Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader vs Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm at 2.5 years on my Thunderheader. The mounting bracket finally has a crack. The black coating is so-so. All the welds on the actual exhaust look fine still from what I can see with it on the bike. I'm going to pull it this winter, get the bracket welded up, and maybe get the exhaust recoated.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I think it's hit an miss with a TH. I have read plenty of stories like Dyna Kid describes about the TH, but rare to hear the same about Bassani.... I will say, maybe the increase in accounts of defectiveness is due to more people running a TH. For me, I LOVE the sound of a TH, but didn't want to deal with dragging the pipe, and the craftsmanship issues i read about.

That said, I keep eyeballing the TH slip-ons at my local dealer, and wondering if I can fab one up to my Bassani header tubes.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 12-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:04 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
Front jug head pipe broke at the collector, and at the flange that goes into the head. I saw it in person, didn't feel the need to document it as it wasn't my pipe, therefore it wasn't my issue. The pipe wasn't wrapped, bike wasn't abused, so no rhyme or reason as to why it broke. As far as evidence that they wouldn't do anything, I'll be sure to get on the conference call next time.

Just sharing an experience, not saying they are all garbage...want to run one, be my guest. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself, the sound and look is classic, but after seeing how that pipe fell apart I changed my mind. Quality-wise I'm going Bassani every time.

Edit: Here's a pic, had to dig thru three months of conversation to find it...keep in mind, 6 month old pipe on a relatively non-abused bike (unless you count going fast as abuse)

That looks like the result of stress from improper install, but could easily be poor manufacturing. Hard to really say. Either way, I'm shocked that they weren't supportive/didn't cover the pipes under warranty. My point, though, wasn't that I didn't really believe your story. I think we are all in agreement that TH has had a sketchy rep for quality. But they have, in my experience, stood behind their product and made right any issues I've ever seen anyone have. Also, FWIW, I ran them trouble free for a year. They were even wrapped . But ended up switching to Bassani when I had the motorwork done.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:33 PM
xknucksx
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked my thunderheader up used 4 years ago it was off an 05 and put it on my 06, I've since tried out most 2 into 1s and always feel like the TH responds the best on MY bike, however i can say that i absolutely hate the finish i have to touch it up every season and I'm purely bored of the look but can't get deny the sound and performance one bit.

I prefer the look of the RR2 on my bike, would like to try out the RR3 because i dig the look even more so. Ill throw in wanting to try out the TBR or the Magnaflow also, ill be snagging one of the 3 after income tax time.

The following users liked this post:
MagnaFlow (12-19-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:56 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

If you like the look and sound of the Thunderheader but are concerned about build quality, you might want to check out Red Thunder. They build what is basically a stainless TH clone, with the possibility of a few different options... Not cheap, but I'm intrigued by them.

https://www.facebook.com/redthunderexhaust/
https://www.instagram.com/redthunder_exhaust/?hl=en

The European home site seems to be down right now, although I've been on it before.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F86
If you like the look and sound of the Thunderheader but are concerned about build quality, you might want to check out Red Thunder. They build what is basically a stainless TH clone, with the possibility of a few different options... Not cheap, but I'm intrigued by them.

https://www.facebook.com/redthunderexhaust/
https://www.instagram.com/redthunder_exhaust/?hl=en

The European home site seems to be down right now, although I've been on it before.
wow... way better quality

Old 12-17-2016, 08:01 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had both I'll take my TH all day everyday.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been running th for 20 years and went with bassani for clearance and quality. th is not the same product it used to be

Old 12-18-2016, 05:49 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bassani

Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I have TH. Scraped it before, but after getting 13.5 and +2 fork tubes - no more. Sounds great. Bike is very much alive (96i) Finish sucks. Bracket is cracking. Will pull it off when doing cams and paint w/ bbq paint, weld bracket.
If I was buying new - probably wouldn't be my choice, would get RR3

Quick Reply: Thunderheader vs Road Rage