, would prefer not to hang fans off of our rides...

The following users liked this post:
Govno (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

There was a time when HD stated the EITMS system was about rider comfort and not engine temperatures, all those .pdf files have going missing now: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...conditions.pdf

3. Speed under 1 MPH

4. Engine RPM under 1200

I'm in full and complete agreement that these larger inch engines need all the help you can give them to reduce heat, especially in hotter climates. If you chose to add fans that's one aspect of achieving added cooling but without properly tuning, free flowing exhausts, A/C's venting crankcase gasses to atmosphere, oil coolers, oil filter relocations, tank lifts, coil relocations, etc, etc, etc, you'll be leaving added cooling potential on the table.

Fans are a piece of the cooling puzzle, but there are other effective options and upgrades that greatly help with added cooling for those who, like myself, would prefer not to hang fans off of our rides...
The time of the airhead big twin is coming to an end. I suspect all the next gen engines will be liquid cooled. The heat from the big inch, EPA-compliant engines has become impractical to manage without liquid/air heat exchangers.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
The time of the airhead big twin is coming to an end. I suspect all the next gen engines will be liquid cooled. The heat from the big inch, EPA-compliant engines has become impractical to manage without liquid/air heat exchangers.
Absolute truth! As these engines have gotten more and more displacement and the EPA regs are pushing them for even leaner tuning the heat has become quite the issue; yea, the big inch air cooled engines are slated for extinction, I'm afraid.

What we as owners need to do is to is understand exactly why they're running hot and do all we can to minimize it; and that means some mods and upgrades; out of the box these critters are too hot for their own good.

I've had some great results following the step by step process; my final test will be when I move back home to Florida. Then I'll see where I'm at; I don't completely discount adding fans if it were necessary but if I do, they're going to be Wards. Beg, borrow, buy, steal; whatever it takes

Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

There could be some hope for air cooling if HD engineers spent some serious time working on volumetric efficiency, oil flow, case surface area, and getting the cats moved as far aft as possible...but that doesn't seem likely.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mighty-Mites to begin taking orders

Good Day,

We are happy to see so many of you anxious to get your Mighty Mites.
We will be taking orders on or before this coming Wednesday, March 1st. There are a whole bunch of orders to ship so please bear with us. We strongly anticipate that everyone on the waiting list will receive their Mighty-Mites in March. We are hoping that most will be shipped out before March 15th.

If you have e-mailed us to be on the waiting list you will receive a return e-mail instructing you to go to our web site and place your order. We think that we have everyone recorded but if you do not get an e-mail before 6PM Eastern time on Wednesday please send us another e-mail just to make sure we have you.

Of course being on the the waiting list does not obligate you in any way to make a purchase. It just assures you that you will be guaranteed to receive your Mighty-Mights on the first run at the guaranteed price - no matter what.

We are sorry that it took a little longer than expected to get everything in order but we're confident that you will find the wait a minor inconvenience once you mount your Mighty-Mites and feel the difference in your ride.

We welcome your evaluations to be posted on this Forum. It will be helpful to all to get the first hand opinions of those who are actually using the product.

Finally, Dave and I want to thank you for your patience. We know at the bottom of all of the opinions expressed on this Forum, that each of you cares deeply for your motorcycle and that you want the best protection for your engine and the most comfort for your ride. Hammerhead Engineering, LLC is dedicated to provide those benefits for you, and we leave no stone unturned to give you our best every time.

Ride Safe - Ride Cool, Steve

Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

3. Speed under 1 MPH

4. Engine RPM under 1200

^^^^. What he said.