Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "too cold" to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Dress right and adjust fluid/lubricant viscosities and there's really no limit beyond comfort and practicality. Probably not a great idea to run an airhead in arctic temps but I doubt it would actually hurt the engine...just run crappy. My first concern after fluids would be plastics getting brittle.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

If you have heated gear for those cold days your rides most likely will be more enjoyable. My commute to work is about 40 minutes and the cold sinks in little by little as the minutes pass by. Even with all the layering up I used to do that cold still found its way to my upper torso, I use heated gloves and a vest which help a ton and its a lot more comfy not needing all the layers. Also, a wind screen and full face help a lot, but they are referenced based, not everyone like one or the other or either.

Cold temps shouldn't discourage you from riding, its the potential dangers winter brings that you just need to be more aware of. I have been close to zero, but will only ride as long as there aren't conditions for ice or snow on the road. Those bridges that say they will ice before the roads do, believe them, it's not fun hitting one of them while on the throttle and finding out your traction is gone.

I keep my bike outside most of the year, I have a shed that it goes in but depending on the ground conditions it either has to wait to go in or to come out because of the moisture in the ground. I envy those with a garage! So when it stays out during the winter it has an all-weather cover, which is nice for riding prep time. The cover also allows me to put my trickle charges on the bike seat and have it going while it is covered, nothing sucks the battery life out like the cold.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,276 Likes on 11,145 Posts

Definitely not in slippery conditions.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Lol I'm about 20 minutes north of Detroit so yes I'm in southeast Michigan. I don't know what else you want me to call it? Lower-right Michigan? Lol just sayin.

I live a half mile from the MI/OH line directly below you. Det to me is mid Michigan LOL

Much High that that is Canada "AKA the UP" lol

They are talking big snow the next couple of weeks dress warm and be safe.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 330 Posts

When you unit crawls back inside.

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Depend on how far you go. But it's sure not safe in bad weather, below freezing or black ice conditions. Bikes are a hobby for most. I am not sure how you can ever learn what to do a Harley if you slide out. In a car, it's no big deal to practice and at the proper speed, no big deal unless someone else ruins your day.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been on my bike down to around -5 or 23 degs. To cold for me but bike was fine, started snowing too! That was on a street bob some years back no screen and an open face helmet!! The joys of living in Scotland. Regularly ride in the 30s though with no worries at all.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I find if its too cold out, my motor doesnt have a chance to warm properly, thats when it runs like im pulling a load and the power is not too great. Or when I lose conscienceness from my nads freezing up.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:23 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have a temperature bottom but won't ride when there is ice on the road.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:29 PM
fxdl1911
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The coldest I'll go is about 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I ride as late as I can here in northern CT. No windshield on my Low Rider. It fogs up a bit, but I have a full face that I wear when it's cold, my father's old leather jacket and chaps that he had for the cold with his old '79 1/2 Low Rider. Nice thick stuff and it works great. My gauntlet gloves are okay for a while before the cold gets through, but that's nothing that reaching down and grabbing the jugs at a stoplight can't fix. I usually winterize the bike when the threat of snow causes the state to put salt on the roads.

Quick Reply: What is "too cold" to ride?