Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX speed wobble...but different.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:18 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FXDX speed wobble...but different.

Hey everyone! So I know the wobble issue has been beaten to death on the forums, but here is my issue. Im getting a strange wobble in the front end or what feels to be the front. Above 80+ a few times the front has sort of weaved from side to side very badly. This is not a tank slapper or the known rear end wobble. The best way I can explain it is imagine the you're on a boat just floating there and the waves rock the boat side to side, but much faster back and forth. That might make not sense, but its hard to explain. It only does it when going straight and holding a consistent speed on the freeway. Its happened once when passing a vehicle and once when I was cut off and had to get over quickly, causing me to exit the HOV lane over the huge reflectors here in CA. I have to back down to about 60 for it to stop after the infamous "Oh Sh*t Im about to die" moment.

Now before you chime in, The neck bearings are fine, fall away is set correctly, tires have about 1k miles (commander 2s). It also has a fork brace and GPR and true track stabilizers. I also changed from very stiff progressive springs to Race Tech springs with 10wt oil. Its perfectly stable in every other aspect. Now before the parts were added, the bike never wobbled like this at much higher speeds than mentioned above. Since so many things were added, its hard to diagnose.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is I also added a T sport fairing as well. The bike did not have a T fairing when I purchased it, this was added with everything else mentioned above. But, this still does not make sense because I previously owned a FXDXT which as you know comes with a fairing and never had this issue.

Im stumped, I can't figure it out and its taking the enjoyment out of riding this thing. Maybe a tire out of balance? Maybe the fairing in the wind is directing the air in a strange manner? Maybe the bike is too solid and stable with all the added goodies? possibly the fork forks being ever so slightly out of adjustment and the wheel tracking untrue? Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,030 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
It also has a fork brace and GPR and true track stabilizers. I also changed from very stiff progressive springs to Race Tech springs with 10wt oil. Its perfectly stable in every other aspect. Now before the parts were added, the bike never wobbled like this at much higher speeds than mentioned above. Since so many things were added, its hard to diagnose.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is I also added a T sport fairing as well. The bike did not have a T fairing when I purchased it, this was added with everything else mentioned above. But, this still does not make sense because I previously owned a FXDXT which as you know comes with a fairing and never had this issue.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Suspension induced wobble..., or an aerodynamic induced wobble

We don't know

Remove the fairing..., take a ride..., see if wobble still occurs

Next after the fairing would be the fork brace

And may need to keep removing the recent mods till you find the source

Otherwise you could be chasing your tail for awhile

Ghost

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:08 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

God hates purple.

Seriously though, start with the first post.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 AM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a play with the tyre pressures, a few psi either way can make a difference. When I ran those tyres they were sensitive to pressure. Also wheel bearings? Just a thought. Good luck in finding the cause, sucks when your ride has a problem and you don't know what it is.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

Nomad - I thought about the bearings as well, they're new too though. Tire pressure, Makes sense, Ill have to play with that and see.

Ghost - Im not a purple bike fan, but its the original color and clean. it will probably get painted when everything else is finished.

Im going to pull the fairing and put some miles down this weekend and see how that goes first.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the weave you are talking about on my '08 Wide Glide. Happened in a straight line on the highway over 70 mph, the bike would rock slowly side to side. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong but adjusted the fork stem bearing and it still did it.

It also affected handling in the curves. Sometimes the bike would dive over too easily, sometimes it was normal and sometimes I had to put extra effort into it.

I put the bike on a lift and found I could move the rear wheel and swing arm from side to side. Replaced the swing arm bushings and the rear pivot bearing. That solved the problem.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,030 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Ghost - Im not a purple bike fan, but its the original color and clean. it will probably get painted when everything else is finished.
LOL - HrdNox was just yankin your chain - don't think god really gives a **** what color we ride

Get this wobble fixed and able to ride at speed - name it the purple people eater

Im going to pull the fairing and put some miles down this weekend and see how that goes first.
Cool = we can see what..., if any affect that has - then go from there

Take copious notes..., no tickets..., and ride safe

Ghost

Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

keep in mind that it may not be one modification but the result of the combination of several of the modifications...

I am curious...does the rocking feel like it is coming from the center of the bike or the front end? IOW, is the front end following or inducing the wobble? joe.1955 made a very interesting point with the rear swing arm...seems like that kind of wobble would feel centered around the engine and the front end would be following and not initiating the wobble...

Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joe.1955
I had the weave you are talking about on my '08 Wide Glide. Happened in a straight line on the highway over 70 mph, the bike would rock slowly side to side. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong but adjusted the fork stem bearing and it still did it.

It also affected handling in the curves. Sometimes the bike would dive over too easily, sometimes it was normal and sometimes I had to put extra effort into it.

I put the bike on a lift and found I could move the rear wheel and swing arm from side to side. Replaced the swing arm bushings and the rear pivot bearing. That solved the problem.
Yes! I have the same issue in turns as well, Ill get the bike up and check it when I get home today.

Ghost - I know, everyone always does, its all good. It has many names, but right now its the purple turd until it gets fixed!

Skinman - I was thinking the same thing as you, its visibly noticeable front the front end and that's where I feel it the most. But honestly, when Its moving around going that fast, I cant tell exactly where its coming from.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Cheap and easy stuff first. Tire pressure first front and rear. Then remove the fairing but I doubt that's it. Then check swing arm bearings.

The key is only do one thing at a time then test ride. Like front pressure first, test ride, then rear tire pressure. I run 30 (f) and 40 (r) on my 08 Dyna Lowrider with good results.

Quick Reply: FXDX speed wobble...but different.