Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader vs Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:40 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,527 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Give that RR a chance. I was not crazy about mine the first couple months. I definitely like the appearance of the shorter RR over the long *** TH

Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Give that RR a chance. I was not crazy about mine the first couple months. I definitely like the appearance of the shorter RR over the long *** TH
awe man, i love my RRII. the power bump was amazing. very happy

Old 12-22-2016, 11:13 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had 5 Thunderheaders on various bikes. Build quality is questionable on all of them. The one that had a chrome defect (bubbled up when bike was started for the first time) was warrantied in 1 day.

What most people don't get about the T-header is that you can't just bolt it on. You need to take the time to shim the pipe to the mount so that there is no tension on it. Then there's no torsional flex and no reason for it to break. People who have breakage just bolt the pipe and mount together and ram it home.

it's a peculiar quirk of a Thunderheader.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING sounds as good as a Thunderheader. The baffle is unique, and that is what creates the sound. Armchair quarterbacks all over tell you they don't perform. I'm here to tell you BS. They do if your tuner knows what's up.

I burned a hole in one on my Street Bob so I had it twisted. Looked pretty cool, and didn't scrape any more.

Last edited by JCleary; 12-22-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

That does look rad^

Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

My th o my dyna. Sounds great and I like a one piece pipe as apposed to a one that has a muffler and a clamp

And my kerker on my softail

The van is not mine

Old 12-22-2016, 12:00 PM
badvlvo
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Installed the RR3 on mine yesterday and rode into town to compare to a friends Dyna with the TH. TH sounds a bit deeper, mellower, the RR is crisp and has a bark to it when you crack the throttle.

On the highway the TH is quieter, but that could be because it is further back. The RR3 ends right at the shock mount on the swingarm, so you hear a lot. WOT from behind the TH and RR are both loud, but I think the TH is a little quieter where the RR gets real loud. Higher pitch in the tone from the RR, the TH is noticeably deeper in note. I prefer the RR sound as it doesn't sound like every other Harley blatting away with open pipes.

The RR build quality is excellent, installed with no drama, and after heat cycling it properly it turned a nice gold color that looks just right on my FXDLS.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:16 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by badvlvo
Installed the RR3 on mine yesterday and rode into town to compare to a friends Dyna with the TH. TH sounds a bit deeper, mellower, the RR is crisp and has a bark to it when you crack the throttle.

On the highway the TH is quieter, but that could be because it is further back. The RR3 ends right at the shock mount on the swingarm, so you hear a lot. WOT from behind the TH and RR are both loud, but I think the TH is a little quieter where the RR gets real loud. Higher pitch in the tone from the RR, the TH is noticeably deeper in note. I prefer the RR sound as it doesn't sound like every other Harley blatting away with open pipes.

The RR build quality is excellent, installed with no drama, and after heat cycling it properly it turned a nice gold color that looks just right on my FXDLS.
I agree on every point. I'm super happy with my RR3. Distinctive raspy sound, strong performance, plenty of ground clearance, straightforward install, strong build quality.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 PM
TJ->
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the RR2 Mega Power on my Street Bob. It sounds a lot better after installing the quiet baffle IMO. Sounds like a vintage muscle car when the throttle is cracked open. Great power after a bit of dyno time. Quality is top notch and dealing with Bassani was a very pleasant experience.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:15 PM
badvlvo
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ->
I have the RR2 Mega Power on my Street Bob. It sounds a lot better after installing the quiet baffle IMO. Sounds like a vintage muscle car when the throttle is cracked open. Great power after a bit of dyno time. Quality is top notch and dealing with Bassani was a very pleasant experience.
After taking it out again this morning I think I'm going to throw the quiet baffle in there, the standard baffle is just too damn loud. I live in a small town, and I'm one of the few who ride year-round, so it's pretty obvious who is making the noise.

But I will say that it sure picked up some power, that stock exhaust was choking this thing real bad.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
TJ->
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by badvlvo
After taking it out again this morning I think I'm going to throw the quiet baffle in there, the standard baffle is just too damn loud. I live in a small town, and I'm one of the few who ride year-round, so it's pretty obvious who is making the noise.

But I will say that it sure picked up some power, that stock exhaust was choking this thing real bad.
The quiet baffle made a big difference. With the standard one, the pipe was just loud without any noticeable power increase. After the quiet baffle and some tuning (SE Street Tuner) the power band has been broadened. I can do highway speeds now in 3rd gear and only turning 3,000 to 3,500 rpm. But once the throttle is cracked open, the bike pulls hard. I'm really happy with the RR 2

Quick Reply: Thunderheader vs Road Rage